WalterF

Back At It

I have been away from leather for about a year and a half. I was not tired of it, but had other things come up. 

These are my first three pieces, with the last being the figure carving. The results pleased me, I thought it was going to take me longer. 

The pieces are for a notebook cover for me, the figure carving will be on the inside front flap (sleeve), the basket weave will be the spine, and diamond will be the back cover.

Glad to be able to share again.

344537923_783079176558998_3274949398497069553_n.jpg

Nice work!  Looks like your hands and brain remembered the process well!

really like the wood grain on the carving piece.  Nicely done!

welcome back!!! I enjoy seeing  your work!

Nice work!  Glad you're back!

:thumbsup: on being back to work. I took about a 20 year break and started up again last winter. Talk about rusty and my slight essential tremors back when I quit have done exactly what I was told they would do. They have gotten worse, much worse. With the help of a little pill and taking my time I have gotten rid of most of the rust and am enjoying my hobby again.

27 minutes ago, doubleh said:

With the help of a little pill

What is the pill?  I tried one prescription propranolol  and in 3 days, anything that was red in colour would move around and even disappear.  Side effect is eye damage.  Stopped taking it, and in 3 more days my eyesight returned to normal.  Would sure like to find something safe that works for me.

11 hours ago, DJole said:

Nice work!  Looks like your hands and brain remembered the process well!

Thank you, sat in their a while after cleaning the area just looking at the tools. Forgot some of the names, slowly coming back. It was just like riding a motorcycle hop on and open her up.

2 hours ago, PastorBob said:

really like the wood grain on the carving piece.  Nicely done!

Thank you, the wood grain was fun. Used a different technique than have used in the past.

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

welcome back!!! I enjoy seeing  your work!

Thank you, it is good to be back.

1 hour ago, BruceGibson said:

Nice work!  Glad you're back!

Thank you, nice to be able to share again.

29 minutes ago, doubleh said:

:thumbsup: on being back to work. I took about a 20 year break and started up again last winter. Talk about rusty and my slight essential tremors back when I quit have done exactly what I was told they would do. They have gotten worse, much worse. With the help of a little pill and taking my time I have gotten rid of most of the rust and am enjoying my hobby again.

Wow that is a long time, getting older is not for sissies. It is funny we spend our youth earning money, then when we are older we spend it on our health. Glad to hear you are able to manage your condition better.

23 minutes ago, Northmount said:

What is the pill?  I tried one prescription propranolol  and in 3 days, anything that was red in colour would move around and even disappear.  Side effect is eye damage.  Stopped taking it, and in 3 more days my eyesight returned to normal.  Would sure like to find something safe that works for me.

Primidone. It has been around for a verry long time and has few side effects but one of them you do not want if your are relatively young if you get my drift. My neurologist told me there only two drugs that will combat the tremors, both of which are the ones mentioned here. Propranolol slows your heart rate and since mine is already slow it's a no-no. There may have been a new drug come on the market but I haven't been told of one at my annual checkups. Primidone is dirt cheap and works pretty well for me so I am happy with it.

Time gets away and I should have said winter before last in my original post. Here is a picture of a belt I made for my tom boy oldest great grand daughter for her birthday that year. The different flowers are deliberate.

93RMSuJh.jpg

Fast forward three months and one for the next in line with blue eyes, hense the blue background. Her name is Bentley and when I found the Montana Silversmiths buckle it had to go on it. I had lost a little more rust.

aX7BDyxh.jpg

Edited by doubleh

4 hours ago, doubleh said:

Time gets away and I should have said winter before last in my original post. Here is a picture of a belt I made for my tom boy oldest great grand daughter for her birthday that year. The different flowers are deliberate.

93RMSuJh.jpg

Fast forward three months and one for the next in line with blue eyes, hense the blue background. Her name is Bentley and when I found the Montana Silversmiths buckle it had to go on it. I had lost a little more rust.

aX7BDyxh.jpg

That is very nice, bet he loved it.

Really like Walt , the details are awesome !

18 hours ago, WalterF said:

That is very nice, bet he loved it.

She, not he for both. Thanks for the compliment.

This morning was able to finish the Front cover (Bronc Busting). It is still drying out and should lighten up the same as the back cover (bottom left).

Will Tan-Cote them and start assembly. Pretty excited to see it together. Gini thinks it needs to be hand stitched, would be easier with a machine. The marks ever so slight would detract from it, so she is right again.

The leathers are different tones because the front and back cover are Herman Oak (love) and lighter are Tandy. Tandy was on sale for a real good price and carves well so purchased a number if sides.

344590474_280605577634698_7363879803977810498_n.jpg

Lookin good so far:thumbsup:

+awesome work nice job:You_Rock_Emoticon:

18 minutes ago, Bert03241 said:

+awesome work nice job:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Thank you

28 minutes ago, Bert03241 said:

Lookin good so far:thumbsup:

In the home stretch now glued up and hand sewing next. Thank you

Finished the cover this morning, now to start using it and letting it ag and add character.

Open Inside Finished.jpg

Cover Pront Open Finished.jpg

That's cool, I was curious to see how the sections were gonna be combined into final notebook cover.  I like it.  I want to make (at some point) a leather cover for my range book when I've working out reloading powder charges.  Something along these lines would work well. 

2 hours ago, Littlef said:

That's cool, I was curious to see how the sections were gonna be combined into final notebook cover.  I like it.  I want to make (at some point) a leather cover for my range book when I've working out reloading powder charges.  Something along these lines would work well. 

Thank you. That will be nice on your range book. I am not into reloading anymore, had a 110 yard range in my back yard in Alabama. Don't really care for shooting ranges. My book is still within 10 feet of me. Don't have the heart to get rid of it.

This is a photo with the notebook in.

344766393_6703976026288595_2784204439443879051_n.jpg

4 hours ago, WalterF said:

Thank you. That will be nice on your range book. I am not into reloading anymore, had a 110 yard range in my back yard in Alabama. Don't really care for shooting ranges. My book is still within 10 feet of me. Don't have the heart to get rid of it.

This is a photo with the notebook in.

344766393_6703976026288595_2784204439443879051_n.jpg

I like it! that's good stuff.

Very nice indeed..

Cowhand on right side has his Bull Durham sack!

Great job for publishing such a beneficial post. it is really creative too. There tend to be not many people who can certainly write not so simple posts that artistically. Continue the amazing work

Edited by Northmount
removed spam link