Ken Nelson

Acquired machines this week

I picked up  two sewing machines from a saddle shop going out of business this week.    They were bought new by an older gentleman and have been lightly used and well taken care of.  I don't know rather to keep them and sell my Cobra Class 4 and Pfaff 545 H4 or sell these two machines.  One is a Juki Pro 2000 by Ferdco, looks and sews like new the other is a Ferdinand walking foot chap machine, both have clutch motors and speed reducers.  Slow and easy to sew on   I could not get the pictures to attach here.  They are pretty cool.

just right click on the image-edit-resize- click on pixels- change value to about half or less. should work.

I would keep all four machines for say 6 months and due some comparison sewing. After comparing the quality/ease of work and taking in to account the availability of repair and accessory parts keep the best and sell the rest.

kgg

Personally I would keep the 545 because its a Pfaff w. large hook and high lift and it most likely will hold its value better than any comparable Chinese machine. Furthermore I´d keep the Cobra 4 because it comes from a company which has a very good reputation in the leather business. I´d get rid of the other 2 as long as they are "as new". My 2 cents ;)

Edited by Constabulary

Here is the Juki Pro 2000  It has a little different feed than my Class 4.  It is in really nice shape, I think.    I will get a picture of the Ferdinand Chap machine up as soon as I figure it out.  Thanks,  Ken

100_1890.JPG

well - that looks like an original JUKI 441 to me with just FERDCO sticker put on. Being honest I would think twice now but most likely I would keep the original JUKI + Pfaff 545. Not because the Juki is better machine but it is THE Original! I also like the stand very much. As often pictures tell more than 1000 words.

Looks like a nice setup. I know if it was me I wouldn't be able to let it go!

Very nice!

That Juki is gorgeous - definitely a keeper in my mind. Ferdco lived off the reputation of that modified Juki long after they stopped using Juki's. I'd be tempted to carefully peel those Ferdco stickers off - the value is really in the Juki brand and all it implies.

I'm voting to keep the Juki and the Pfaff and sell the clones. 

Really like that stand (machine as well).

I have a Cobra Class 4 mounted on a newer Ferdco stand that is a bit heavier, and nicer,  than this stand under this machine.   It is VERY solid but not a roll around,  I guess I could put casters on it but I haven't needed to move it in 4 years. LOL.  

Ferdco actually, or took credit for anyway, developed a little different twist on the feed system on this machine than the Cobra's and Cowboys I have been around.  So far it looks awesome but I will know after I sew a pair of skirts on it.   I am rather excited about it but I have too many machines right now. 

1 hour ago, Ken Nelson said:

but I have too many machines right now. 

Really? :rolleyes2:

1 hour ago, Ken Nelson said:

I have a Cobra Class 4 mounted on a newer Ferdco stand that is a bit heavier, and nicer,  than this stand under this machine.   It is VERY solid but not a roll around,  I guess I could put casters on it but I haven't needed to move it in 4 years. LOL.  

Ferdco actually, or took credit for anyway, developed a little different twist on the feed system on this machine than the Cobra's and Cowboys I have been around.  So far it looks awesome but I will know after I sew a pair of skirts on it.   I am rather excited about it but I have too many machines right now. 

Ken, is it a jump foot, needle feed machine, minus the inside alternating foot?

No, it is a compound feed machine but it has the slotted throat plate with a needle guide under the throat plate.  You could replace the needle guide with a standard leather throat plate  and a standard leather feed dog, and have the same feed as a Cobra or Cowboy.    This set up is supposed to be the real deal on strap goods with the slotted throat plate.   The needle guide is available from Nicko-Sew on Ebay or they show it anyway on their listing for a TSC Juki 441.  I will know more after I use it some but it does pull a nice stitch on some scraps I run through it.  BUT my Cobra pulls a nice stitch too and for a lot less money than a New  Juki 441 set up to sew leather. Friend of mine has a Cowboy 4500 he is quite fond of. THIS is not a put down  of any sewing machine brand, it just has a little different twist on the feed.  I am curious as to how it feeds skirts with dense sheepskin.  I do know several really good saddle makers that use the Juki Pro 2000 and love them.