Brahmus

Book recommendation for beginner

I  just finished my first attempt at carving/tooling an oak leaf w/ acorn. It looks like utter crap. Naturally I am quite proud of it but would like a resource to help me improve. I would like to get one of the Stohlman books but I don't know what would be the best to start out with. If a book from a different author might be a better option feel free to recommend those.

I am not artistic by nature so I think I would prefer the older Tandy/western style for the simpler designs.  My goal is to carve a small item every night for knife practice and tool on the days I get home early enough to make noise. The books I was considering are:

Stohlman

• How To Carve Leather
  • Tech-Tips
  • Figure Carving Book
  • Pictorial Carving Book

Peter Main

• Stohlman Step by Step

If I could find a copy of Leather Secrets by F.O. Baird that I could afford I would get that. That doesn't seem likely.

I have not looked at Western Floral Designs by Bob Park or Sheridan Style Carving by Bill Gardner because Sheridan style intimidates me and I feel like simpler designs will be better to learn with and improve my ability and confidence.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

The books you have listed are good places to start.  Also Lucky seven for wallets  and lucky eight for belts are good how to books that would be good for beginners.  Lucky seven has small projects that you can do in a sitting.  All have good pointers and tips.  Once you get a good understanding of the principles in these books, Sheridan style will not be so intimidating.  The principles of stamping are the same regardless of the style of pattern.   Good luck!

You'll need this one long before the others...

KIMG0056-1170x2080.JPG

I am a self taught carver. You cannot go wrong with the first 4 books you listed. I have them all and still refer to them 42 years later.

Some of the tools listed i the books are no longer available , but Tandy (Craftool) does have a conversion chart (attached).

Craftool Conversion Chart.pdf

I found a used copy of this book:
 Leatherwork Manual, by Stohlman, et al. (Here at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Leatherwork-Manual-Patten-Wilson-Stohlman/dp/B007QGQ8PM/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1516419918&sr=1-1&keywords=leatherwork+manual+stohlman)

It's a basic illustrated step-by-step leatherworking course in a book from 50 years ago, which introduces basic techniques:
How to prep the leather for carving (casing the leather), and skiving.
how to use the standard tools (swivel knife, beveler, shader, camoflage, etc.)
Basic dye work. 
Basic edging. 
Some simple projects with patterns. 
It gives some lacing patterns (which is why I have it), but not much information about stitching. 

I don't have any of the other books mentioned, so I can't say if this one is going to be better for your needs than those ones already mentioned. 

I have a lot of Stohlman books and keep going back to them...no just the carving/tooling ones but the sewing, case building , holsters, belts galore, tools, general craft etc.

Thank you for the help everybody. I think I will start with How to Carve Leather and check out the Lucky 7/8 and Tools books when I am in the store. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something that was accepted as better/best for a beginner learning to carve that I was unaware of.

10 hours ago, Brahmus said:

Thank you for the help everybody. I think I will start with How to Carve Leather and check out the Lucky 7/8 and Tools books when I am in the store. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something that was accepted as better/best for a beginner learning to carve that I was unaware of.

Good choices, the Figure and Pictorial books are great, but not the thing if you want to learn floral carving.  These and others are also available in .PDF format from Tandys leathercraft library online for a bit less cash.  

If you're a 'video learner", I'd also recommend Tandys video series with Jim Linnell.  It's a good intro to floral carving.

Also, I concur completely with Bikermutt - Leathercraft Tools book is essential.  Your tools HAVE to be very VERY sharp to be effective.

I'd also suggest practice, practice, practice.  Use some scrap tooling leather and just make some cuts with your swivel knife to learn control ... Make a bunch of "S" cuts - practice easing into and out of cuts.  Make your "S" cuts from both directions.  Work on making some circles with a cut from left and right - make concentric circles around each other keeping distance between equal and symmetrical.   Once you have some lines, you can also experiment with bevelers and learn how to get smooth bevels.   (Yeah... It's boring, but like practicing scales in music or lines when drawing - it's the basics and gets you comfortable with your tools).

