DarrelT

My first project

My company gave me an Amazon gift card for Christmas. I've been wanting to pick up leather work as a hobby for a while so decided to invest in some basic tools. This is my first project. Just a simple case for my skiving knife. I copied a design I saw on Youtube. It's crude but functional.

The stitching was a bit difficult with the chisels. If I punched through all three layers the chisel was really difficult to remove. But it was hard to get the holes lined up when punching from both sides. I ended up starting with the chisels and pushing through with an awl. But the holes were so tight I had to use pliers to pull the needles through. I also should have recessed the inside snap or something. The blade rubs on it.

I'm happy with it overall. Learned a few things and I might remake it.

I got the knife from Amazon too. The edge was beat up so I had to rebuild it. Shaving sharp now.

TS73TE6VcfFvFByamHZwWrQY13-Q8w_cNZprkV8p

Zep9NnnmYyxma9wn-l0235ncecgbtZiQL33q5XNm

gXJqeYsTz_ebdjYpwpPLMEny0ORxQdV6Sca9hQ_K

hoLD9Zszb-ziICPW37IzsHCMvrXT-IcG4hlmLaLO

HMYj4yIbAPfaUMm4UAyXms-8DrDkt4ovFmuvlB9z

Nice edge!

That's not a bad try at all. You set your snaps really well. Your pattern looks good too. 

Most people will usually line after installing the snap to keep the blade from rubbing.

Just keep learning and having fun.

Yeah, it does look really good. Nice stitching. I like to line my sheaths with suede, helps with the snaps.

For the hole punching chisel I find it easiest to only punch through one layer at a time. Once you have one layer done, use it as a template to punch through the next layer. 

What are you going to make next? 

Nice work for the first project!
You might need to polish your chisels to help them slide through the leather better. 
I did this to my Tandy diamond chisels and it did make a difference. My JapanGoods stitching chisels don't need it.

Yes, the Tandy painted chisels need some sanding and polishing, as well as sharpening, to work well. Ditto on the beeswax, just press the chisel into the wax block slightly and it will penetrate better, as well as making it easier to get the chisel back out! On snaps, I will use a French Skiver to create a shallow pocket for the snap, but the lining idea works too. I've done both on the same piece just to be sure. Also, a thin welt will make the pocket a little more open. Looks good though! Welcome to the obsession.

Jeff

Nothing like a successful first project to spur the creative juices! That sheath is going to last a long time.

All good stuff!

If the prongs on your stitching chisel are too short to go through all the thicknesses of leather, follow it up with an awl - a saddler's or diamond awl, not round

The 4-in-1 awl sold by Tandy and others is expensive and not very good; get a simple fixed awl instead

You can hold down the leather with a piece of wood if it is difficult to pull out the stitching chisel. Try lubricating the prongs on a piece of beeswax. Also, polish the prongs with a homemade file or 'wand' made by gluing 600 or 800 grit to a sliver of wood, like a lollipop stick

If the needles are too tight they may be too big. Try again with John James size  002

You've done a good job on sharpening the knife; a Japanese style works well once you get used to it. Personally I would have sanded the handle to round off the corners and tone down the colour a bit, but if you're happy with it....

I wouldn't remake the sheath. Keep it, to see how you've progressed, and to look back on

Great first project- simple, functional, and robust.
Although I agree with the snap suggestions above, as long as it sits flush and doesn't catch on the edge of the blade while inserting, I wouldn't worry about it. I think that it's rather unlikely that a brass snap will scratch hardened steel

No, you don't "need" to remake it...but I suspect that you're hooked, so you'll probably do it anyway. ;)

Great first project!

On 1/20/2019 at 7:48 AM, alpha2 said:

Yes, the Tandy painted chisels need some sanding and polishing, as well as sharpening, to work well. Ditto on the beeswax, just press the chisel into the wax block slightly and it will penetrate better, as well as making it easier to get the chisel back out! On snaps, I will use a French Skiver to create a shallow pocket for the snap, but the lining idea works too. I've done both on the same piece just to be sure. Also, a thin welt will make the pocket a little more open. Looks good though! Welcome to the obsession.

Jeff

I use a welt about the thickness of the blade. It's not hitting the snap. Just slightly rubs against it.

7 hours ago, zuludog said:

If the prongs on your stitching chisel are too short to go through all the thicknesses of leather, follow it up with an awl - a saddler's or diamond awl, not round

You've done a good job on sharpening the knife; a Japanese style works well once you get used to it. Personally I would have sanded the handle to round off the corners and tone down the colour a bit, but if you're happy with it....

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look for a diamond awl. And I'm not particularly fond of the handle. It's just how it was made I might take some time to round it out and stain/seal.

7 hours ago, JazzBass said:

No, you don't "need" to remake it...but I suspect that you're hooked, so you'll probably do it anyway. ;)

Agreed that I don't "need" to, but I think it would be interested to remake later and see the difference.

On 1/19/2019 at 10:05 PM, PerniciousDuke said:

What are you going to make next? 

I made a practice passport holder with some chrome tan. I'm working up to a set of real ones for the family. I also want to make a cribbage board holder of some sort. Still figuring that one out.

Good looking sheath. I'm new to this as well. My first piece was a cellphone holster a few months ago. Used a piece of 10oz veg tan and wet molded it around a wood model of my phone. Pretty sure in a bind it can be used as a weapon :gun:. I've made a few holsters since and can tell a big difference in my work progression, and hopefully I will learn and improve more with everything I make in years to come. 

Looking good - well done - first of many I hope.:)

I cheated on the cribbage board holder. I bought a Tandy Texas Holdem card holder kit. And I just made my own design to say Cribbage. So my traveling cribbage board is just two decks of cards and a little pad of paper and pencil. :)