AzShooter

Tried A New Wallet

I picked up a couple of Ostridge skins at Tandy recently and today I decided to make a wallet out of the red one.  Stitching by hand so I'd like comments from anyone willing to critique.

I forget what type of leather I used for the interior.  It's 2 oz and I think it's pig skin, again from Tandy.

Red Ostridge from.jpg

Red Ostridge Interior.jpg

Shooter you should retake pic, bad lighting can hardly see 

58 minutes ago, Bawarrior said:

Shooter you should retake pic, bad lighting can hardly see 

must be your monitor photo is ok

48 minutes ago, Bert03241 said:

must be your monitor photo is ok

I have a nice 4k resolution monitor - its hard to see clearly. 

Edited by Gulrok

I can see both photos very clearly

Nice choice for the exterior, but I'm not shure on your choice for the interior. It kinda doesn't go with the exterior.

and I think you need to work on your edges

Thanks Fredk.  I thought that too so I re did the edges.  They came out much better after some sanding with 400 then 800 sandpaper and burnishing.   I forgot to take pictures because when I showed it to my friend he asked for it.

Edited by AzShooter
typo

Love the ostrich, well done :)

If you end up making another wallet, here's a couple of ideas for improvement:

a) you are definitely piercing your threads, I can see it from the way your stitches are not aligned but "jump" up and down (look at the stitch line up top, on the back of the ostrich panel).  What I mean is, when you pass the second thread through the hole, you are piercing with your needle the first thread that is already in there, and then when you tension the thread it pulls the first thread up.  You have to avoid that entirely, and if you see it happening go backwards a couple of stitches and correct it.  To avoid it, try and remind yourself to hold the thread in one end of the hole and pass the other needle from the other end of the hole, to keep them as separate as possible.

b) the top of the wallet is a bit wobbly, to avoid that you can add a strip of thin leather on the inside of the exterior panel up the top, and stitch it only at the top.  That will give you some rigidity and a nice straight edge without adding much bulk.

Oops, must be me my bad. Nice job AzShooter

2 hours ago, Spyros said:

Love the ostrich, well done :)

If you end up making another wallet, here's a couple of ideas for improvement:

a) you are definitely piercing your threads, I can see it from the way your stitches are not aligned but "jump" up and down (look at the stitch line up top, on the back of the ostrich panel).  What I mean is, when you pass the second thread through the hole, you are piercing with your needle the first thread that is already in there, and then when you tension the thread it pulls the first thread up.  You have to avoid that entirely, and if you see it happening go backwards a couple of stitches and correct it.  To avoid it, try and remind yourself to hold the thread in one end of the hole and pass the other needle from the other end of the hole, to keep them as separate as possible.

b) the top of the wallet is a bit wobbly, to avoid that you can add a strip of thin leather on the inside of the exterior panel up the top, and stitch it only at the top.  That will give you some rigidity and a nice straight edge without adding much bulk.

Thanks for the advice.  I will definitely try it on my next wallet.

5 hours ago, Gulrok said:

I have a nice 4k resolution monitor - its hard to see clearly. 

I have no trouble seeing these pictures, their clear with pretty good color.