CTaylorJr

Need a science project?

One of the folks that has purchased each of my fossil fish collection sent me a pic that she wanted me to do for her to add to her wall.  No problem, this one would be simple!

I cased the leather, transferred the drawing, and then cut it out with my swivel knife.  Looking good so far, lets start getting some detail work done!   

Nope, the phone rings and I'm told to be on the next plane to El Paso for an investigation.  Ok, dampen the leather a bit, place it into a ziplock bag, and stick it into the beer frig to wait....

Well, my bride, who is absolutely wonderful, found said bagged leather the day after I left.   She thought I had mistakenly put it in the frig, so she took it out and put it back on my bench...

Today, upon my return, I found this...  No, I didn't open it...   

IMG_9638.JPG

You are so lucky to have a spouse that truly cares about you, and won't let you mess up a piece of leather!

We should all be so lucky.   THAT is true love right there in that picture!         I just didn't think it would look like that.

That needs a HazMat team for disposal...
Poor cowhide...;-(

This is how zombies are born.  Burn it with fire!

This is why god invented labels, and writing implements.    

Consider yourself fortunate.   If I put a piece of damp leather in an unmarked bag, and left it in the fridge, I know exactly what would happen.    My dear hubbie would wander through to my workshop to ask me what kind of sandwich meat that was, as it was a bit chewy, and not to bother buying it again.

9 hours ago, immiketoo said:

This is how zombies are born.  Burn it with fire!

I agree!  

7 hours ago, LumpenDoodle2 said:

This is why god invented labels, and writing implements.    

Consider yourself fortunate.   If I put a piece of damp leather in an unmarked bag, and left it in the fridge, I know exactly what would happen.    My dear hubbie would wander through to my workshop to ask me what kind of sandwich meat that was, as it was a bit chewy, and not to bother buying it again.

I don't care who you are, THAT is a funny mental image!  :rofl:

Needs hot sauce. It'll be fine.

Put..put it in a frame on the wall...

YinTx

Leather and moisture dont mix well.. as long as your vegetable tanned stuff dont get any close to moisture rich places it wont grow molds..

i had some vegetable tanned goat hide sitting near a window, it rained a every other day and it was a bit windy so some of the cold and moist air seeped in. after a few days, the goat hides grew some molds.

but, i had some cow hide - about 5 mm thick - it sat under a bed for over a year now and has been kept dry - never grew molds.

I bet you're a real... Ahem... Fungi... To be around

Funny thread! So many funny comments. Haha. 

I liked the "needs hot sauce" reply, the best. ;-)

That's a sorry looking piece of good carving hide...

Better luck next time. 

ChasCS