CutThumb

Help!

So I sponged on the first coat of Fiebings Pro, then when it was really blotchy I dipped it. What would my best approach be, to try and even this out? I have to have it finished tomorrow!

266B8FD0-2611-4426-A02C-27D022A01F58.jpeg

I don't know the answer, but it has given it a nice aged look

Edited by chrisash

58 minutes ago, chrisash said:

I don't know the answer, but it has given it a nice aged look

Yes, erm, that my new patented process.... pdf ten quid etc...

It looks like there is still a good amount of pigment on the surface. Maybe buff it really good with a rag or canvas.....

17 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

It looks like there is still a good amount of pigment on the surface. Maybe buff it really good with a rag or canvas.....

Oh, cool. I hadn’t realised that happened. Wish I’d just dipped it straight off. Lesson learned.

No way to fix that except to go full strength dark.

Immiketoo is right. You'll have to dip it again until it's all a solid dark color. Either that or just start over.

Isopropyl spirit and a rag (or sponge) helped me in small areas. Spirit move the excess dye into the depth of the leather and softens the sharp color transitions.

But in any case not to rub! And test the applicability of this for your dye in an inconspicuous area or on scrap.

Edited by ABHandmade

Dipped it again, not too bad in the end. I think I wasn’t sponging enough on. I did something else today and went pretty heavy and got much better results. Thanks for the replies.

CA760F4E-A86A-414A-BAB9-CF4C0DBEE32E.jpeg

If sponging, I put a generous amount on a do circular applications, working quickly.  After that I immediately do another application but in linear strokes or passes.  Works good so far.  Dip dying of course will create uniformity but not convenient on really large pieces so practice until you can get it.

23 hours ago, Tugadude said:

If sponging, I put a generous amount on a do circular applications, working quickly.  After that I immediately do another application but in linear strokes or passes.  Works good so far.  Dip dying of course will create uniformity but not convenient on really large pieces so practice until you can get it.

This is how I’ll be doing it in future, thanks. I was a bit scared of using too much at first.

We all learn by doing.  Sometimes advice can shorten the process but there is no substitute for practice.  I like your project, BTW.

I found that, given enough time for drying and such, if you work in some neatsfoot oil it will even out the shading, but not applicable to everything. NFO has other effects, too, though, not always desirable. Always though, going darker second coat has saved the day more than once.

Jeff

Edited by alpha2