When you are comfortable with your tools, pick a simple-ish pattern and do it over several times - critique and learn from each one.  Rounders are a good item to use for these exercises.  They're not overly expensive, not too big, not too small, and you can use 'em as drink coasters when they're finished.  There's also the opportunity to experiment with dyes, antiques and finishes on these.  (PS  ... Highly recommend Fiebings dyes, antiques and finishes over Tandy's eco-flo products).

Hope that helps!

-Bill

I actually ordered a pack of 25 3.75" rounders from Springfield last night to use for practice and experimenting with dyes/acrylic/finishes. I had read on another thread here somebody said to do the same carving 5 times. Each time critique what you didn't like about the carving and work on improving those things in the next one. So I figure I can do that with 5 patterns and should start making some progress. I will take a look at the Leathercraft Tools book. I've never looked at it- just thought it listed what each tool is for, didn't know it had more than that. I figured I more or less know what the tools I have are for so it would just lead me down the pay of buying more stuff i probably don't need. If it has a lot of use and maintenance information then I will try and pick up a copy. 

As far as the Fiebings dyes, are all of their dyes good, or just the professional oil dyes? I am in California for the next couple months so I can't get the pro dyes here. Should I hold off on buying any dye until I make it to the great state of Texas (should be moving in 2-3 months)?

Regular dye and pro dye are both good.   Pro dye is a bit more vibrant, using petroleum based (IE synthetic) colors in alcohol based carrier.   Regular dye is also alcohol based.  

Colors can be mixed to create different shades ... But mixing between regular and pro can lead to surprises.

Both are a bit easier to use and control when diluted with denatured alcohol, rubbing alcohol, or (sinfully wasting) vodka or everclear.

Sometimes you can get even the stuff that's illegal in Cali via eBay I've heard... 

At some point, you may want to take a look at some of the leather color books by Stohlman, or the Fiebings Fantastic Finishes book.  Good stuff!

- Bill

Edited by billybopp

I reckon 5 of a pattern is probably a good number.  Enough to learn at each iteration, and few enough that boredom doesn't overtake ambition and make you want to give it up!   You'll learn something with every one - and it might be fun once you've done with all of those to go back and try each one again - I expect you'll be surprised how much you've learned.

-Bill

1 hour ago, Brahmus said:

As far as the Fiebings dyes, are all of their dyes good, or just the professional oil dyes? I am in California for the next couple months so I can't get the pro dyes here. Should I hold off on buying any dye until I make it to the great state of Texas (should be moving in 2-3 months)?

I am satisfied with regular Fiebings dyes for my small projects. The rounders you mention earlier are great for learning not just how to dye, but how dye works on the leather (i.e. color changes, need multiple coats, is black really black enough, etc.)
You might also want to look at Angelus leather dyes. They are a spirit dye, like Fiebings, but they have colors that Fiebings does not.  I get mine via Dharma Trading, based in California , so as a California resident you should have no trouble getting these shipped to your house. (See Dharma Trading online catalog here: https://www.dharmatrading.com/dyes/angelus-leather-dyes.html?lnav=dyes.html)

I bought some acrylics from Angelus, going to attempt to paint a project for my wife - Valentine's day is coming up! I will have to check out the Angelus dyes as well. They (angelusdirect.com) are about 15 miles from me so shipping was fast. Hopefully will be in San Antonio soon though!

I had bought some of the pro dye from a user on reddit, along with some stamps and some other tools. Unfortunately it was all thrown in a ziplock bag and tossed in a box with no packing so when it got here there was just an empty bottle and a bunch of black tools. Rubbing alcohol and a brush got my tools squared away, but no dye to experiment with.

I would like to get the coloring book by Stohlman, there are just too many books I want to get right now, have to pace myself. I hadn't heard of the Fiebings book so I will add it to my list. My mom was a reference librarian, so I am genetically predisposed to wanting to have a good bookcase full of reference books. I will be slowly adding books as my ability dictates/budget allows.

