BlackDragon

Purchase Paralysis

I've been reading sales sites, watching videos, and reading the threads here (I really appreciate this forum and the people that have so much insightful knowledge)

I'm struggling to decide on a machine. I've narrowed it down to either the Cobra class 4 or the Cowboy cb4500. 

I decided on the standard package with a roller guide. I'm pretty handy and have supplies to make myself a worktable to fit the cylinder arm.

I will be contacting @RockyAussie and @Patrick1 about their accessories.

Do these machines run on 220v or 110? I need to run 220v for a skiver I just picked up.

Which of the two roller guides would be better the drop down or swing away? I like the idea of the drop down and was curious as to it's sturdiness. Is there any slop to it?

The big question is, which of the two machines should I pull the trigger on? If you have a cobra do you wish you bought the cowboy or if you have a cowboy do you wish you bought the cobra. Should I just flip a coin and pick one? I have a feeling this question is like asking which is better Chevy or Ford. :lol:

I appreciate any information yall can help me with.

Edited by BlackDragon

5 minutes ago, BlackDragon said:

The big question is, which of the two machines should I pull the trigger on?

I think these two machines are basically the same so it probably is going to come down to two factors:

1) Price: the cost of the machine plus whatever the shipping cost is going to be to your location.

i) COBRA Class 4 S Heavy Duty Stitcher With Standard Package at $2,995.00  and  Cowboy CB4500 Heavy Leather Sewing Machine at $2995.00

ii) Shipping to your location ????

iii) Are both offering the same accessories / table / servo motor????

2) Service: This is probably the most important factor. Who do you think or feel comfortable dealing with to provide the best service both before and after the sale regardless of price???

I think you might just have to flip that coin.

kgg

if you have a business license you can ask each to give you a bid. make sure your specs are equal to both companies.  One or the other may be able to go cheaper, in my experience as a manager both can go cheaper but you have to ask. Thinking about it a business license may not be necessary but you do have to ask!! i buy construction stuff this way all the time.

Or you can get a quote from one and take it to the other and see if they can / want to beat it.

From everything I’ve read the Cowboy 4500 is the same machine as the Class 4 I use. I picked mine up from Springfield Leather and saved the shipping.cost. Members of this forum have taught me how to use and maintain my machine. The cost of the leather I’ve run through my machine in 2.5 years is approaching the cost of the sewing machine and I expect it to last for many more years. I don’t think you can go wrong with either machine.  

The two machines are, to all intents and purposes, identical. Probably comes down to whichever one you can get the best deal on (depending what accessories, if any, you want with it).

15 hours ago, BlackDragon said:

I'm struggling to decide on a machine. I've narrowed it down to either the Cobra class 4 or the Cowboy cb4500. 

They're  the same machine, give or take a few accessories perhaps?  Take into account price, freight etc.  . Perhaps what sort of deal both sellers  can offer ?  Both machines will do a great job, and no doubt  both companies will look after you. 

All I can suggest is , toss a coin :yes:

HS

(Chevy or Ford??  I like both ) 

Aren't they the exact same machine, from the exact same factory in China?  More like Chevy vs Pontiac.

I'm closing in on the funds to buy one, so I'm watching all these threads closely.

not what I have heard.  There are A grade makers, B grade makers, etc  I remember reading something that Cowboy was hiring a saddle maker to go to China to work with the builders of whatever factory they are using.

10 minutes ago, Deryk said:

not what I have heard.  There are A grade makers, B grade makers, etc  I remember reading something that Cowboy was hiring a saddle maker to go to China to work with the builders of whatever factory they are using.

Thanks. I sure wish there was less ambiguity. Alibaba has scads of machines that *look* alike, but who knows ... ?

Yeah same on allieexpress...If I wasn't so poor I would take a chance with one of the bigger companies, but you never know what you will get.  

I bought my Cowboy 4500 from Bob a Toledo Industrial.  I'm very happy with the machine and the service from Bob.  JM2C,  Jim

20 hours ago, Deryk said:

Yeah same on allieexpress...If I wasn't so poor I would take a chance with one of the bigger companies, but you never know what you will get.  

I found that by the time I had added on all the costs associated with shipping one of those machines from Aliexpress there was no (financial) advantage to be gained and potentially much to lose.

Thanks everyone for your input.

After a lot of back and forth and back again the choice really just fell to shipping cost.

I found a local dealer, ZackWhite.com,  through another thread and called them up. I opted to make the 3hr drive to them so I'll save on freight costs. Instead of $430 shipping I'll be spending about $90 in gas plus some time.

Unfortunately once I get there I'll probably wind up spending the money I saved on toys I my find. :rofl:

2 hours ago, BlackDragon said:

I found a local dealer, ZackWhite.com

I buy supplies and leather belt strips from ZachWhite. Also, they make black leather balm I like to spread onto black dyed holsters, then buff.

10 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

I buy supplies and leather belt strips from ZachWhite. Also, they make black leather balm I like to spread onto black dyed holsters, then buff.

I'll have to check it out. Thanks.