Has anyone bought from a company called Likolly? I get Facebook ads for their products all the time. Some of their tools look nice but I can't find any information about them and I don't want to get scammed.

I have not.

I have purchased leather tools from likolly last year and the quality is good. It takes about a week to receive my products.

Edited by Ffion

Fiona, will they cut through heavy veg tan? Or just the thin soft stuff?

On 4/24/2022 at 6:04 PM, OldRedMule said:

Fiona, will they cut through heavy veg tan? Or just the thin soft stuff?

Ffion has made exactly one post on this site two months ago and has zero profile content so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a reply from them. I wouldn't be surprised if they're a shill or plant.

Likolly appears to be a Chinese site selling run-of-the-mill tools from that nation's factories as available from AliExpress, Amazon or eBay so if you have a particular tool in mind you can likely get an opinion about it somewhere. Prices appear pretty much in line with those other sites, which have very good consumer protection.

At risk of making a sweeping statement Chinese made leather tools can be "perfectly serviceable" or "good", and often "innovative", but tend to be more in the "barely adequate" to "poor" range. Their electrical machines are often downright dangerous as-shipped.

Edge tools like knives and edge bevellers are often not properly honed from the factory, especially if you want to cut tougher leathers. This tends to apply no matter where in the world you buy them from, though notable exceptions apply. They will need periodic or constant edge maintenance in use dependant on your use, so just like with hand-tool woodwork at some point you just need to learn how to sharpen.

I looked at their website. There were a few items I'd like but not available thru ebay. I may take a punt on one or two low priced items and see how it goes

. . . .  or maybe not

Edited by fredk

I have bought a couple of their keychain dies, their zippo pattern and mold, and some of their little earring-looking things to hold punched leather together while I stitch the seam.

The dies have cut 6-8 ounce veg tan, ostrich legs, 4 oz oil tan, and everything I've thrown at them (including, once, the side of my thumb). I use them with my harbor freight arbor press, and have also hammered them out with my old rawhide hammer and a wooden mallet.

The zippo mold works great with 3-4oz veg tan. The acrylic patterns are way too thin, and many of the stitching holes aren't really round or all the same size - their laser isn't perfectly calibrated. But they work for the patterns and I can mark and punch my own stitch lines.

Overall, for a cheap "will I like something like this" they're not a bad option. And they do seem to offer doodads that seem to fill specific niche needs. And having seen that I can use the arbor press as a "clicker" I've bought some high-quality dies for wallets that work about the same, but appear to be MUCH more durable (and able to be sharpened if necessary). The Likolly ones will be done for if they get dull or bent.