Where is the best place to get Herman oak, 13/15oz sides from?  I only need 2 for the saddle I am wanting to build.  What about Wickett-Craig, is their skirting as good as Herman Oak?

Check with Panhandle Leather, Amarillo, Tx.  I buy most of my leather there, good people, reasonable prices and shipping!

Take a look at Bowden Saddle Tree Co. They have a "kit" that has HO skirting along with the tree and everything you need to build a saddle. It's a pretty good way to go if you don't build a lot of saddles... 

The folks at Panhandle are good to work with, too. 

Unfortunately their 'kit' link says nothing is available now.

God bless

Springfield leather seems ok, I'd call your order in and ask for nice looking hides.

I buy some things from Weaver but it seems like they always send me the leftovers as far as sides go.

As mentioned previously, the Panhandle folks are great to deal with. I've bought a lot (at least from my perspective) of leather from them. The HO they sell it's tannery run, so quality is variable.

I've recently bought #1 HO from Goliger and Montana Leather. Both were easy to work with. I'm going to order a couple sides from Montana next week.

Randy

I buy #1 HO skirting from from Montana Leather and most else from Hide House. Both give great price and service, and you can get a business discount.  -John

17 hours ago, DirtyDusty said:

Is Wicket Craig #1 skirting as good as HO #1?

I have gotten great leather from both tanneries, and I've gotten crap leather from both tanneries.  Are you asking about the comparison of grading between the two, or the comparison of leather quality between the two?  Regardless, the answers are going to be largely subjective.  In my experience: if you like a dense, firm leather that requires a good bit of break-in time but will last longest with minimal care, HO is your go to.  If you want a leather that is looser fibered which means initially softer leather and requires little to no break-in time, but under hard using conditions will not hold up as long, Wickett is your choice.  Furthermore, your yield will generally be poorer with Wickett due to the belly getting soft higher in the side.  It is initially a little higher in cost I believe, and the poorer yield drives the price even higher.  I don't mean that it's bad leather because I still have a lot of customers request it, you just have to evaluate your needs.

If you are asking about grading comparisons, it's a crapshoot.  The last two shipments of Wickett I've gotten have been decently clean, and that even included several sides of their sale offerings, which are usually specials or C grade.  On the other hand, the last skirting order I got from HO had a lot of waste due to blemishes, and those were A grade sides.  The last black harness order I got direct from HO however, was some of the nicest leather I've ever gotten from anyone.

So, in summary, I would advise basing your decision on what characteristics you desire from your leather, and regardless of which brand you go with, I advise getting more than you think you need.  Two sides will build a saddle, IF you make no mistakes, IF you get nice clean sides, IF you are very careful placing and cutting your patterns, etc, etc.  I never did seem to be able to order just two or even 3 sides and be able to cut to the best advantage.  Sure as heck, none of them will be suitable for a seat for whatever reason.  

One thing I forgot to mention in regards to Wickett, it seems to me their weight/thickness grading trends toward the lighter end.  In other words, the HO I get normally is AT LEAST as thick as I order, while Wickett is usually at best just barely the labeled thickness and often under.

Best of luck to you.

Ditto to what BigSioux said.  HO isn't necessarily better than WC, just different.  I like the color of the russet WC.  For working saddles I like the firmness of HO.  On the other hand, for a saddle that won't get hard use and won't get broke in for a long time, WC will be more supple.  I'd rather carve HO; stamping is a toss up.  WC will sell you any number of sides you want, even one, and give you good service.  I buy HO 10 at a time from the factory, which is their minimum order.  You can mix weights within the 10 side minimum.  Also, as BigSioux said, don't count on getting a saddle out of two sides.  You need to be very picky about laying out your components.  Forget about yield and focus on quality and durability.