Mjolnir

Clam, on the half shell.

This prototype is done. I'll still tinker with it, heh heh, but this works just fine. It's so fat it rests very comfortably between my legs on the couch or at my bench.

20171203_182613_resized_1.jpg

Your prototypes blow my finished product right out of the water. Dang!

Really nice work.

Much appreciated. I'm excited to make version 2. Any advice on a fair price? Materials were about 20 bucks. time was... relative, a few minutes a day for a week.

Very nice clam

It must be worth $50. If time taken is almost irrelevant, around twice the cost of materials seems pretty fair to me. 

this was a proof of concept. Just started steaming Clam 2.0. It is functional art. I'm trembling in my boots! I'll have pics of each step and a break down of time spent and materials bought.

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 3:46 PM, Rockoboy said:

It must be worth $50. If time taken is almost irrelevant, around twice the cost of materials seems pretty fair to me. 

PS. LOL! I said, ' relative", not irrelevant.... I worked on it every day for a week after work, during commercials, over the weekend, lost track of time because it was fun:). I also lowballed the materials because they will extend the more I make.(didn't even add brass screws dowels and fromers tongue oil, sand paper...etc.  Art my friend.

Anything worth doing like that would be at least a hundred, hrmph, "clams".

You have to make it worth dealing with the hassle of people, shipping, labor, materials, etc.etc.etc.

2.0 is scary. I'm an artist. sculpture is my talent. not woodwork. no one has seen the likes of the one I have steaming now.

25 minutes ago, Mjolnir said:

2.0 is scary. I'm an artist. sculpture is my talent. not woodwork. no one has seen the likes of the one I have steaming now.

200 then. Haha

@Mjolnir   

Woah thats a sick clam man. Don't think I've ever seen one with such a wide throat! 

Is that Oak? 

I've always seen them hinged. Are you worried about the stress that the screws will take opening and closing?

Clams this nice usually go for $180 & up -  https://www.rmleathersupply.com/collections/tools/products/foldable-french-stitching-clam-110-cm

'Mutt and Flagship supply are closer to a realistic price..and even then yours looks nicer, appears more solid, so..I'd go for $250 to $300..the ones in France ( nowhere near as good as yours ) go from around the equivalent of $100 for "crappy" to around $250 to $300 for good..of course that includes the "made in France" ( well sold in France but made in China ) mystique cachet "surtax"...affects lot of tools ( especially leather working and fashion "mode" tools and items ) here..

The way I see making things like that is , price high and fair..you put your hands , your head and your heart into making them, and you always have to add some for compensation for dealing with people..

Jean Paul Sartre said, "hell is other people"..wise man ..

Edited by mikesc

50 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:
30 minutes ago, flagshipsupply said:

@Mjolnir   

Woah thats a sick clam man. Don't think I've ever seen one with such a wide throat! 

Is that Oak? 

I've always seen them hinged. Are you worried about the stress that the screws will take opening and closing?

Clams this nice usually go for $180 & up -  https://www.rmleathersupply.com/collections/tools/products/foldable-french-stitching-clam-110-cm

Red oak,. and pine. next gen is hinged because I don't have three hands. I'm stress testing, but it's not a bow. I've researched the resin infusion. going for what I know. Ps there is no stress on the screws.

200 then. Haha

Done!

Edited by Mjolnir

you have to taste the popcorn before the movie!

half shell 2.jpg

Friends,

Excuse my ignorance. What is that for???

…..RVM45

2 minutes ago, RVM45 said:

Friends,

Excuse my ignorance. What is that for???

…..RVM45

you tell me! I'm about to sew my first knife case and i'm thinking I'll have to redesign the whole thing! to answer your question, it holds, clamps, clams two or more pieces of leather together for stitching.

Looking at your pics again, and considering all that has been written here, I am thinking the $50 worth of red wine I had consumed that night had 'altered my eyesight opinion'.

Definitely well worth $200 - $250, especially as it has been made in high quality timber like oak ... and the workmanship is exceptional as well.

Awesome work !

20 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

Looking at your pics again, and considering all that has been written here, I am thinking the $50 worth of red wine I had consumed that night had 'altered my eyesight opinion'.

Definitely well worth $200 - $250, especially as it has been made in high quality timber like oak ... and the workmanship is exceptional as well.

@Rockoboy  A healthy volume of wine makes the world go round. 

Should be a fun weekend. total experimentation. hinged, brassed, an opening that is a surprise for me and you if I can pull it off. A leveraged lock. Attached to a 360 pivot!? WHAT!!??

prep.jpg

Nice.

2 hours ago, Mjolnir said:

Should be a fun weekend. total experimentation. hinged, brassed, an opening that is a surprise for me and you if I can pull it off. A leveraged lock. Attached to a 360 pivot!? WHAT!!??

prep.jpg

Ooh...purty. 
Is that some walnut I see there?
What an interesting design. I'm sure you'll keep us posted about how much fun you're having working it all out!

Not walnut. I'll go with the some walnut soon though. I stained some of the parts. Giving them a light sanding for an antiqued look. Got a late start this weekend, stain dry's slow in the cold.

20171217_105905_resized_1.jpg

Sweet, 

just curious how much movement you get in the wood after it cools down from being steamed? Am thinking about trying that out with some mango wood, i made myself a pony a couple years ago out of mango and like your clam better than the clamp i made,,, just curious if i need to way over bend to get final curves or if it sits pretty good.