Thanks again everybody for the help!

wait until you move from books to tools!!!!

57 minutes ago, plinkercases said:

wait until you move from books to tools!!!!

The thought terrifies me

Welcome to a very addictive hobby Brahmus! Very good advice given by others above. Books ( in my opinion and for me, are essential) Libraries can be very helpful. Check with your local library, I have checked out books via " inter-library" loan. Amazing titles  available for two weeks at a time (typical loan period) from all over the country. Can't be in a hurry, and sometimes there is a waiting list. I have held books that I could never afford to own. And others that I am glad I didn't spend my money on. 

Also, used book stores. I have had some very interesting finds. Leather work books from the 60's and 70's. Fun (although mostly in black and white) dated material, but some techniques never go out of style. 

Tools- always ask at flea markets, yard sales and auctions.  One of my best all time buys was at an auction, I was the only bidder. No one else knew what they were or had any interest.  A huge amount of fun can be had just hunting for books and tools. Craig's list is always a good place for tools too. 

Buy the Tandy or Springfield Leather key fob kits when they are on sale. Practical practice items for tooling and finish testing that friends, family and coworkers can actually use. 

BTW- I still have one of my very first practice pieces from the early 80's. I look at it from time to time. Makes me smile...I REALLY sucked at tooling! (compared most I still do, ha ha, but I have FUN)....My 2 cents.

Best

David

On 1/20/2018 at 1:27 PM, DJole said:

You might also want to look at Angelus leather dyes. They are a spirit dye, like Fiebings, but they have colors that Fiebings does not.  I get mine via Dharma Trading, based in California , so as a California resident you should have no trouble getting these shipped to your house.

I live in California, and unless you find a friendly dealer, the Angelus spirit dyes are not for sale to anyone here who is not a manufacturer. They work great if you can get ‘em.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 5:47 PM, Brahmus said:

I  just finished my first attempt at carving/tooling an oak leaf w/ acorn. It looks like utter crap. Naturally I am quite proud of it but would like a resource to help me improve. I would like to get one of the Stohlman books but I don't know what would be the best to start out with. If a book from a different author might be a better option feel free to recommend those.

I am not artistic by nature so I think I would prefer the older Tandy/western style for the simpler designs.  My goal is to carve a small item every night for knife practice and tool on the days I get home early enough to make noise. The books I was considering are:

Stohlman

• How To Carve Leather
  • Tech-Tips
  • Figure Carving Book
  • Pictorial Carving Book

Peter Main

• Stohlman Step by Step

If I could find a copy of Leather Secrets by F.O. Baird that I could afford I would get that. That doesn't seem likely.

I have not looked at Western Floral Designs by Bob Park or Sheridan Style Carving by Bill Gardner because Sheridan style intimidates me and I feel like simpler designs will be better to learn with and improve my ability and confidence.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I have seen Leather Secrets on Ebay priced from 125.00 to 325.00. I vacillated on it until I decided against it. I am still debating  on if that was a good idea. 

I don't think there was much to be gained from "how to carve leather" (even stohlman admitted some of his early work could use some work).  The other three have some great stuff, though.

In the end, if you want to get good at carving leather, the main thing to have is ... leather.  I'm not kidding - I've seen more than one person get so busy buying tools 'n' such they didn't have money to buy decent leather!

Definitely check estate sales and the like -- I had one guy show up, saw my tool rack and said "I didn' t know you use those!  We threw out about 100 of em cuz we didn't know anybody used em."  

Biggest thing is to use QUALITY leather.  Folks talk about saving money (which is never a BAD idea), but the cost difference to move up to the good stuff from the not-so-much is only about $20-30 per side.

I personally started out making belts.  Money saving not the reason, but it worked out well -- since GOOD leather today for a belt is about $12-15 each, so when you booger one (you likely will) then you aren't out much.  Other hand, a wallet carving back is even less money, so maybe there's that (remember, you have to also buy a LINER, though).

jm.jpgpuke3.jpg