YinTx

Lost in the 50's... Red leather wallet

Wicket and Craig bridle leather wallet.  Fully lined, interior zipper pocket and 6 card slots.

50s diner or drive in look?

There is some pain associated with a bit of failure on this wallet... so first I'll show the good stuff.  Maybe if I get over the embarrassment, I'll show the failure...

YinTx

RedWallet1LoRes.thumb.jpg.fdf35e27d097518e0ce33b78ab965980.jpg

RedWallet8LoRes.thumb.jpg.bd2c23c7c021c9cd464d6c36ddb5bcb8.jpg

RedWallet10LoRes.thumb.jpg.e0e15b11f9eb1913b803b35d192865fa.jpg

RedWallet12LoRes.thumb.jpg.031115a01a412f5669a968dbdf33e95f.jpg

That is some clean work throughout. The only thing your problem might be is that you made it to open for a left handed person instead of a right hand person. just saying.

Holding in left hand......right hand thumb sweeps open the catch.  Holding open in left hand, right hand picks out money or cards.   What am I not seeing.....

Beautiful wallet! What no 20s?

15 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

In the 50's a 5 would be like a 20. LOL

3 minutes ago, sinpac said:

In the 50's a 5 would be like a 20. LOL

Well yea that's why I didn't say 100s LOL Only rich folk woulda had a wallet that nice!

5 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

Well yea that's why I didn't say 100s LOL Only rich folk woulda had a wallet that nice!

LOL Good one.

I like it.  Guy coulda incorporated that lizard, and I'd still like it ;)

Untitled-2.jpgInitially, I thought the gatah was part of the project (which I would not mind, though I realize that's more sewing).  Or caiman... what is that anyway?  Who wants to tell that lie that they can identify one from the other at this stage?

Good call on not displaying the date of the printing on the currency.

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

Or caiman... what is that anyway? 

Thanks for the compliment.  The leather is just a piece of scrap embossed low grade cow hide, so one could be forgiven for not being able to easily identify the creature!

5 hours ago, Stewart said:

That is some clean work throughout. The only thing your problem might be is that you made it to open for a left handed person instead of a right hand person. just saying.

Thank you, and I thought about this as I was making it.  Hoping I got it right, but still not sure?

4 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

Hahah!  Thanks, and I was hoping to get one or two of those bigger bills when I sell it... could use them in the next photo of my second wallet! :thumbsup:

YinTx

Ok, I'm over it.  Here's where it all went wrong.

The liner leather as I mentioned is very soft and flexible, so the leather easily deformed when pressing the awl through, resulting in uneven exit holes and a wretched stitchline on the backside of the stitch, which is the inside of the wallet.  After I noticed it was occurring, I was able to manage it through the rest of the job, but the damage was done.  Of course, zoomed in on a photograph it looks even worse.  But all this to say even after years of hand stitching, I can still manage to screw up a free lunch as they say.

YinTx

bad_stitchLoRes.thumb.jpg.e3c5bc5180dc24b2e025197638ecc211.jpg

13 hours ago, YinTx said:

Ok, I'm over it.  Here's where it all went wrong.

The liner leather as I mentioned is very soft and flexible, so the leather easily deformed when pressing the awl through, resulting in uneven exit holes and a wretched stitchline on the backside of the stitch, which is the inside of the wallet.  After I noticed it was occurring, I was able to manage it through the rest of the job, but the damage was done.  Of course, zoomed in on a photograph it looks even worse.  But all this to say even after years of hand stitching, I can still manage to screw up a free lunch as they say.

YinTx

bad_stitchLoRes.thumb.jpg.e3c5bc5180dc24b2e025197638ecc211.jpg

Now that's what I call pain... And painful too! Commiserations, YinTx! Recovery usually entails making another, and not getting the shakes as you tackle that stitch line... ;-)

That sux.   I know how you feel.   This might be a situation to lay it flat and awl into a cork board.   

- Bill

5 hours ago, Riem said:

Recovery usually entails making another,

Yes indeed, after I picked myself up and dusted myself off, got back on the bike :bike: and did this one:

Did a bit of work skiving around the edges this time, and things came out much much better!

2 hours ago, billybopp said:

That sux.   I know how you feel.   This might be a situation to lay it flat and awl into a cork board.   

- Bill

Yeah, if I had to do that again I would consider your method.  I'll try to design and manage myself out of the situation as much as I can tho!

YinTx

Gah, that sucks. 

I totally appreciate your presence on this forum, Yin. You’re a model of how to improve. Thanks for showing the successes and the failures.

17 minutes ago, Retswerb said:

Gah, that sucks. 

I totally appreciate your presence on this forum, Yin. You’re a model of how to improve. Thanks for showing the successes and the failures.

Yessir it did! suck, that is.  And if you ever need to see how to wreck it, I'm your guy!  I've learned a lot on here, glad I can share.  I know it can be frustrating to see everyone else's work that looks so perfect, and I tend to forget that they may also only be showing the pretty side of their works!  So if my ugly row of stitching can make anyone feel better about the work they are doing, well then I've had a successful day.  :cheers:

YinTx