Garyak

Diamondback rattlesnake sheath

Finally got me a rattlesnake. From Nevada of all places. Here I am in Deep South Texas surrounded by scrub brush, and can’t find a rattlesnake to save my life. The diamondbacks online have really gotten pricey, in 1996 they were 75$, now a decent skin is 200+. I’ve worked with every permitted skin on the planet, but rattlesnake is Handsdown the coolest I think. 

38C6CA41-A6D3-4031-8BF2-19CBEAC0D765.jpeg

2CC1F3EE-FE5C-404D-9100-759F44000FCD.jpeg

972EB19D-46DB-42B3-9F13-80439C3ED452.jpeg

7DAAC850-D0A5-4AA7-BC6A-1CC3C31049A3.jpeg

Edited by Garyak

Nice:thumbsup:

Let’s take off for a week and drive to the ever glades

go hunt a boat load of python 

Lemmie axe you som’n

Dude is gifting me a a 6’ gater

It needs tanning, I am thinking that a gater is a reptile, therefore it can be tanned like a snake.  Wat ju think?

SWEET!!

awesome as always!! no diamond backs here but plenty of prairie rattlers. I usually get a few every year just along the road.

3 hours ago, Frodo said:

Let’s take off for a week and drive to the ever glades

go hunt a boat load of python 

Lemmie axe you som’n

Dude is gifting me a a 6’ gater

It needs tanning, I am thinking that a gater is a reptile, therefore it can be tanned like a snake.  Wat ju think?

American leather works. Tanning kits. And Springfield leather co too I believe. Follow directions or it’ll be hard as a gator when it’s done. 

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

awesome as always!! no diamond backs here but plenty of prairie rattlers. I usually get a few every year just along the road.

Thanks bud! I bought some of those prairie rattlers… had to glue them down repeatedly before they would take. Seem to be plentiful up there. 

WOW! That is absolutely fantastic. Beautiful sheath. 

So love that :thumbsup: I also love the ' embellishments' on your machine  :) No ' rattlers' where I am .

HS

Stunning work!

Great knife sheath. It's rattlesnake country where I live but l haven't stumbled on to one in several years and the last was a tiny one with one button, not even big enough for a hat band, so it got to live. We have been in drouth conditions for over 20 years here and all the wild life has suffered and I suppose snakes are included.

I wear cowboy hats and have wanted a rattlesnake skin hat band for years but never having found the right size in the wild and being too cheap to purchase a skin and certainly a ready made one I am still without.

5 hours ago, Handstitched said:

So love that :thumbsup: I also love the ' embellishments' on your machine  :) No ' rattlers' where I am .

HS

Maybe you have no rattlers but some of the snakes you do have , have stunning skins, they would make awesome sheaths:yes:

13 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

Maybe you have no rattlers but some of the snakes you do have , have stunning skins, they would make awesome sheaths:yes:

I really should give them a try  . The are available here in Oz.   I guess I just haven't given them much thought .  I do have some fish skins  that someone gave me , but nowhere near as nice as snake.  I've only used Cane Toad.  A Cane Toad skin sheath perhaps. They do have a nice texture.

HS

On 4/10/2023 at 1:53 AM, Handstitched said:

I really should give them a try  . The are available here in Oz.   I guess I just haven't given them much thought .  I do have some fish skins  that someone gave me , but nowhere near as nice as snake.  I've only used Cane Toad.  A Cane Toad skin sheath perhaps. They do have a nice texture.

HS

Got some African bullfrog I whipped up a couple weeks ago. Think I got some cane toad here somewhere. 

E7F9D16E-ECCB-44E8-B848-8B66B314B262.jpeg

7CE1D1EA-7347-4B4A-BABF-2159D0084BB2.jpeg

5FC78532-ED8E-44D5-8944-AD93BBCEC81D.jpeg

A8E38CD7-B9D6-4CEE-9A13-8A739E0704BF.jpeg

F14B11AF-4E07-460E-BDAE-188CDE599BA1.jpeg

2B13719C-DD69-4D3B-A19C-8898FC8BA044.jpeg

EEA80491-DD7F-48E2-9AC8-BD5321344FD9.jpeg

They are excellent :specool:  The texture in the first pic is identical to Cane Toad. They can also come in different colours too. But they ain't cheap . The tanning process is different to other leathers apparently,  to remove all of the toxins . 

I have to admit, you're giving me inspiration  and motivation :yes:

Well done  :) 

HS