Mens bifold wallet with coin pocket. Veg tan leather 4 oz for cover, 2-3 oz for pocket.

bf1_1.jpgbf1_2.jpgbf1_3.jpgbf1_4.jpgbf1_5.jpg

Gorgeous 

Beautiful workmanship!  You have to be an artist to create a figure like that on the front.  Well beyond my capabilities!

Gary

30 minutes ago, garypl said:

Beautiful workmanship!  You have to be an artist to create a figure like that on the front.  Well beyond my capabilities!

Gary

Thank you, Gary. Honestly, before I became interested in working with the leather year ago, I had absolutely nothing to do with art. From the word - in general :)
My main specialty is the programmer of embedded systems. This is far enough from drawing and art  (if, of course, do not consider programming as an art).
It seems to me that in any of us sleeps artist . You just need to wake him up :)

Edited by ABHandmade

32 minutes ago, ABHandmade said:

Thank you, Gary. Honestly, before I became interested in working with the leather year ago, I had absolutely nothing to do with art. From the word - in general :)
My main specialty is the programmer of embedded systems. This is far enough from drawing and art  (if, of course, do not consider programming as an art).
It seems to me that in any of us sleeps artist . You just need to wake him up :)

You are a fast learner!  Gives me hope that I can still improve - I’d be happy if I could do a carving like this a tenth as well as you!

6 minutes ago, garypl said:

You are a fast learner!  Gives me hope that I can still improve - I’d be happy if I could do a carving like this a tenth as well as you!

Al Stohlman's books help me a lot. I am amazed at how much this man was multifaceted and purposeful.

There is so much to love about this wallet @ABHandmade! It looks perfect but the thing that gets me and has had me curious for years is the bark on the tree.....how do you do it? I've been trying to figure out a way to make some sort of stamp, never thought of carving it or anything.

11 minutes ago, battlemunky said:

There is so much to love about this wallet @ABHandmade! It looks perfect but the thing that gets me and has had me curious for years is the bark on the tree.....how do you do it? I've been trying to figure out a way to make some sort of stamp, never thought of carving it or anything.

I'm use very steep beveler (on photo my selfmaded stamp) and modeling spoon. And swivel knife, but after beveling - only for last strokes.DSC_0617.JPG

Super cool, much respect sir!

Outstanding.  Fantastic art, clean edges, great layout, perfect stitching, awesome color combination.

YinTx

11 minutes ago, battlemunky said:

Super cool, much respect sir!

Thank you for compliment!

8 minutes ago, YinTx said:

Outstanding.  Fantastic art, clean edges, great layout, perfect stitching, awesome color combination.

YinTx

Thank you! You overestimate me. My ears and cheeks are flushed with embarrassment :)

This one is my favorite so far! Excellent work. You think you could feel the fur on the paws.

Jeff

Beautiful cougar!

You do gorgeous work! Even the interior of the wallet is first rate! And the cougar is so lifelike, you can almost hear it purr!

One thing I don't get is how to get that edge on the card pockets. Is it turned over to get that line just below the edge?

Edited by Sheilajeanne

5 hours ago, alpha2 said:

This one is my favorite so far! Excellent work. You think you could feel the fur on the paws.

Jeff

Thank you, Jeff! 

I myself liked how I made paws. Over them I had to work a little :)

2 hours ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

Beautiful cougar!

Thank you!

42 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

You do gorgeous work! Even the interior of the wallet is first rate! And the cougar is so lifelike, you can almost hear it purr!

One thing I don't get is how to get that edge on the card pockets. Is it turned over to get that line just below the edge?

Thank you, Sheila! 

Line below the edges on pocket made with edge creaser (not sure if this is the correct name) - like this:

edge_creaser.jpeg

The edge is not turned over. I'm not strong in this yet.

Edited by ABHandmade

Okay, so the edge of the pockets is just cut and burnished, right?  How do you finish your edges? (I'm planning to put card pockets in my most recent project, that's why I'm asking all these questions!) :D

The edge is not turned over. I'm not strong in this yet 

Really?? Could have fooled me! :lol: You are VERY talented!

Edited by Sheilajeanne

3 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Okay, so the edge of the pockets is just cut and burnished, right?  How do you finish your edges? (I'm planning to put card pockets in my most recent project, that's why I'm asking all these questions!) :D

I do this:
1. Trim the edge with a sharp knife.
2. Paint the edge with the same alcohol dye as the grain side of the leather.
3. Apply tragacanth gum or saddle soap.
4. Put a leather on a granite slab.
5. Take a stacked a few layers of cotton cloth (this provides the rigidity of the edge of the cloth).
6. Holding the leather with fingers one hand, moving the cloth over the slab and pressing it lightly against the edge of the leather, perform a burnishing.
7. Turn over leather and repeat step 6.

It should be ensured that the cloth does not go far on the top of the leather. It is optimal if only the edge of the leather and the edge of the folded cloth are in contact.

Note. Use a thin cloth. I'm using a piece of an old white T-shirt.

I hope that despite my awful English, I managed to convey the essence.

3 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Really?? Could have fooled me! :lol: You are VERY talented!

:blush:

Edited by ABHandmade

I had to read that more than once, but I think I understand. You use the cloth to burnish the edge. The leather does not move, but stays flat on the slab. Be careful to only rub the edge of the leather and not the whole piece.

Burnishing thin pieces of leather is tricky. This is an interesting way of doing it, one I've never heard of before. Definitely worth trying!

And yes, I will say it again: You are very talented!

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Fantastic. Super balance if the detail of the figure and simple clean lines of a well layed out wallet.

On 9/4/2018 at 2:15 PM, ABHandmade said:

Yup...but in some of us the artist is a 3 year old with a box of crayons and others a Rembrandt. Very nice work, I'm envious of your tooling skills. I can do basket weaves and geometrics all day long but if I tried to do something like that...lets just say the results would be less pleasing to the eye.

15 minutes ago, Mark842 said:

Yup...but in some of us the artist is a 3 year old with a box of crayons and others a Rembrandt. Very nice work, I'm envious of your tooling skills. I can do basket weaves and geometrics all day long but if I tried to do something like that...lets just say the results would be less pleasing to the eye.

Mark, believe me, my first attempt to make a lion carving after reading "Al Stohlman-Finesse Figure Carving" was not a spectacle for the faint of heart :)
To say that now I am completely satisfied with the result is also not true. I've seen some works on the Internet, compared to which my works look like a pitiful work. But art is work and practice and I hope that someday I will achieve results that are really worthy of those compliments that I read here.

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:52 AM, ABHandmade said:

edge_creaser.jpeg

Would you share where you purchased, or name and any other info that would help us find one.  I really like the edge on your inner pocket.     

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:21 PM, ABHandmade said:

DSC_0617.JPG

I am also curious about this tool you made.  You do beautiful work.   I love the roses you shared.  

2 minutes ago, Scoutmom103 said:

I am also curious about this tool you made.  You do beautiful work.   I love the roses you shared.  

Thank you, @Scoutmom103!

13 minutes ago, Scoutmom103 said:

Would you share where you purchased, or name and any other info that would help us find one.  I really like the edge on your inner pocket.

I know only how it is called in Ukrainian, because I bought it from my Ukrainian supplier. Just in case, here's the link
https://leathertools.com.ua/index.php?route=product/product&path=62_65&product_id=1070
Unfortunately, I do not know how much I could be useful to you :(