datdraku

First matching set, bag and wallet

Really like how this turned out, glad the client wanted a set.

IMG_20190222_091137_283.jpg

IMG_20190222_091019_590.jpg

IMG_20190222_091155_837.jpg

I like the divider in the left side of the wallet, splitting the big pocket.

What is the leather weights used (if you have it on hand)?

For the bag, 2 mm for almoast everything,strap is 3 mm, divider is 1.5. For the wallet, 2 mm for the exterior and 1 mm for interior pockets

6 hours ago, YinTx said:

Those came out great!

YinTx

Thanks!

Beautiful!  Love them!

On 2/27/2019 at 3:53 PM, Smartee said:

Beautiful!  Love them!

What a coincidence, me too !

4 hours ago, justingschneider said:

very nice!

Thanks!

Looks great. Nice swivel knife work

18 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

Looks great. Nice swivel knife work

Thanks!

Each piece looks perfectly balanced with style, leather and color selection, along with the hardware and execution.

It looks stylish with a dash of vintage. The fact that it is a matching set just adds more awesome.

I love seeing pieces balanced like that. I haven't really achieved that in my work yet.

Be very proud.

14 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Each piece looks perfectly balanced with style, leather and color selection, along with the hardware and execution.

It looks stylish with a dash of vintage. The fact that it is a matching set just adds more awesome.

I love seeing pieces balanced like that. I haven't really achieved that in my work yet.

Be very proud.

Thank you for the kind words!

Heh. I saw your post on reddit! Still love this bag and after seeing it I made one in a similar shape. Mine didn't come out nearly as nice. I should have sewn the gusset the way you did, but I sewed it outside to inside instead of inside to inside... if that makes sense. I ended up with an ill defined bit of hangover leather past my stitch line and looks sloppy.

Edited by kyleboedeker

1 hour ago, kyleboedeker said:

Heh. I saw your post on reddit! Still love this bag and after seeing it I made one in a similar shape. Mine didn't come out nearly as nice. I should have sewn the gusset the way you did, but I sewed it outside to inside instead of inside to inside... if that makes sense. I ended up with an ill defined bit of hangover leather past my stitch line and looks sloppy.

Ha ha, great! Glad you like it. I think I understand, but some pictures would help if you care to share

Here it is.

20190307_073847-1-1600x1731.jpg

8 hours ago, kyleboedeker said:

Here it is.

20190307_073847-1-1600x1731.jpg

I see. I think doing it your way needs a bit more care and planning to end up nice

For sure. I didn't take enough time planning it out. Just kind of threw it together. I'm very new at leathercraft and that is one thing I am learning - that I have to think ahead or my end product reflects my lack of planning.

3 hours ago, kyleboedeker said:

For sure. I didn't take enough time planning it out. Just kind of threw it together. I'm very new at leathercraft and that is one thing I am learning - that I have to think ahead or my end product reflects my lack of planning.

True! Also patterns on card stock really help. If you have Inkskape or some free CAD program, it helps alot

Nice work...I especially like the double gussets (done very well), and the wallet interior.
Excellent!

2 hours ago, datdraku said:

True! Also patterns on card stock really help. If you have Inkskape or some free CAD program, it helps alot

That's a good idea. Actually, my wife has one of those cricut machines. I bet I could design some stuff on there and have the cricut cut out some templates for me perfectly. 

Edited by kyleboedeker

1 hour ago, JazzBass said:

Nice work...I especially like the double gussets (done very well), and the wallet interior.
Excellent!

Thank you! I should use thinner leather for the gusset in the future, so it doesn't pull the main panels.

12 minutes ago, kyleboedeker said:

That's a good idea. Actually, my wife has one of those cricut machines. I bet I could design some stuff on there and have the cricut cut out some templates for me perfectly. 

Go for it. Very much worth it!

Wow. beautiful! Love the dandelion seeds too. Are those punches or individually done?

edit - realizing they are very detailed and different and individual. NICE work.

Edited by sarahshoes
didn't look close enough before asking

7 hours ago, sarahshoes said:

Wow. beautiful! Love the dandelion seeds too. Are those punches or individually done?

edit - realizing they are very detailed and different and individual. NICE work.

Yes, did everything with the swivel knife. Not sure hoe close to reality they are, but i got no complaints!

On 3/12/2019 at 9:01 PM, kyleboedeker said:

Can I ask; what software do you use to design on the Cricut ?

4 hours ago, HaloJones said:

Can I ask; what software do you use to design on the Cricut ?

It has its own proprietary software, unfortunately. She used it to create a lot of the stuff for our wedding, but I haven't really messed with it much. The software is a web-based type app, but from what i've seen it's kind of like a lighter weight adobe illustrator.