Ornyal

Some projects I've completed so far

Hi !

Just found this place, I'll share my project but since attachment size is limited, I'll kind of spam this thread, sorry for the multiple posts !

Also, I will probably not post all the details regarding the projects but feel free to point one out and ask for more info regarding the leather / technique / tools or whatever comes to mind !

Let's start easy with my first ever project : a simple leather watchstrap for my little seiko 5.

Cheers,

premier_watchstrap_1.jpg

premier_watchstrap_2.jpg

And here are:

A pair of baby shoes for my nephew

Baby-shoes_1.jpeg

Edited by Ornyal

Below are

- a simple sheath for my opinel, leather was veg-tan, no dye, but the patina developed very well

- a simple bifold for a friend

- some sort of watchstrap but instead of the watch I put a magnet inside so it can hold the sewing pins of my wife

bernie_1.jpg

basic-sheath_1.jpg

bracelet_couture_1.jpg

bracelet_couture_2.jpg

A prototype watchstrap with a middle piece. I definitely need better punches

bracelettroubleu1.jpeg

bracelettroubleu2.jpeg

bracelettroubleu3.jpeg

A camera case (again, for my wife)

camera_case_1.jpg

camera_case_2.jpg

Some more cardholders...

cardholder_black_1.jpg

cardholder_horse_1.jpg

cardholder_horse_2.jpg

cardholder_lined_1.jpg

Again... A cardholder!

cardholder_stage_0.jpg

cardholder_stage_1.jpg

cardholder_stage_2.jpg

A couple cases and a couple belts!

case_bene_1.jpg

Ceinture_double_1.jpeg

Ceinture_double_2.jpeg

cf5fd9de-0ab5-400f-bed0-3fc71fd217e3.jpg

A small coinholder on which I tried spanish stitching

coinpouch_1.jpg

porte-monnaie_perso_1.jpg

A few combos!

coimbo_1.jpg

combo_1.jpg

combo_2.jpg

A cardholder and a green watchstrap (guess who I gifted it to haha)

f8867807-9243-4a8d-b7ea-ed02f2141c62.jpg

larfeuill-lolo-2.jpg

montre_mama_1.jpeg

montre_mama_2.jpg

A belt, all natural, a watchstrap with ostrich leather, and a passport cover for a dear friend of mine.

Natural_Belt_1.jpeg

Ostrich_strap_1.jpeg

passport1.jpeg

Passport2.jpeg

Passport3.jpeg

Small wallets and a pin cushion for my sister!

patit-maman_2.jpeg

petit-_lolo_1.jpeg

petit-_lolo_2.jpeg

petit-maman_1.jpeg

Pin-cushuion_1.jpeg

Another small wallet made out of horse strips.

porte_monnaiz-cheval_1.jpg

porte_monnaiz-cheval_2.jpg

porte_monnaiz-cheval_3.jpg

A case I made for the engagement ring (it slides in/out). Very simple, all natural vegtan leather.

Propose_1.jpg

Bright red handbag for my wife!

sac_mama_1.jpg

sac_mama_2.jpg

sac_mama_3.jpg

Green handbag for my sister.

Sac-loulou-1.jpg

sac-loulou-2.jpg

sac-loulou-3.jpg

Another couple of small items

small_cardholder_2.jpg

small_case-1.jpg

watchstrap_black_1.jpg

Some more watchstrap, the greenish one is made out of cordovan.

watchstrap_class_1.jpg

watchstrap_cordovan_1.jpg

watchstrap_cordovan_2.jpg

watchstrap_doublerang_1.jpg

watchstrap_marron_1.jpg

watchstrap_marron_2.jpg

Aaaand more watchstraps!

watchstrap_patina_1.jpg

watchstrap-bleu-1.jpg

watchstrap-bleu-2.jpg

Any review or advice is of course welcome !

So far I've mostly been gifting my crafts, but some people have asked to buy and I hope to sell more in the future, although I'm really bad at selling my stuff.

Beautiful work, very clean and sleek designs, edges, stitching. Love that camera case!

Once you get selling it becomes more comfortable. Try Etsy, or maybe you might enjoy more in person local selling.

Welcome to the forum :-)

Your stuff looks really good.

