motocouture

Crocodile / calf leather duffel

Hi all, recently finished an overnight / gym duffel for myself (Happy Christmas!). I drafted the design from scratch, and it is completely handstitched. Materials used were a light khaki crocodile, with olive HAAS tumbled calf leather (roughly 2.5 to 3oz weight from memory, thanks @nstarleather!). Thread is linen 532 Fil au Chinois in grey, and the edge paint is a custom color I mixed using Uniters (with a gloss top coat). Webbing for the strap is 38mm wide cotton webbing sourced from Amazon. Hardware is plated solid brass from @Buckleguy Supplier; great quality as always. 

As always, took longer to make than I thought it would :rolleyes:

0DA121EA-0C5B-44C2-9DD7-B17E2C605B28.jpeg

C596B59B-710B-4A9C-AD49-A938B93B87E0.jpeg

F642E325-A411-499A-BFBD-F3A0EBBCEB2F.jpeg

978083BC-4D2B-445A-A0E8-3E0339FE0AC9.jpeg

Beautiful work @motocouture!

Nice mix of the leather & colours 

1 hour ago, battlemunky said:

Beautiful work @motocouture!

Thank you!

1 hour ago, HaloJones said:

Nice mix of the leather & colours 

much appreciated! I’m excited to some some different colour combos with similar materials. I like the contrast in textures, too

1 hour ago, Thaddeus said:

Outstanding!

thanks, and welcome to the forum! Looks like you’re in PA as well

Beautiful work and attention to detail.....as always from you:). Congratulations.

Nice work. That's a lot of hand stitching, I guess the belt I'm doing next won't be so bad.

35 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

Beautiful work and attention to detail.....as always from you:). Congratulations.

Thanks mate! The more I work with Croc, the more I love it! And I’m always using the tips and knowledge you kindly share!

35 minutes ago, Flyman said:

Nice work. That's a lot of hand stitching, I guess the belt I'm doing next won't be so bad.

thanks! Yeah, adds up when you do a bag, but I enjoy the stitching. Hope the belt goes smoothly for you!

Just beautiful! I like it plenty... I have to do a similar one in the near future for a family member, so would you mind sharing the dimensions of your bag, please?

17 minutes ago, Riem said:

Just beautiful! I like it plenty... I have to do a similar one in the near future for a family member, so would you mind sharing the dimensions of your bag, please?

Thank you, and not a problem at all! Will send you a sketch diagram via message

Really like the look of this bag.  Attention to detail is evident!  

Glad.you shatter this with us

Ross

4 hours ago, Rossr said:

Glad.you shatter this with us

Ross

Thanks! I enjoy the puzzle of bringing all the pieces together. 
happy I can give back a little to the forum; lot of knowledge shared here

4 hours ago, Rossr said:

Glad.you shared this with us

Ross

Couldnt agree more tremendous knowledge everyone shares here thanks!

I realized auto correct changed what I meant to be shared to shatter. Opps

8 hours ago, motocouture said:

Thank you, and not a problem at all! Will send you a sketch diagram via message

Received with thanks and admiration for the practical and elegant design.

I like the design and the overall size.  That is a bag that is just right, like in Goldilocks!

I also love the mixing of color and leather types.  That is sure to draw questions and compliments.

Motocouture, I have a question about where the flap meets the edge of the bag on the side.  As it sits, it seems that it is "open", meaning when zipped shut there is still a small space that is not secure.  I don't know that I'm explaining myself very well.  But the way it looks, it is possible that things could possibly fall out or unwanted stuff find its way in.  If so, would it maybe make sense to extend the side up a bit and fold it in towards the interior?  Just wondering what you think.

6 hours ago, nstarleather said:

Really nice!  That HAAS has some great applications, glad you could put it to use.

Thank you! I love that HAAS leather, amazing quality and very versatile...thanks for sharing the goodies with us!

6 hours ago, Tugadude said:

I like the design and the overall size.  That is a bag that is just right, like in Goldilocks!

I also love the mixing of color and leather types.  That is sure to draw questions and compliments.

Thank you! I enjoy trying to match form with function, so you don’t end up with something too large or two small

Well done. Per usual haha. 

5 hours ago, Tugadude said:

Motocouture, I have a question about where the flap meets the edge of the bag on the side.  As it sits, it seems that it is "open", meaning when zipped shut there is still a small space that is not secure.  I don't know that I'm explaining myself very well.  But the way it looks, it is possible that things could possibly fall out or unwanted stuff find its way in.  If so, would it maybe make sense to extend the side up a bit and fold it in towards the interior?  Just wondering what you think.

I know exactly what you mean, and thanks for the suggestion! I was actually pondering the same problem, and trying to think through how to fix it.  I like your idea of extending up the side panel and folding in. I have seen some that have an extra long top flap that folds over and is strapped down, but especially when traveling, I don’t like having to use two hands to open / close a bag or having the extra closure when you’re in a rush (say, hypothetically, running late for boarding :rolleyes:)

4 minutes ago, Stetson912 said:

Well done. Per usual haha. 

Thank you so much!

@Tugadude here is another photo, showing a close up of the gap (ironically, I’m at the airport at the moment)

1FDA0E11-FFC4-4539-89AF-6AEF76847C19.jpeg

Exceptionally well done.

I had a bag like that with an extended flap that had velcro on it, easy to manage on the run, but probably not very bespoke to go with alligator and Haas.  Perhaps a snap instead, or a long flap that goes over the side and pulls down with a trigger snap/ring combo that could be operated one handed?

YinTx

5 minutes ago, YinTx said:

Exceptionally well done.

I had a bag like that with an extended flap that had velcro on it, easy to manage on the run, but probably not very bespoke to go with alligator and Haas.  Perhaps a snap instead, or a long flap that goes over the side and pulls down with a trigger snap/ring combo that could be operated one handed?

YinTx

Thanks - high praise coming from you (your work is outstanding :))!

hmmm, I like the trigger snap idea. Could maybe work that into a longer flap that clips on to the shoulder strap attachment. I’ll try sketching out some versions. Thanks for the suggestion, it’s amazing how involved what looks like a simple part of the bag can be. 

1 hour ago, motocouture said:

@Tugadude here is another photo, showing a close up of the gap (ironically, I’m at the airport at the moment)

1FDA0E11-FFC4-4539-89AF-6AEF76847C19.jpeg

Have a safe flight!  You could easily add a piece of leather on that edge.  I don't think it would look "off".  BTW, you did a nice job of transitioning from the piping to a regular seam.  A lot of folks have asked how to do that properly and would say you nailed it.

I was just thinking that bringing a piece off of the top with a snap fitting could work quite nicely. The snap fitting could do up on the strap D. The one I used in the making of this bag opens up a bit like a clothes peg and works very well single handed as well.

DSC02932_resize.JPG

DSC02955_resize.JPG

DSC02956_resize.JPG

Regards Brian