Defiant1531

Special edition? Cb4500

I think I have stumbled across a cb4500 special edition but I'm not sure and it is missing everything so my question is it worth buying and piecing together the rest of the parts this is all that is there

Screenshot_20180822-150446_Gallery.jpg

Guess it depends how much they are asking - if they want $300 it is a steal, but if they want $2500, not so good....somewhere in between is probably what it is worth

Gary

45 minutes ago, garypl said:

Guess it depends how much they are asking - if they want $300 it is a steal, but if they want $2500, not so good....somewhere in between is probably what it is worth

Gary

They want $600 for it but I may be able to talk them down but the machine is missing everything. How hard would it be and cost effective to get the rest of the pieces to make this useable 

I would call Toledo Bob or Solar Leather and talk with them about what is missing and how much it will cost to get it running.  A new CB4500 will run $2000+ so you might be able to get a running unit for much less.  They are listed in the ads up top of the page.

Gary

Just now, garypl said:

I would call Toledo Bob or Solar Leather and talk with them about what is missing and how much it will cost to get it running.  A new CB4500 will run $2000+ so you might be able to get a running unit for much less.  They are listed in the ads up top of the page.

Gary

Thanks Gary!!!

Other than the handwheel what’s missing off the head? 

Edit: If you basically have a head minus handwheel it’s still worth $1000....replacement handwheel is something close to $200.   More than one person here would buy a working 4500 head for $1500.  

Edited by DonInReno

20 hours ago, DonInReno said:

Other than the handwheel what’s missing off the head? 

Edit: If you basically have a head minus handwheel it’s still worth $1000....replacement handwheel is something close to $200.   More than one person here would buy a working 4500 head for $1500.  

No motors no table no wheel no belts nothing all that is there is it I'm completely new to this and don't want to dive in a spend more than I need to but a bargain is a bargain even if I turn around and re sell it it looks like it's never been used other than it has the simple leather still attached

I'd be more worried about why they stripped it down. Who would do that to a good working machine?

If that's ALL that's missing it's no big deal, motors and belts are readily available and you can probably buy the correct table for it (or make your own or modify a used table if you can find one). If you want to make it "original" then you should be able to buy all these bits from one of the vendors on here - but you'll have to find out the cost first to see just how much of a "bargain" you end up with.

Mark, I must admit it does seem a bit odd.

This place sells damaged goods so like when a freight truck gets wrecked they buy it from the insurance and sell the product this however moves freely but the box was opened and everything out side of the foam the where all the parts are supposed to be are missing

Edited by Defiant1531

If it moves freely, buy it. You'll have an almost 3,000 dollar machine for maybe a grand. 

If the foam and box were intact, thats strange, but has great possibilities. Im guestimating here with; 200.00 each for motor, stand, hand/pulley wheel. We would of course need shipping for these items at 150.00 so were running close to 1,350.00 total less any extra presser feet options later and any buyer fees.

All together with a good inspection of the casting, your in a great position.

You've had great day

Floyd 

Look closely with a bright flashlight at the entire machine - every inch - there may be a crack in the cast iron or smashed bits somewhere.  Hard contact will show a scuff, dent, crack or something along those lines.  $600 may be too much if the frame is cracked.  

Well, that explains the missing bits - if the crate was open then anything that was loose and not too heavy has probably been "appropriated". As Don said check the casing/frame very carefully, if it looks ok then you may be onto a good thing (even better if you can beat him down a bit).

11 hours ago, Defiant1531 said:

This place sells damaged goods so like when a freight truck gets wrecked they buy it from the insurance and sell the product this however moves freely but the box was opened and everything out side of the foam the where all the parts are supposed to be are missing

Proceed with caution...

I'm the kinda person that also factors in the value of my time to get such a beast running as equally well as a new machine after outfitting it with said purchased parts (ASSUMING it has no hidden internal problems). How long is it going to take you to get this machine up and "producing" (might be time & $$ away from other things you could be doing) vs. a simple purchase of a dealer-set machine by a professional vendor that you know will work the way you ordered it???

I don't mind an education...life is a continual learning experience...that's one of the reasons I took up leathercraft in the first place...just doesn't make sense (IMO) to waste time and money unnecessarily if it can be avoided.

Here's the story on this machine.  I sold it new. 

This is a custom pinstriped CB-4500 that I had specially painted with the Yellow & Blue Rose of Texas for customer in Arizona.  She paid a premium for the paint, but let me tell you, the entire machine was REALLY nice.  The roses extended all the way down the stand and across the pedals.   I have pics of the whole machine somewhere.  If I find them, I'll put them on here. 

The machine was packaged and shipped like normal...and then it went MISSING.  The shipping company "lost it", then said that we'd never shipped it in the first place. However, we had paperwork, signatures, pictures, and most importantly, insurance.  (Solar ALWAYS buys shipping insurance!)   So, the shipper was on the hook, and looked for the machine for about 3 weeks.  Meanwhile the customer was getting impatient(rightfully so).  She'd been really VERY understanding and VERY patient with us, and for that I'm thankful.   After 3 weeks, I had to call it a loss, I refunded the money, and the customer drove all the way from Arizona to pick up a sleek new special edition in my shop in Dallas.   Truly an exceptional customer.  

This machine is the only one painted in this manner.  There'll never be another.  It's very distinctive, and I knew it would show up.   We were paid for the insurance loss, so I don't consider it stolen.   However, I do have some theories about how it disappeared in the first place.   The reason that the handwheel is missing is because the special editions are specially packed in separate boxes to keep handwheel pristine.  Apparently, whoever ended up with the head couldn't get ahold of the other parts.  There is a matching stand and handwheel floating around out there.  Those will show up eventually.  

The seller of this head has already been in contact with us.  We provided a cost for the missing parts, and they declined.  Assuming the head isn't damaged, it is brand new and in working order.  

-Alexander

Edited by SolarLeatherMachines

I wonder how far it traveled, is it still in the same State it was shipped to?

I think it became self-aware and escaped off the tuck, we can call it Johnny-4500!

Johnny4500_runaway1.thumb.jpg.540e1cf154021cf6e17325ed40a0136f.jpg

35 minutes ago, Yetibelle said:

I wonder how far it traveled, is it still in the same State it was shipped to?

I think it became self-aware and escaped off the tuck, we can call it Johnny-4500!

Johnny4500_runaway1.thumb.jpg.540e1cf154021cf6e17325ed40a0136f.jpg

Bahahaha!   "Nice Software, Stephanie!"

That’s a good deal then.  What part of Utah - or even better do you have the contact info on the place that is selling it?  I’ll buy it. 

15 hours ago, Defiant1531 said:

Lol it's in utah now but I'm passing on it nice looking machine though

14 minutes ago, DonInReno said:

That’s a good deal then.  What part of Utah - or even better do you have the contact info on the place that is selling it?  I’ll buy it. 

It's at nps market square in the industrial side

Thanks - it sounds like an interesting store.  

I'm in SC, can you send me contact info for the seller.

Also I'd be interested in the getting the cost of the missing parts from Solar.