40 minutes ago, Davm said:

I know nothing about chaps so I am learning. I wondered why the belt buckle was in back, off hand I figured it ought to be in front.  I also wondered why just a single thing was often seen in front. So. the deal is, the single thong in front is what a working cowboy would want in case he got thrown forward and the front of the chaps hooked over the saddle horn? Is that correct?  On the sew on pockets, do they interfere were riding or are they "Okay"? It would be a convenience to have them. And on the fringe- I'll try the Plexiglas template with the one cut line. My problem with fringe is keeping each strand the same width as the others and not accidentally cutting off a strand at an angle. I can see that keeping everything flat under Plexiglas would be a huge help.  How was the fringe attached? A separate piece sewn in?  Thanks.

Maybe maybe not learn with a grain of salt!   The lacing it self was for the main purpose of adjustment still is. There are no experts on wearing or using chaps giving you answers me included. I'm sure part of it may be safety part of it comfort part of it because as the lace broke out on the range and there was only enough left to tie them on by one hole.

i need a 100% historically accurate picture of 19th century step in shotgun chaps.

25 minutes ago, hickok55 said:

i need a 100% historically accurate picture of 19th century step in shotgun chaps.

you posted one! its as good as any others.

7 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

you posted one! its as good as any others.

oh okay thank you

8 minutes ago, hickok55 said:

oh okay thank you

your welcome! good luck and look forward to see what you make.

53 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

your welcome! good luck and look forward to see what you make.

i'll make sure to post photos.

Since leather is expensive, I'd make a prototype out of canvas or vinyl and tweak that to fit and then use it for a pattern.  On those photos. As I understand it, there were photographers in New York City dressing up patrons in western garb for a photo so it is best to try to find a "trail" photo on folks out west on a horse. etc. 

i agree

Edited by hickok55

20 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

I have that pattern and have made it a few times.  It's useful but if I use it now, it's with a lot of "modifications".  For shotgun chaps, I think the Springfield Leather pattern is better.  Historically accurate?  I don't know.  I haven't been around for as much history as some people think:rolleyes2:.  OBTW, I have had the front billet hook over the saddle horn in a "storm"(BLM wild horse).  I took a couple hard bounces before it broke and was I glad it did.  I had made the buckle billet out of 3-4 oz veg tan.  I thought it was too weak when I made it but decided later maybe it was too strong.  It was just what I had. 

JM2C

18 minutes ago, jrdunn said:

I have that pattern and have made it a few times.  It's useful but if I use it now, it's with a lot of "modifications".  For shotgun chaps, I think the Springfield Leather pattern is better.  Historically accurate?  I don't know.  I haven't been around for as much history as some people think:rolleyes2:.  OBTW, I have had the front billet hook over the saddle horn in a "storm"(BLM wild horse).  I took a couple hard bounces before it broke and was I glad it did.  I had made the buckle billet out of 3-4 oz veg tan.  I thought it was too weak when I made it but decided later maybe it was too strong.  It was just what I had. 

JM2C

Awesome info right here!! From someone who actually uses them! Thank you. 

In any event the belt buckle goes over the back of the left hip and you use a thong in front- and all so that if you get thrown forward and the saddle horn hooks under the chaps- you aren't hanging there- the thong breaks???

1 hour ago, Davm said:

In any event the belt buckle goes over the back of the left hip and you use a thong in front- and all so that if you get thrown forward and the saddle horn hooks under the chaps- you aren't hanging there- the thong breaks???

Exactly. Although left hip/right hip depends on the user.

For what it is worth, which arguably isn't much, I looked up the word cowboy on the interwebs and here is the Wiki page.  You'll notice there are some negative uses of the term, but in limited contexts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboy