Just a simple little wallet that just holds the essentials, recently added to my Etsy shop.  The design comes from Chan Geer in an article that was published in the Leather Crafter's and Saddler's Journal several years ago.  The stamp on the outside is a Barry King shell stamp and filler that I'm beginning to fall in love with.  I laced the edges on this one but the next one is probably going to be hand sewn.  I've got a custom order for a personalized one and I want to make a few more for the shop in time for Christmas.

Thanks for any feedback you might have.

front close.jpeg

interior 1.jpeg

closeup.jpeg

10 minutes ago, ByNelson said:

Beautiful work sir... I understand why you love the stamp! 

Thanks!  Barry King makes several variations on this shell stamp design but this one is my favorite right now.  I just love all the detail to it.

20 minutes ago, Bob Blea said:

Thanks!  Barry King makes several variations on this shell stamp design but this one is my favorite right now.  I just love all the detail to it.

I see, but you still need a steady hand to pull it off :) 

Wow, really stunning. Had the same mesmerizing effect(if not more so) as a well stamped basket weave. Simple but elegant (simple being used loosely here) 

I've been back and forth on a lacing chisel because I didn't know if I should get an angled or straight one, but I like the look of the angled one here so, I've made up my mind haha. 

Also, on the card pockets, is there something on the backside keeping the cards from slipping to the bottom? Or just two slots cut in the pocket leather?

3 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

Wow, really stunning. Had the same mesmerizing effect(if not more so) as a well stamped basket weave. Simple but elegant (simple being used loosely here) 

I've been back and forth on a lacing chisel because I didn't know if I should get an angled or straight one, but I like the look of the angled one here so, I've made up my mind haha. 

Also, on the card pockets, is there something on the backside keeping the cards from slipping to the bottom? Or just two slots cut in the pocket leather?

Thanks for the compliment.  You might find this set of stamps to be easier than a basket weave.  It doesn't require as much lining up as a basket weave and it goes much quicker!

On the lacing I was taught to use angles slits for things like double or triple loop lacing because the angle of the stitches makes them lie better.  But for something like Mexican round braid, you want the straight slit lines.  Just depends on what you will end up doing more often.

For the pockets, there is a nylon ribbon glued inside the pocket that separates the two card slots.  The ribbon is about 2 1/2 inches wide and is folded accordion style and glued between two pieces of leather that make up the pocket.  The construction is covered in the article I mentioned and there was a long post on here (somewhere) that I was involved in where I made up a test version and abused it by sliding a card in and out of it really hard for a long time.  It is still on my desk and showing no signs or failing.

Another Fort Collins (AKA Ft. Fun) vote for the accordion pleat mentioned in the article. I made a wallet for my trophy wife and it's still going strong. Not difficult to do, and does the job.

I'm loving that stamp. I've been falling back on the various basket-weave too often lately.

Thanks for the pics, Bob! And for the tip about straight slits for Mex. round braid. I'm planning on more lacing in my immediate future.

That stamp is spectacular.

3 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

That stamp is spectacular.

Mutt! Where ya been?!And i agree with ya.

Busy with life, Buddy. Also, just haven't been inspired in awhile.

I still been poking my head in every couple of days though.

Thanks Bob, I'm a subscriber to the leather Crafters and saddlers journal but just in the past year. I'll try and find your post on it here. Thanks.

That pattern is magnificent and that braid looks perfect!

That stamp is quite awesome and looks well executed!