I especially like the camera bag and the red and green bag for your wife and sister.

Brgds

Jonas

Very fine work. Good choices all around. I agree on the purses. They're beautiful. Thanks for sharing your work with us. And welcome to the forum.

Looks like you've been busy.  You do beautiful work.

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback.

@MarshalWill, I took a look at your project and your holsters are looking very neat too, your tooling really enhances the lines.

I realize that I've been busy sharing my pictures but I haven't credited the wonderful pattern creators that helped me along the builds. I mostly do my own pattern, but for more complex objects such as the purses and the camera case, I bought patterns from more experience crafters so I don't have much merit on them haha

• Red purse is a pattern from etsy unfortunately the store closed and I can't find the name
  • Green purse is a pattern from DieselPunkRo
  • Camera case is a pattern from LeatherHub, but I believe he no longer sells it.

Sorry for the misleading pictures, I'll be more careful to mention the due credits in my next posts!

Edited by Ornyal

Any pics?

J/K lol. Everything looks great! Really like the camera case and the wallets. Clean work.....

Ok I'm understanding that you want to open up your own shop, you have some pretty decent shhtuff there. From this point on when you construct an item and you are happy with it - make 7 to 10 more and store them in a dry place. I'm sure you have a crafts fair somewhere around you. When it comes around in the spring you will be loaded for bear! Wallets, belts ready to size, coin holders, quick purses, key rings (like 5 different totaling 45 pieces), straps 18 inches in length, and what ever else you can think of. In six months you can have a carload of sellable items. Most importantly - do not undersell your items!!! You ain't Walmarts! 

5 hours ago, Ornyal said:

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback.

@MarshalWill, I took a look at your project and your holsters are looking very neat too, your tooling really enhances the lines.

Thanks but I don't recall posting anything that's tooled. Maybe I did it a number of years ago when I first signed up. I haven't figured out how to see what I posted to back then.

Nice work. Welcome to the forum!

12 hours ago, Ornyal said:

Some more watchstrap, the greenish one is made out of cordovan.

watchstrap_class_1.jpg

watchstrap_cordovan_1.jpg

watchstrap_cordovan_2.jpg

watchstrap_doublerang_1.jpg

watchstrap_marron_1.jpg

watchstrap_marron_2.jpg

Aaaand more watchstraps!

watchstrap_patina_1.jpg

watchstrap-bleu-1.jpg

watchstrap-bleu-2.jpg

The watch strap with the 3 rows of stitching is most impressive 

Thank you all for your warm welcome and positive feedback!

@MarshalWill: I indeed went to your profile > activity > filtered through "topics" and found your first topic with the holster pictures here

@Doc Reaper : that's some solid advice. I keep all my patterns in tagged envelopes so I could indeed do more of the stuff I liked!

@Simplejack1985: thanks! I see room for improvement (sides stitch lines could be closer to the edge for instance), but it had been in my mind for a while when I made it, and overall it came out nice.

First of all, your pieces are beautiful and good enough for selling. But I wonder whether a general crafts fair, or even Etsy, is the best option. You seem to like making watch straps and I think they'll sell much better in places where watch lovers gather (real or virtual). Watch lovers think nothing about enhancing their € 1000 watch with a € 50 strap. Normal people think: "So much money for such a little thing? Are you crazy?"

It's probably the same for lovers of handbags or wallets, but I have no idea who they are  ;)

Hi Klara,

You are right indeed, I'm part of an online forum for whatches amateurs, and I share my work there, so people contact me for custom straps from time to time, I hope it catches from word of mouth and grows enough that I can focus more on this activity!

All of the work looks very nice and it is clear you are having fun!  I made a watch strap for an old Seiko that I purchased when I was in college way back in 1981, I think.  Hard to believe, but it is still working!  Zero maintenance and not much wear over the years, but just a little shake and presto!  

That Seiko 5 is a great watch.  It deserves a nice leather strap!

Your stitching looks very tidy on most of your work and I would say is even better than some handmade straps I see advertised for sale online.  

Keep having fun and keep us in the loop as you come up with new stuff!

Yeah, I'm very pleased with this little Seiko 5 too, it's discrete, functional and I not afraid of a trip in the wild. Thank you for the encouragement, I'll keep you posted !