Done a few patchwork bags lately and thought I'd share a little of the stages of making with you all. Might help give you some ideas what to do with those bags of scrap you been wondering what to do with. I will post more pictures over the next few days showing one of the bags as it progresses along. If you check my instagram there is a little video footage of the making as well. https://www.instagram.com/p/BgDdzHLnzct/?taken-by=wildharryaustralia

Note there a 5 I think little videos in the one post and you may have to click the picture as it gets to each part to make it play.:dunno:

To start with here are a few pics that show what the later making pictures will be about.

The first 3 pics are the type of bag construction we have just started to make a few of.

DSC01653_resize.JPG

DSC01656_resize.JPG

DSC01668_resize.JPG

The next few pictures are the new diagonal style we have just developed and that is what the following making pics will be looking at.

DSC01676_resize.JPG

DSC01679_resize.JPG

DSC01680_resize.JPG

DSC01681_resize.JPG

DSC01684_resize.JPG

DSC01683_resize.JPG

That's all it for tonight.

Brian

They look great, RockyAussie & thanks for sharing!  

I really appreciate your experience, production creativity and willingness to share!

Just now, Basically Bob said:

They look great, RockyAussie & thanks for sharing!  

I really appreciate your experience, production creativity and willingness to share!

Thanks B.Bob.

Brian, those bags look fantastic!  What are the metal rods you use to attach the straps to the bags?  

Gary

That multi-colored one is one rockin' bag!

Love the design, both ascetically and as a smart way to not waste material. As alpha2 says, colored bag is rockin'. With the multi-colors and the diagonal layout, attention to alignment is critical. The symmetry of the diamonds as they wrap the edges and the way the lines are symmetrical spaced to the edges really gives it a well crafted feeling. 

9 hours ago, garypl said:

Brian, those bags look fantastic!  What are the metal rods you use to attach the straps to the bags?  

Gary

Hey Gary, we have quite a large variety of them that we generally get in from Japan from a wholesaler. They come from different places with all sorts of names but over your side, Ohio Travel bag call them handle loops if that helps. I would get a copy of their online catalogue as they have a large range of stuff and not bad looking quality.

4 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Hey Gary, we have quite a large variety of them that we generally get in from Japan from a wholesaler. They come from different places with all sorts of names but over your side, Ohio Travel bag call them handle loops if that helps. I would get a copy of their online catalogue as they have a large range of stuff and not bad looking quality.

Thanks Brian - I order from them and I will check them out!

Gary

Those look great @RockyAussie

Thank you. With crocodile often elbows and the like get very wobbly and sometimes a little hard to make use of but this is one product we can get away with a fair bit as you will see.

The first step is to sort through the scrap and find bits big enough for the pattern.

1a.JPG1b.JPG

Next step is to do a first cut a bit oversize and the easy way of course is with a clicker press as shown here.

1c.JPG1d.JPG

Once the bits have all been cut we then go onto split them down a bit thinner

1e.JPG1f.JPG

This is then followed by a skive around the edges to improve the look

1g.JPG1h.JPG

And now they are ready to be glued down which we do by spraying on a contact glue.1i.JPG

These pieces are then carefully attached onto a pre sprayed interfacing material. this assists in getting the wobbles to sit a bit flatter.1j.JPG

Now we go on to second cut these pieces and get a way more uniform size to work on further with.1k.JPG

After the second cutting is all done we draw an outline of the bag shape and proceed to lay out the pieces to get the look we like.1l.JPG1o.JPG

1n.JPG

Finding a complimentary colour for the strips is then sorted out.

1m.JPG

With some luck here I have not gone over the file size loading restriction and I will load more tomorrow. B.T.W. Most leathers dont need all this first and second cutting procedure its just that I mostly work with crocodile so please excuse. Brian

These are super fantastic, Brian. Your shop always makes the most impressive looking stuff. 

If you are going to show it in a later post, don't worry about replying, but I'm curious about the "bumpers" you put on the bottom of the bags. How did you attach them?

18 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

These are super fantastic, Brian. Your shop always makes the most impressive looking stuff. 

If you are going to show it in a later post, don't worry about replying, but I'm curious about the "bumpers" you put on the bottom of the bags. How did you attach them?

You could put rivet posts in the stiffener before padding and covering with material, then apply the caps on the other side...just what i would try if i wanted to make something like that.  These are amazing, i can't imagine how tedious it must be to get them all lined up and then sewn together perfectly.

Awesome work.

Brian - gives me a greater appreciation on how much design and assembly effort goes into making a bag!  My hat's off to you and your team.

Gary

6 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

also interested in your system for these too. 
This does look like an amazing use of scraps. Love the process pics so far!

22 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Thanks @bikermutt07. To be honest my wife Mary has more to do with the making I just work out the basic bag design and a few other bits. I will try and get to show a bit on the bottom stop protectors and how they are made as we get along more but for now here is a few pics that will help give the idea. Note that although I have elected to 3d print the support for these pieces they could be made fairly readily by putting 2 pieces of veg together with the different size holes and then skive or sand to shape. Chicago screws are what I have used in this case. I will attach some pics of a similar handle holding system I use on some bags as well again with Chicago screws and in one case a small bag foot as well. Note the bottom bag shows some more uses for the small leftover pieces to go to use.

DSC07532_resize.JPGDSC07330_resize.JPGDSC07334_resize.JPGDSC07317_resize.JPGDSC07537_resize.JPGDSC07539_resize.JPG

22 hours ago, koreric75 said:

You could put rivet posts in the stiffener before padding and covering with material, then apply the caps on the other side...just what i would try if i wanted to make something like that.  These are amazing, i can't imagine how tedious it must be to get them all lined up and then sewn together perfectly.

Yea that happens sometimes.....not sure why.

15 hours ago, Dun said:

also interested in your system for these too. 
This does look like an amazing use of scraps. Love the process pics so far!

Be interesting if we get the patches size down for purses and such.......we wouldn't need stock for 20 years maybe

17 hours ago, garypl said:

Brian - gives me a greater appreciation on how much design and assembly effort goes into making a bag!  My hat's off to you and your team.

Gary

Helps if you're a bit mad I think....or a lot:crazy: Thanks Gary

More next week and have a good weekend you all.

It's just awesome that your wife and you get to work together!   

The more I see the things that you can do with a 3D printer, and a skiver, and a sewing machine, and other tools the more I want them.   Dang ... This is getting expensive!

- Bill

8 hours ago, billybopp said:

It's just awesome that your wife and you get to work together!   

The more I see the things that you can do with a 3D printer, and a skiver, and a sewing machine, and other tools the more I want them.   Dang ... This is getting expensive!

- Bill

Had some years to get all of them though. Now where is that emojie with a trail of money falling away???:unsure: