skiddrowe

Crafter in Leather

Hello, All of You Kind Crafters, I've seen several videos where the crafter used a red, narrow leather rougher. I've tried to locate a leather supply company that sells them. Could anyone let me know of a leather supply company through which I can purchase one?

And there I've been using 50 grade grit paper on a stick to do my job 

Me too, took a piece of 1/2 metal and bent it to a comfortable angle and cut pieces off a 50 grit stick on disc on it.

1 hour ago, fredk said:

At some point we must do a thread about the things we all actually use *instead of* what the shops are recommending we should be using

If you boil it down I'm pretty sure in the end someone can do leatherworking with just a kitchen knife and a fork :lol:

@skiddrowe - are you talking about something like this?   https://www.micromark.com/SANDING-WAND-SET   - They are meant for modelers who work with plastic models and such, but they work great for roughing up leather to glue, or tight spaces cleaning up edges to burnish.

-  Bill

12 hours ago, Spyros said:

If you boil it down I'm pretty sure in the end someone can do leatherworking with just a kitchen knife and a fork :lol:

Honestly . . .  I have a couple knives in my kitchen that I could use doing leather work . . . as I believe in sharp knives.

AND . . . get down to it . . . most kitchen forks can give you a pretty consistent spacing pattern of 5 stitches to the inch . . . if you happen to not have another tool there at the time.

And I have to admit . . . I'm one of those guys who will use whatever works . . . sometimes something else works a lot better . . . but it is $79.95 plus tax and is 45 miles away. 

So I'll just use this other thing that belongs in my automotive tool box for now.

May God bless,

Dwight

16 hours ago, fredk said:

i buy those sandpaper things women use for their nails, already on a stick. The women's makeup department is your friend lol. tons of cool stuff for putting liquids and pastes on and off.

Something tells me the OP is referring to this one.  Can find them at several leather suppliers.  I took this pic from Weaver's site.

Hand Leather Rougher

41 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

Something tells me the OP is referring to this one.  Can find them at several leather suppliers.  I took this pic from Weaver's site.

Hand Leather Rougher

Osborne makes one like that.  It will turn smooth grain into seude fairly quickly.  Good for gluing items that are cased or otherwise difficult to hold together before sewing. 

18 hours ago, mike02130 said:

was reading the reviews of your product one said Tandy sold them also. Sure enough.https://tandyleather.com/products/craftool-pro-detail-rougher?_pos=1&_sid=003668375&_ss=r

The prices they want for these simple little tools:no::ranting2::censored2: LOL I'll stick with the simple 50 grit sand paper and a rough nail file. I'm CHEAP!:yes:

I use one of those things because it's just faster than messing with sandpaper, and I'm lazy. 

It was like $10, works fine, sometimes it clogs up and you need to give it a clean with one of those brass wire brushes (brass because you want it to be softer than the tool you're cleaning so you don't ruin it) 

il_1588xN.2130014206_7fsj.jpg

A thought; would a riffler work? I must try to find one of mine and try it

20 minutes ago, fredk said:

A thought; would a riffler work? 

Oh yeah absolutely

9 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

The prices they want for these simple little tools:no::ranting2::censored2: LOL I'll stick with the simple 50 grit sand paper and a rough nail file. I'm CHEAP!:yes:

Well, they have to actually heat treat that rough edge, same as you would with a file, otherwise it won't last very long.  I'm actually impressed they can make them so cheaply, I mean I could make one but it would take me a couple of hours and I would want a lot more than $10 for that alone. 

The benefits of mass production :)

Edited by Spyros

18 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

i buy those sandpaper things women use for their nails, already on a stick. The women's makeup department is your friend lol. tons of cool stuff for putting liquids and pastes on and off.

Yup!   Those work really well too - just try to buy them from anyplace but the local drugstore where they charge many times what you'd pay elsewhere!

- Bill

I was in the model train section at PM hobby craft and found these. I thought they would work great.

https://excelblades.com/search?q=sanding+stick&type=product

Alternatively, they have cheap sanding sticks (grit glued to color-coded wooden sticks) like the nail file sticks mentioned above but specifically for hobby craft. I think this link is for them but there isn’t a picture.

https://www.pmhobbycraft.ca/sanding-sticks-50-piece.html

You can make those sanding sticks yourself very easily. I make my own for plastic modelling.

Just need a sheet or two of grit paper, double-sided tape and a load of lolly/flat popsicle sticks. Costs about a few $$ to make 30 to 50 sanding sticks