Just seen this in the news, so heart braking  :( Out of the hundreds of homes & businesses that have been lost due to the bush fires, sadly, this is  one of them.  

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-01/roman-leathergoods-store-in-mogo-before-the-nye-bushfires-1/11836268

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-01/burnt-remains-of-the-roman-leathergoods-store-in-mogo-after-the/11836272

And things aren't getting any better. The entire south east cost  in Victoria & NSW  is ablaze.  We've been quite lucky where I am ( Central Wheatbelt WA) , but we're always on the alert. 

HS  :(

Edited by Handstitched

I can only feel for you guys, the pictures we see are just devastation  and the fire maps show its all over all states in vast numbers

Good luck to you all

Chris

I feel so sad for the people who have lost their homes, livelihoods and worst of all lives. I pray they are able to rebuild the lives and homes.

I cannot put into words how I feel and as very day goes by, where I am it gets drier and drier and the fires closer, I pray what they are saying about rain Sunday is true.

Bert.

This has been on my mind a lot the past week or so.  You are in my prayers.

We went through some bad fires here in west Texas several years ago, so we can somewhat relate to what you are going through , our thoughts and prayers are with you. 

Sadly, we do have a lot in common when it comes to disasters,   but , thankfully, including people & communities from all over the country getting together to help each other during times of disaster. :grouphug5vj5:

@Bert51 Our PM just got a BIG kick up the butt yesterday, o'h dear !    :) 

HS 

Of course all of our hearts goes out to those  in dire straits at this desperate time. I know hindsight is 20/20 but surely there should be mandatory firebreaks in places where there is even a slight possibility of this happening.-

28 minutes ago, toxo said:

surely there should be mandatory firebreaks

Unfortunately firebreaks will not stop a fire of this intensity. Hazard  reduction burns done in the cooler months are the only way to reduce the severity of the wildfires. The green movement has a lot to answer for in forcing a reduction in this type of preparation for the fire season.

Handstitched, I think when a firefighter will not shake the PM hands, speaks volumes for his in-actions and buck passing.

I was very surprise he was out and about today, maybe they scrutinized the people this time?

Sadly Rockoboy you are correct, if we had the cold burns in the cooler months, we would not have the super heated fires now.

Removing all the Brumbies and cattle from these areas is not helping either.  My sister in-law lives not far from Barmah Forest and she is very concerned that there is to much fuel on the ground, now the have forced the horse to starve and die last winter. Sadly the Greenies like allowing animals to die by starvation and block any form of help for them.

Shame on the Greenies and the followers for allowing this to happen.

Sorry, off soapbox for now.

Bert.

This is so sad :(  Prayers to all - human and animal.  What a horrific loss :(

Bert51 if humans don't cleanup the dead fuel / brush / over growth, nature will through other means like what you are experiencing. The Greenies / Tree Huggers / Climate Activists whatever label you want to use don't get it no matter what county they are in. There needs to be a practical, sensible, cost effective approach.

Prayers are with you and those affected.

kgg

I wish i could save thank you to the good people in this forum for their prayers, kind thoughts and wishes, sadly I can only speak on my behalf and for that, I thank you from my heart.

I pray the cool change we are look for on Sunday give these hard working fire fighter and support people a break and some hard earned rest and most of all family time.

And maybe, lessons learnt will will be better plans, so this does not happen in the future.

But I doubt it.

Bert.

2 hours ago, kgg said:

Bert51 if humans don't cleanup the dead fuel / brush / over growth, nature will through other means like what you are experiencing. The Greenies / Tree Huggers / Climate Activists whatever label you want to use don't get it no matter what county they are in. There needs to be a practical, sensible, cost effective approach.

Prayers are with you and those affected.

kgg

true words there friend the forest here has so much deadfall due to the pine beetle infestation a couple decade ago that its just a matter of time, then adding to that the development of wilderness areas has stalled any vehicle access for fighting fire crews. Last year we had one and the fire crews just had to watch it burn, they had no safe way to get in or out. The deadfall is sometimes 6 to 8 feet high with downed trees and impossible to navigate. Good luck and god bless to the folks down under!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This might be pie in the sky and the first part needs a post all of it's own but what if these drone were armed with the kind of explosive that starved the fire of oxygen? A bit like Red Adair putting out an oil fire. I know there's the updraught and smoke to think about but might be feasable in the future.

@Rockoboy Your are exactly  right. Fire breaks are compulsory in the Wheatbelt( and many other places)  for those that have acreage . They have to be 1.5 mtrs wide, but that varies from one council to another. But I make them 2-3 times that width. Also slashing is compulsory  for 5 acres & under. We have much more than that, and although its not compulsory  for me to slash, I do it anyway for my own peace of mind,  we also burn off & prune branches etc.  during cooler months,    and spray, but thats still no guarantee that we'll be safe, its just reduces the risk.  But one '" saving grace'", perhaps,  is that we don't have tall  gum trees anywhere near  the house, where so many owners do. 

HS

I keep looking  at those photos of the leather goods business.

So, where do you start the recovery? Well,   after a damn good cry, , firstly I would try save the tools, a very long painful and arduous task of picking through the wreckage to find them . Hopefully, the stamping tools, 3D's etc.  survived, they can be restored .  The tools with wood handles, the wood handles can be replaced. The sewing machines? We've seen ' boat anchors' restored before, so there is hope, hoping the casings aren't warped or cracked, same goes for any manual presses etc. 

Theres always hope.

HS

Prayers for all of you down under - thinking of you from Pennsylvania, USA

G'Day, heres a bit of an update.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-10/couple-who-lost-everything-shocked-at-recovery-grant-rejection/12038166

Not only did they suffer the loss of their leathergoods business due to the bush fires, but then it rained so much  they were  flooded out. 

God knows rain is a precious drop down under, but.......

I've just seen a report on the ABC ( Australia) in regards to the financial fall-out from the bush fires.  This business, like so many,  had to go through a lot of governmental red tape  just to get access to  financial assistance & grants. During the  registration process, the 'powers that be'  said that their leathergoods business was listed as ' untouched' ( as in, it didn't burn down) so they had to prove that it did FFS !!!  Now that process is to be ' simplified' ....apparently.  How much hardship do businesses have to go through just to get help? 

Also according to the report, people( fellow leather crafters)  kindly donated leather & tools to help them get back on their feet.  Thats some saving grace :) 

HS

Edited by Handstitched

17 minutes ago, Handstitched said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-10/couple-who-lost-everything-shocked-at-recovery-grant-rejection/12038166

Not only did they suffer the loss of their leathergoods business due to the bush fires, but then it rained so much  they were  flooded out. 

I've just seen a report on the ABC ( Australia) in regards to the financial fall-out from the bush fires.  This business, like so many,  had to go through a lot of governmental red tape  just to get access to  financial assistance & grants. During the  registration process, the 'powers that be'  said that their leathergoods business was listed as ' untouched' ( as in, it didn't burn down) so they had to prove that it did FFS !!!  Now that process is to be ' simplified' ....apparently.  How much hardship do businesses have to go through just to get help? 

Also according to the report, people( fellow leather crafters)  kindly donated leather & tools to help them get back on their feet.  Thats some saving grace :) 

HS

Thank you so much for the update.  I'm still praying for everyone down there just as I am for those in Tennessee that recently suffered a disastrous tornado.  Friends of mine have a daughter down there and she is a school teacher.  Her entire school was destroyed.  They are still trying to figure out what to do.  Fortunately this week is their spring break, so they have a little extra time to work on a plan.

When I hear of tragedies, I'm reminded of something I heard on the radio.  A pastor was talking about hardships and he used the phrase, "Good people happen to bad things".  We all suffer, nobody gets a pass.  But it is those times that we connect with good people and are reminded how good that feels.  

I pray that lots of good people descend on both Australia and Tennessee and anywhere else they are needed.

27 minutes ago, Handstitched said:

HS

Absolutely heartbreaking. For some the ultimate price is/was paid. I just don't get it. In a place where these things are a common occurence Surely it's time for mandatory half mile/mile/2 mile fire breaks around every residential area. I know there's been some political wrangling over firebreaks but come on.

10 hours ago, toxo said:

How much hardship do businesses have to go through just to get help? 

In Australia.......when they are big enough to not need it.

GRANTS in Australia.........:rofl:........:rofl:

Come on Rocky, they was telling us yesterday how much they care and how they will help you through this new virus we are all going to catch.

Bert.

28 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

In Australia.......when they are big enough to not need it.

GRANTS in Australia.........:rofl:........:rofl:

I didn't say it Brian but your point is taken.

Hawaiian holidays don't just pay for themselves..can't be frittering it all away in grants can we possums.

caution..post may contain sarc..any resemblance to politicians etc etc etc ..

I've already seen  quite a difference in trade at the markets I attend. Numbers are way down, and all of us stall holders were thinking the same thing, that  people are frightened to be in  crowded places.

3 hours ago, Bert51 said:

Come on Rocky, they was telling us yesterday how much they care and how they will help you through this new virus we are all going to catch.

Seeing is believing when I see actual  $$ go into my bank account , ' tax breaks & holiday incentives' don't pay the bills,  but will I get any help from ' Mr  Bulls**t'  bag himself? Not in a pigs ear !!!  I'm not in his electorate  :) 

13 hours ago, Tugadude said:

"Good people happen to bad things".  We all suffer, nobody gets a pass.  But it is those times that we connect with good people and are reminded how good that feels.  

Hear hear  :)

13 hours ago, toxo said:

Surely it's time for mandatory half mile/mile/2 mile fire breaks around every residential area.

There are no fire breaks in residential areas, although not a bad idea, say on vacant land etc.  but they are compulsory in regional areas for those that have acreage like us. They are supposed to  be a minimum 1.5 mtrs wide( that varies from council to council) , but I make ours 2-3 times that . In the town centre,  or 5 acres and under, its compulsory to slash weeds, tall grasses etc. Pity the local councils don't follow their own rules. 

HS