Treesner

center of flap folding up

Hey guys I'm making this long horizontal sheaths that have a cover flap and two snaps on the side. However the center keeps folding up on me. is there any way to fix this issue (other than putting a 3rd snap where the logo is punched)? 

I'm using 6/7oz leather but maybe need to go to a 7/9oz? or sew on a long narrow piece on the front to keep it down better? 

https://ibb.co/6wVT0Sd
https://ibb.co/v1xqsRz

Edited by Treesner

You could wet mold it to toughen it up to a strong flat surface

I would add a metal or wooden stiffening rib between the snaps and the edge of the flap.

9 hours ago, chrisash said:

You could wet mold it to toughen it up to a strong flat surface

I tried one wet mold and dry and they both seemed to fold up in the center. I think it may have to do with the top of the sheath being not perfectly flat but having a peak on the left side. 

how would you wet mold it to be fat like wet it and sandwich the front flap together? how I did it was wet the leather, put the saw inside of the leather and used chord to wrap and hold it shut 

8 hours ago, Matt S said:

I would add a metal or wooden stiffening rib between the snaps and the edge of the flap.

I've never done this or heard of this being done could you explain? would I like fold over the front edge put some metal wire then sew it inside or something? 

A pic would help me (and possibly other people) to exactly understand your dilemma.

To help with the problem I have had with leather bellying out at the front of a leather case, I am considering inserting, and riveting in place, a piece of 3mm acrylic to act as a stiffener.

I will post pics when I can get a chance to take some.

2 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

A pic would help me (and possibly other people) to exactly understand your dilemma.

To help with the problem I have had with leather bellying out at the front of a leather case, I am considering inserting, and riveting in place, a piece of 3mm acrylic to act as a stiffener.

I will post pics when I can get a chance to take some.

I had trouble posting photos with the limit so I linked these in the original post please take a look

https://ibb.co/6wVT0Sd
https://ibb.co/v1xqsRz

I think the best idea would be to remove the snaps, install a thin piece of stainless steel (to ensure rigidity and no stain of the leather) an inch past the snap holes, then reinstall the snaps.

I have done this twice previously. One time I riveted the thin stainless straight to the leather, and on another occasion I wrapped the stainless in some goatskin to match the inside of the case.

The answer might be as simple as moving the snap seats further apart on the body so that the top piece is naturally pulled flat. If the buckling goes away by gently pulling the cover it might do the trick.

On 12/22/2018 at 5:56 AM, WeekendHobby said:

The answer might be as simple as moving the snap seats further apart on the body so that the top piece is naturally pulled flat. If the buckling goes away by gently pulling the cover it might do the trick.

When you're setting snaps do you try to line them up straight or do you move them around to adjust for stretching or things like this? 

On 12/20/2018 at 7:06 PM, Rockoboy said:

I think the best idea would be to remove the snaps, install a thin piece of stainless steel (to ensure rigidity and no stain of the leather) an inch past the snap holes, then reinstall the snaps.

I have done this twice previously. One time I riveted the thin stainless straight to the leather, and on another occasion I wrapped the stainless in some goatskin to match the inside of the case.

what kind of stainless steel dimension are you talking like 1/8" x 1/2" x length of sheath? on the second time did you sew the goat skin to hide it?

wonder if you could just use the snaps to sort of rivet it to the leather 

On ‎3‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 8:04 AM, Treesner said:

what kind of stainless steel dimension are you talking like 1/8" x 1/2" x length of sheath?

On a sheath like you have here, I would use stainless about 1/16" X 3/4" X full length of the sheath (or an 1/4" less than full length) That's what I used on one case that I wanted to reinforce the top edge of.

The 2nd use was for a much heavier duty case (plus what I had on hand), that was about 1/4" X 3/4" across the hinged part where the lid met the case. I wrapped the steel in goat hide after applying a coat of contact adhesive, and riveted the wrapped strip in place.

Not sure what type of sewing machines you have available but I have solved that problem on bags I've made by sewing a piece of kydex to the leather. The added plus is you can shape the kydex however you want. I use a cobra 4 and it sews right through leather and kydex easily.

On 1/12/2019 at 6:46 AM, Mark842 said:

Not sure what type of sewing machines you have available but I have solved that problem on bags I've made by sewing a piece of kydex to the leather. The added plus is you can shape the kydex however you want. I use a cobra 4 and it sews right through leather and kydex easily.

nice I've got a sailrite machine that can handle some pretty heavy duty stuff. seems like the kydex solution could work pretty well. I tried sewing a second piece of leather on and it helped but still could be improved a bit