ewayne53

I need some ideas for weekend projects

I'm a novice leather worker myself. And my grandsons (12 &16 years of age) are coming to visit for a couple days. They want to make something with me but I'm struggling with what to make. It would be easy if we had a week but we only have 3 days max and of course that's not 8 hrs a day. My daughter said they would love something they could hang off their belts. I first thought knife sheaths but I think that's too high level for them. I also thought about a leather/brass key snap.

I appreciate any ideas.

How about a simple phone case?  You can make it as simple or complex as you want according to their skill level and interest.  Regardless of what you decide to make, I am sure it will be fun to do it with your grandsons and they will remember making projects with you for the rest of their lives!

Gary

easy front pocket wallets, cuffs, comb cases, key fobs, belts? all depends on their attention level

Cool shaped bookmarks. Leather tic-tac-toe games. Or since they are kids in sure they have electronics so maybe some tooled or cool looking cord wraps for gizmos 

Knife sheaths shouldn't be a problem. Go get them both a knife. Then precut the sheathes and mold (if needed). 

Then they will have time to tool and stitch.

You could have it all ready to go when they arrive. 

And who doesn't love a knife grandpa gave them?

When I was twelve my uncle cut a broom stick, drilled some holes and made me nunchuks. My great aunt sewed me a leather sheath. Awesome idea in the early eighties.

nowadays maybe a leather strap to hold a fidget spinner?

2 hours ago, Mjolnir said:

When I was twelve my uncle cut a broom stick, drilled some holes and made me nunchuks. My great aunt sewed me a leather sheath. Awesome idea in the early eighties.

nowadays maybe a leather strap to hold a fidget spinner?

Lol!!! Isn’t that the truth

small, pretty simple knife sheath would be doable.  Like biker said you can pre cut, etc, get some of it knocked out before they get there.  

You could do do something in the morning, let it dry and come back in the evening for the next step.  Just a thought.  It is a lot of fun getting your kids out to help or in your case grandkids

Thanks for everyone's input!! Much appreciated.

Let us know what you guys choose!

Well the kids aren't coming till Easter but I wanted ideas so I could get started planning early. I think I'm going with wet molding a couple of sheaths. That was my first thought but I didn't think about having them molded before they got here.

As I said earlier I'm  definitely a novice so I've been trying a couple project of my own. Didn't take me long to get tired of having to  look for the right tool in the drawer and not having a safe place to lay it. So I decided I needed  a couple of tool racks for my hand tools and stamps. I'm also a woodworker so I got busy looking ideas and scrap wood in the shop. Below is what I came up with. Waiting for some warm weather and I'll get a couple coats of paint and it will be done.

The sheaths are a couple of my first projects. I also made the two wooden handle knives.

Hand Tool Rack.jpg

Stamp Rack 1.jpg

Stamp Rack 2.jpg

IMG_4921.JPG

Knife 1.jpg

Knife 2.jpg

Knife 3.jpg

Pretty good looking knives, well done!

I like that tool rack , and the sheaths are very nice!

Thanks I still have a long way to go on the leather work. I'm proud of what I've done so far but I know they could be much much better. I've recognized some of my errors and will not make those mistakes again. But of course I'll make different mistakes... lol

I took the idea of the tool rack from Tandy and made some modifications. If I were to do another one I would make some changes but you never know till it's done. Same with the stamp rack, I would put more angle to it. The larger holes were suppose to be 5/8 but in my haste I grabbed the wrong bit and made them 3/4" by the time I realized my error it was too late.