Alexis1234

Fancy strapwork with pinked border

Graduated strap of 29 antique sleigh bells, approximately107 " long x 4" wide( including billet). Largest bell is a #15. Wavy cut, tapered harness leather strap, hand stamped border, crimson colored pinked wool felt edge,raised billet, fully lined in chestnut bridle leather. I don't think I'll be making another one- this was a bear to get stitched up. I had to rearrange my shop to be able to do so. I hand punched almost 4 yards of felt for this one.  On a side note, finally figured out how to resize pics for this site. Thoughts, critiques always welcome!

IMG_20230301_225410_482.jpg

IMG_20230301_005044_603.jpg

PhotoRoom-20230303_120331.png

PhotoRoom-20230303_120433.png

PhotoRoom-20230303_120244.png

PhotoRoom-20230303_120512.png

That looks incredible!! Can I ask what the end use is? Decoration? Actual horse tack?

It's a body strap of bells- draft sized. I made up 2 short keeper straps as well for attaching to harness to help keep it in place

I'm really interested in learning how to make equine items, but that's way, way outta my league. Beautiful work!!

Thank you! My advice is to go for it! Don't be intimated. If it's something you want to pursue- just start :)

that's very cool "He gave his harness bells a shake to ask if there's been some mistake " no mistake on this beautiful work.

1 minute ago, Samalan said:

that's very cool "He gave his harness bells a shake to ask if there's been some mistake " no mistake on this beautiful work.

Thank you :)

Very nice! What tool is that you used for the felt scallops (lack of better term)?

Beautiful craftsmanship and LOTS of stitching.  How are the bells attached to the strap?

6 minutes ago, DaveP said:

Very nice! What tool is that you used for the felt scallops (lack of better term)?

It is antique " pinking" punch

5 minutes ago, TomE said:

Beautiful craftsmanship and LOTS of stitching.  How are the bells attached to the strap?

They are attached using brass wire  bent in  figure eight pattern

Beautiful work.  Nice tight stitching.

/dwight

Wow! Very beautiful.

Beautiful work,

Is the felt edge a traditional trimming? 

Brgds Jonas

that is fantastic work! I love the sound of sleigh bells.

3 hours ago, Mulesaw said:

Beautiful work,

Brgds Jonas

Thank you. I've only seen a couple of much simpler antique straps with the felt, also some saddle chimes. More common to bind the strap in pinked thin leather. I could

3 hours ago, Mulesaw said:

Beautiful work,

Brgds Jonas

n't find any  leather I liked in that color.  I just did whatever I wanted to on this,lol.

My previous reply cut off for some reason. I meant to say- I've only seen a couple of antique examples with the felt. More common for pinked leather, but I couldn't find a color I liked. 

2 hours ago, Alexis1234 said:

My previous reply cut off for some reason. I meant to say- I've only seen a couple of antique examples with the felt. More common for pinked leather, but I couldn't find a color I liked. 

I have seen some rifle slings that were lined with green felt. And I generally think that felt ads a touch of class to most things. 

If it isn't too much to ask for, if you ever get a picture of the sleight bell strap and this body strap on the actual horse, I would love to see the picture :-)

5 hours ago, Alexis1234 said:

I had an uncle that used to raise Percherons and I remember that he had some bell straps for them that had felt like that.  On the other hand he was 102 when he finally passed away, and that was 20 years ago.  So I guess his straps could probably be considered antiques.

/dwight

Wow, that looks amazing.  Well done!

I agree with , its awesome work:thumbsup::You_Rock_Emoticon:

When I first looked at it I thought it was nice sleigh bells, then I zoomed in.

:jawdropper:

That is some BEAUTIFUL work!

21 hours ago, Mulesaw said:

I have seen some rifle slings that were lined with green felt. And I generally think that felt ads a touch of class to most things. 

If it isn't too much to ask for, if you ever get a picture of the sleight bell strap and this body strap on the actual horse, I would love to see the picture :-)

Definitely:)

17 hours ago, DwightT said:

I had an uncle that used to raise Percherons and I remember that he had some bell straps for them that had felt like that.  On the other hand he was 102 when he finally passed away, and that was 20 years ago.  So I guess his straps could probably be considered antiques.

/dwight

That's awesome that you remember his bells... I wish there was more of that stuff still around

Thank you all, for the kind words- I don't know how to quote multiple people at the same time otherwise everyone would get a response! I'm glad I shared some of my oddball/ niche work. 

3 hours ago, Alexis1234 said:

Thank you all, for the kind words- I don't know how to quote multiple people at the same time otherwise everyone would get a response! I'm glad I shared some of my oddball/ niche work. 

For each person just hit the quote reply and it will show as many as you hit in a comment.