I’ve just finished this it’s my first go at a straight razor roll. The intention was to 7 pockets but a slight miscalculation on my part meant it turned out to be 6 so that’s another lesson learnt, next one will have 7.

Done with 2mm veg tan lined with pig skin and pockets are 1.5mm veg tan.

OecTJj1.jpg

wCl3y01.jpg

grf8KFC.jpg

G6B68zI.jpg

QJJ22Lp.jpg

Cw1cY7D.jpg

I was thinking of making a straight razor roll but was worried about rust. Have you noticed any so far?

@battlemunky, I'm sure you know but just in case you didn't, so long as you don't expose the metal to chrome tanned leather you should be ok. Chrome tan will eventually damage metal surfaces. A thin Veg tan would be great for this application. 

The roll looks great too

Nice looking roll! 

@Stetson912 I was more concerned with leather liking to hold environmental moisture, like humidity and such. I knew that chrome tanned isn't friendly but depending on where the roll is kept, like in a bathroom for instance, and that leather sucked up the humidity after showers, I'd be afraid I'd see some rusting. My dad made a felt straight roll and it had a similar result. I have a really old Wade and Butcher that is a couple hundred bucks that it would be a punch to the gut to lose to rust.

Ohh I see your point. That would be a shame to see that rust :/

On 1/10/2018 at 9:43 PM, Stetson912 said:

Chrome tan will eventually damage metal surfaces.

I learn something new here everytime I visit.  Makes total sense but it just never occurred to me.  Thanks @Stetson912

On 1/10/2018 at 8:43 PM, Stetson912 said:

@battlemunky, I'm sure you know but just in case you didn't, so long as you don't expose the metal to chrome tanned leather you should be ok. Chrome tan will eventually damage metal surfaces. A thin Veg tan would be great for this application. 

The roll looks great too

I mentioned this to my brother, thinking veg tan would be better, and he just laughed at me.  Proceeded to show me several of his pocket knives that were in decent veg tan sheathes, in a safe that has dessicant, and the brass bolsters were GREEN where they touched the leather.  He said from now on it is kydex or nylon sheaths.  So now I am confused.  Which is it I should be using? Veg or chrome? Or neither for metal?

YinTx

@Webicons no worries. I'm not an expert by any means but the chromium salts tend to oxidize metals, and that's what's used to tan chrome tanned leather. The advantage is that it's a much faster process. 

@YinTx veg tan is what you want to use if it's contacting metal. If I understand correctly, common brass is mostly copper and zinc. It will tarnish over time, Unless you clean it regularly. I don't believe it matters what it's sitting in. I'm not a knife or metallurgy expert though. This is just what I've experienced myself. 

I keep my knives in vegtan and they are fie. I mainly use carbon steel so they can rust but don't really. Brass and copper will if they contact the leather, like the bolsters on a Buck 110 are impossible to keep from going green unless you are using it often.

As far as straight razors though, I'm a bit more picky. I currently keep them rolled in some anticorrosive paper and in one of those small tool boxes with a zerust pack in it just to be safe.

My knives though, I don't have any collectibles so I can just take them out and knock any rust off of them if need be. Beat it through a log or carve something and the rust goes away too.

Nice and clean work indeed... I plan something similar but for Bottles with some sort of essential oils for a friend of mine... and I will use felt for the corpus, leather for the strap and canvas for the flaps --- so maybe felt would come in handy also???

2 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

@YinTx veg tan is what you want to use if it's contacting metal. If I understand correctly, common brass is mostly copper and zinc. It will tarnish over time, Unless you clean it regularly. I don't believe it matters what it's sitting in. I'm not a knife or metallurgy expert though. This is just what I've experienced myself. 

Thanks for the info.

2 hours ago, battlemunky said:

As far as straight razors though, I'm a bit more picky. I currently keep them rolled in some anticorrosive paper and in one of those small tool boxes with a zerust pack in it just to be safe.

And from what I am reading, if you are concerned about your metal, don't store it in leather.  IE, if you have a nice pistol or rifle, don't store it in a leather holster?

Stormcrow, I think I failed to mention:  Nice roll!  I tried to make one a while back, it was a complete failure.  Haven't had a chance to try it again.  But for sure I will take a look at your design and construction before I do!

YinTx

Yeah, I think if you have anything of real value you want to keep nice and pristine, you store it elsewhere but can carry it in leather.

I have seen leather tool rolls with plastic and kydex inserts in the compartments. When the blade is removed the sheath comes out with it. I have also seen one where the sheath was drilled and stitched into the compartment 

I've got a Ruger single six and a 1911 that live in their holsters. No problems. Just oil em every now and again. That said, they aren't super pretty valuable guns either lol. More utilitarian. I would agree with munky, if it's a high end something or another, best to keep it in it's own 'archival' case

Just finished this one, this time I've done the lining and pockets with suede exterior is veg tan.

LjBNbUB.jpg

MqKRFMn.jpg

fJKAkKQ.jpg

lPq2DaR.jpg

pm5RXGT.jpg

Beautiful roll Sir!

Wow, that roll looks wonderful. Nice work.

very neat and professional sir, good job!