mogwild

Need help on value of a Pearson No 6 bobbin winder

I've acquired an electric winder for my Randall Harness stitcher, previously I've used this Pearson No 6 winder and it's worked flawlessly, but I probably won't use it anymore. Anyone know the value of one of these? It's beautiful to look at if nothing else ;)

IMG_20210117_102223 (Medium).jpg

IMG_20210117_102234 (Medium).jpg

IMG_20210117_102247 (Medium).jpg

IMG_20210117_102258 (Medium).jpg

IMG_20210117_102316 (Medium).jpg

IMG_20210117_102329 (Medium).jpg

IMG_20210117_102412 (Medium).jpg

IMG_20210117_102444 (Medium).jpg

I read prices of up to $600 but that could have been Aussie Dollars.

Right now one is on ebay for 499 GBP but yours appears to be in better condition (but I would clean it anyway) but I don´t think the one on Ebay will sell for that price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Bobbin-Winder-For-Pearson-6-Harness-British-United-Leather-Stitcher-/264340833603

If you want to sell it fast I think a fair price is $300-350

Yes that one on Ebay UK has been there around 2 years at least. 

1 hour ago, Constabulary said:

I read prices of up to $600 but that could have been Aussie Dollars.

Right now one is on ebay for 499 GBP but yours appears to be in better condition (but I would clean it anyway) but I don´t think the one on Ebay will sell for that price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Bobbin-Winder-For-Pearson-6-Harness-British-United-Leather-Stitcher-/264340833603

If you want to sell it fast I think a fair price is $300-350

Thank you, I didn't know if I should clean it or leave if (horror stories of antiques being worth less when cleaned and all).

Whats the best way to clean this thing up? I sold the machine so the Bobbin winder is surplus to my needs and I'd like to get it cleaned and ready for sale. Just heat and scrub?

depends on what gunk you have there, I´d scrape it off and I´m usually using paint thinner for cleaning off the reaming gunk.

Edited by Constabulary

Many antique sellers just rub down something like that with paste wax and don’t worry about cleaning it up at all.   You could carefully scrub it for two hours with a toothbrush and not increase it’s value.   

Use a degreaser and cleaner to clean it up.  I would pay more for an item that has been rebuilt and cleaned.

glenn

I like them with the gook and grease on them so I can decide what to clean or leave.

God bless