Garyak

American snapping turtle holster

I may have posted this here when I finished it some time ago. Sorry about that, but this is about it coming back too visit this weekend with the owner. I’ve been making a few things here and there and no matter how long I’ve been doing this, I never ever get bored or tired of the craft Because of stuff like this. Old dude was out and about early on a beautiful Sunday grinning ear to ear and retelling all compliments he had gotten at the gun show. It’s so cool to know people think you have some magical power and consider something you made a valuable possession. When I’m long gone from here, I’ll have done my job and left people wondering… who in the heck made this…. 

7A81EC67-B516-492F-8AD9-CA93BF602900.jpeg

515C8864-EAB2-494D-B949-CBCB00AA33FD.jpeg

B175C9F4-70CC-4125-A2D6-8E8966A66748.jpeg

354259C4-37F7-45F4-91A7-5552F5D62E03.jpeg

Still looking sharp.  Exquisite!

Very cool!! Where did you get the turtle hide? Tan it yourself? Is it all turtle?

Edited by DaveP

3 hours ago, DaveP said:

Very cool!! Where did you get the turtle hide? Tan it yourself? Is it all turtle?

Don’t have the phone# handy, but check out the fb group snapping turtle leather company group. Contact info is there. You’ll speak with either Scott or Jill. Tell’em Gary sent ya. They’re proud of it, no doubt, but it all comes back in the end. 

This is my first time to see it. All I can say is WOW, that's unusual and very nice.

I'm having a problem with the snapping turtle guy.

I ordered a Buckskin hide, he sent me a green hide. I emailed and he said he'd make it right but now I haven't heard from him in 4 days. No refund and no new hide on the way like he said he'd do.. I'll wait another day to see if he responds then neg review

Wow, very sharp looking!  Well done!

47 minutes ago, Bert03241 said:

I ordered a Buckskin hide, he sent me a green hide. I emailed and he said he'd make it right but now I haven't heard from him in 4 days. No refund and no new hide on the way like he said he'd do.. I'll wait another day to see if he responds then neg review

He’ll get it right bro, so far the only gripe I have is not throwing me a bone, a scrap, anything. Don’t want something for nothing, but I’ve spent a lot of funds with them, and sent A LOT of business their way. They use my work at the shows, along with others, which is way cool. At least let me stay awake late on a week night. Ha! He’ll get you right. I have heard that they were out of the extra jumbo tails and waiting for a big enough load to ship to the tannery. Have you tried the crust? Only way to go for me. I always get crust in everything if available. 

86B43A40-5B85-47A9-8000-748F019B7541.jpeg

BF47A1EE-73C4-4C07-A9A3-3AB6C6774668.jpeg

F4E487FB-6B1E-4FD1-96A5-C606D008A7D3.jpeg

That is just phenomenal.  I know it's way beyond anything I could ever hope to achieve.

/dwight

3 hours ago, Garyak said:

He’ll get it right bro, so far the only gripe I have is not throwing me a bone, a scrap, anything. Don’t want something for nothing, but I’ve spent a lot of funds with them, and sent A LOT of business their way. They use my work at the shows, along with others, which is way cool. At least let me stay awake late on a week night. Ha! He’ll get you right. I have heard that they were out of the extra jumbo tails and waiting for a big enough load to ship to the tannery. Have you tried the crust? Only way to go for me. I always get crust in everything if available. 

86B43A40-5B85-47A9-8000-748F019B7541.jpeg

BF47A1EE-73C4-4C07-A9A3-3AB6C6774668.jpeg

F4E487FB-6B1E-4FD1-96A5-C606D008A7D3.jpeg

whats the crust??

very very cool love it.

12 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

whats the crust??

It’s a white bleached out skin that’s tanned in a way it’s ready to take dye. You color it yourself. I’ll buy dyed skins if I have too, but even then if it’s a funky color, I’ll dye it anyway, unless it’s got a super waxy finish. At least tint what’s there. Crust- undyed skin, or hide. Don’t know about pelts. Canebrake rattlesnake crust.  

EE24B0FC-CA02-4F34-B787-CA9A12521786.jpeg

On 5/2/2023 at 6:20 PM, Bert03241 said:

Well the snapping turtle guy came thru. Got my buckskin and a return label . Its just he doesn't let you know whats going on. :blink:

On 5/3/2023 at 10:52 AM, Garyak said:

It’s a white bleached out skin that’s tanned in a way it’s ready to take dye. You color it yourself. I’ll buy dyed skins if I have too, but even then if it’s a funky color, I’ll dye it anyway, unless it’s got a super waxy finish. At least tint what’s there. Crust- undyed skin, or hide. Don’t know about pelts. Canebrake rattlesnake crust.  

EE24B0FC-CA02-4F34-B787-CA9A12521786.jpeg

Thanks for the explanation

Love it, that holster is over the top!

3 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

Well the snapping turtle guy came thru. Got my buckskin and a return label . Its just he doesn't let you know whats going on. :blink:

Thanks for the explanation

You got it bud. I know what you mean about ordering stuff. I get my exotic from a fella that does cash only. Not even a fb. Cash in an envelope, package will come. First time I mailed out an envelope full of cash across country to someone I never met…. I waved goodbye and had faith in my fellow man. He didn’t disappoint…