LiftPig

A better closure?

I have a client who wants a messenger bag made.  He wants magnetic closures but also wants a handle on the top like a briefcase.  I told him that I didn't think the closures would be strong enough to keep the bag from opening if lifted by the handle.  I'm happy to put a handle on (or anything else for that matter), but it will be purely ornamental.  I did tell him that I'd ask if anyone had experience with some closures that would work - so here I am.  He does not want any buckles, all closures must be hidden.

tl;dr:  Does anyone know any hidden closures for a messenger bag strong enough for the bag to be picked up by a handle like a briefcase?

I agree that magnetic closures will not be sufficient, even some tuck-tite types aren't strong enough

I would attach the ends of a handle to the top of gusset, towards the rear so it doesn't obstruct the opening too much.

You might move the handle to the back similar to a "mail bag" where there would be little pressure on the flap closure.  

1 hour ago, steven1 said:

You might move the handle to the back similar to a "mail bag" where there would be little pressure on the flap closure.  

I think this is the solution!  Thank you.

Was going to suggest two interlocking angled pieces under the flap but I think you'd have to make em. Imagine two Js, one upside down and interlocking.

3 hours ago, toxo said:

Was going to suggest two interlocking angled pieces under the flap but I think you'd have to make em. Imagine two Js, one upside down and interlocking.

That would work too. I can make them.  I have a forge and some light steel or could get some brass.

Got any pictures you care to share with this messenger bag, . . . 

All of us here love to see what "the other guy" is doing, . . . so most of us share 

May God bless,

Dwight

Here's the bag I made for my wife.  Just a simple single compartment messenger bag with a pocket hidden inside.  Magnetic closures.  The bag in question would be similar (I haven't started building it yet) but he wants a handle.  I think I'll integrate both good suggestions and attach the handle to the back of the bag and change the closures to forged brass J-hooks since I don't like the way the magnetic ones showed (but this is what she asked for specifically so....).

This bag is 15.5" wide by 11" tall and 3" deep to accommodate her laptop.  I built it inside out and then turned it right so the seams were all hidden (again per request).  The main body is a 4.5oz oily pull up.  The strap is a denser 6oz pull up that I sewed the edges of just for decoration.  The closures are hidden by 2oz veg tan.  Every stitch hand sewn.

bag.jpg

21 hours ago, LiftPig said:

I think this is the solution!  Thank you.

Trouble with this is the bottom of the bag will rub against the leg as the weight will swing it inwards due to centre of gravity

Try lifting one of those plastic shopping bags with weight in it by one handle and see what i mean

Edited by chrisash

An extra disc of leather can be glued over the back of the magnet to help them from showing through so bad.

17 hours ago, Tugadude said:

An extra disc of leather can be glued over the back of the magnet to help them from showing through so bad.

A quick job for a lady that likes Wolves and Purple. As you can see, an artist I'm not. (unless you put a five inch angle grinder in my hand.) Not in love with the magnets.

inside wolf 001.jpg

inside wolf 002.jpg

inside wolf 003.jpg