Rosch22

Without holding thread

Hi leatherworkers,

some days ago I was on the road and visiting a company busy in all leatherworks.

Had a look on the machines, all brands, all types and old as usual,  like Adler, Pfaff, Singer....!

The ladies working with them did not, to my surprise, hold the thread while starting to sew, they just let the presser foot down and here we go.

If I would do that with my Adlers, not holding the thread tight while starting, I could phone the mechanic straightaway to bring the big spareparts bag and start repairing the whole lot.

I asked the owner, he said they have a great mechanic who is perfectly setting the machines to highest use and comfort.

Wow, anybody of You works the same ? All tips (also the secret ones) are wellcome ;) !

You place the thread under the presser foot and if there is enough pressure it works fine

2 minutes ago, chrisash said:

You place the thread under the presser foot and if there is enough pressure it works fine

Mom taught me that trick 65 years ago.

It still works too.

May God bless,

Dwight

I'll have to try that. I'm of the " hold the thread" crowd  :)

On 10/5/2020 at 5:28 PM, Rosch22 said:

If I would do that with my Adlers, not holding the thread tight while starting, I could phone the mechanic straightaway to bring the big spareparts bag and start repairing the whole lot.

A lot of us are our own mechanics , where I live, I have no choice   :) 

HS

If you start with the takeup lever at its highest point, it helps.

Also, horizontal axis hook (side loading bobbin) is less likely to be an issue in this regard than vertical axis (top loading bobbin) design machines.

That said, I find it easiest to hold the threads back every time.    

Edited by Pintodeluxe

14 hours ago, Pintodeluxe said:

If you start with the takeup lever at its highest point, it helps.

Also, horizontal axis hook (side loading bobbin) is less likely to be an issue in this regard than vertical axis (top loading bobbin) design machines.

That said, I find it easiest to hold the threads back every time.    

what . pintodeluxe ... say's . I think it mostly depends on the what bobbin assembly the machine has. some machines design are 1st stroke thread-tail grab magnets if you don't hold, and then some type machines don't grab but rarely.
On the machines I have a couple of them are real grabby and you cant ever  forget to hold the thread tails on the 1st stroke ever.  Then on a couple machines, they rarely will ever grab and tangle on the 1st stroke.
I think the most forgiving machines I have for not holding thread tails on the start stroke is a old Jap Consew walkfoot, and Mitsubishi. The very WORST 1st stroke grabber for machine I have, is the old Swiss Bernina 217. and you 'can't ever not once' forget with that machine.
-

I got into the habit of holding my thread at the back at least for the first stitch after I let it go.

but several times I forgot to pick up the thread and I have never had any problems or bad remarks from my machine.

Edited by paloma