Adonis

Leather Sap 8.5" impact device, Slapjacks, sap, blackjack, Paper weight

The Leather SAP Slapjack or paperweight, bookweight is a device measuring 8 1/2" long and weighing 547 grams making it a nice paperweight or bookweight. You can use it simply as paper or book weight, or decide like many people to carry one in your vehicle, pocket, or purse.

The leather used: WATER BUFFALO Veg-tanned Shoulder with a beautiful grain brought out by infused waxes and oils.

► 4 Layers of Premium full-grain WATER BUFFALO Veg-tanned Shoulder
► - 2 layers of 5 – 6 oz (2.0 – 2.4 mm)
► - 2 layers of 3 – 4 oz (1.2 - 1.6 mm)

► Length 8. 1/2"

► Weight 547 Grams
► Head width 2 3/4"

0820af_56d2e3de4f6d4c71b1712bd981bbd962~0820af_3b598bca4cdb4d5b97a76f5dd602b55d~

0820af_41a2e5f085c34c6780a81f39c8b87bbe~

0820af_00414d40abbb4f7e8348920fc795bff3~

https://www.adonisleather.com/product-page/leather-sap-7-5-impact-device-slapjacks-sap-blackjack-paper-weight

Very nice. I'm working on something similar now. I'm on 3rd attempt with first two in the scrap pile. Lol thanks for sharing. 

I remember seeing them in cartoons 50 years ago ,i didn't realize they actually existed or what they were called . now i want one . I could have used it on a shop lifter yesterday .Instead i cracked him in the head with the heel of a boot i was repairing at the time .

3 hours ago, Tastech said:

I could have used it on a shop lifter yesterday .Instead i cracked him in the head with the heel of a boot i was repairing at the time .

That should leave a reminder particularly if the boot had a metal heel plate.

kgg

Be aware that these are illegal in MANY jurisdictions. I would check before carrying one around.

28 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

Be aware that these are illegal in MANY jurisdictions. I would check before carrying one around.

i agree they are considered a deadly weapon, a boot is considered a boot.

1 hour ago, tsunkasapa said:

Be aware that these are illegal in MANY jurisdictions.

These depend on the laws of the Country/ State or Province and maybe illegal no matter how they are dressed up to look like or function as something else. Check your laws before carrying one. The best is an improvised weapon like a good old fashion H2 pencil.

kgg

Edited by kgg

13 hours ago, Tastech said:

I remember seeing them in cartoons 50 years ago ,i didn't realize they actually existed or what they were called . now i want one . I could have used it on a shop lifter yesterday .Instead i cracked him in the head with the heel of a boot i was repairing at the time .

Here in SA I can guarantee you would be arrested if you had one.

8 hours ago, dikman said:

Here in SA I can guarantee you would be arrested if you had one.

I think i would be charged for  it here in Canberra as well , But then again our cops are useless these days . Given that at any one time i have in my apron a couple of knives an awl and a cobblers hammer, Getting black jacked could be considered the lenient  option .  45 years ago while working as a paper boy on a street corner i would carry my coins in a sock that i could swing around to deter anyone who thought i might be an easy mark .With the coins in the sock you could argue plausible deniability however with a black jack maybe not ,as it does not have a duel purpose. But having said that  how much damage could a black jack actually do ? Apart from stunning someone i don't think you could kill someone with it unless you were a blackjack ninja. I am going to do a bit of research and ask some of my police customers what their thoughts are . 

BTW the same shoplifter/druggo stole the tip jar from the cafe next door earlier in the week . I have printed out a still photo of him from the security footage  and turned it into a wanted poster and put in up in the arcade . I await his next move . 

An Update . After a bit if internet research i learned some interesting things   Saps and black jacks are available for sale from Amazon , Etsy and Ebay . Patterns are also available . I found an article that gives a general rundown of different types from different makers .article below

https://www.recoilweb.com/striking-distance-143325.html

Upon searching the legality of such things in Australia  i came across a list of illegal items but the blackjack is not specifically listed . this is the closest reference i could find 

• "Sap glove, or any other similar article, that consists of a glove (including a fingerless glove) that has a layer of powdered lead sewn under the outer covering and positioned over the knuckle area on the back of the glove.

US members might find the web page where i got this quote very interesting . Some might die laughing and some might cry . Keep in mind in Australia we have nothing resembling the second amendment rights of the US.  We have had to master the art of bare knuckle fighting instead . However i am still attracted to the idea of a black jack to even the odds . I would love to hear what the US members think of these laws 

The laws are in the link below 

https://www.criminaldefencelawyers.com.au/blog/weapons-licensing-laws-in-australia/

I did an image search for the cartoon /comic character with a striped shirt and black mask holding a black jack but nothing came up.

4 hours ago, Tastech said:

t  how much damage could a black jack actually do ? Apart from stunning someone i don't think you could kill someone with it unless you were a blackjack ninja. I am going to do a bit of research and ask some of my police customers what their thoughts are . 

oh yes you can they are illegal because its very easy to kill some one with one. your whacking the thing that holds their grey matter. a decent roundhouse to the temple area and they are toast. When you get one done try it out on a melon or some such you will be surprised at the power.

Just so all of you are clear, using one in self defense is acceptable if the attacker dies, leave him and play the "catch me - screw me" game

Im all for self preservation 

1. in the UK these are known as a 'cosh'.   I don't think anyone uses them here anymore, they prefer base-ball bats

2. They may or may not be illegal here. It may be the context in which it is going to be used. I know some farmers have a version for stunning animals before slaughter. They are so unknown that I reckon I could walk down any street in N.I. carrying one and no plod would recognise it and stop me 

3. When I did a lot of out-door photography, as did some friends, we used to carry an old cheap but heavy USSR camera in its case. It was useless for photos but more than once a potential thief felt that camera across their skull

4. we do have self-defence laws but it draws the line at killing anyone Only 'reasonable' force may be used

5. In the bad old days of our civil disorder the old police force, the Royal Ulster Constabulary  used two versions of a 'sap' on rioters. One was an egg shape on a short piece of spring steel, the other was a short long thin tube shape attached to a wood handle. One for close up and one for long-reach. When the police had to give these up they changed to 'knuckle-duster' gloves

There's an old saying don't put anything in your hand that wont fit up your .... if it gets taken. If you carry it you better learn how to use it.  

Just so ya all are clear in the US it depends now on who you hit, who you are, and most importantly how good a lawyer you can buy. Justice has nothing to do with it and yes prison sucks. I believe in self defense but I also have seen firsthand decent people in prison for protecting themselves. 

Back in the day the prison guards would use them but now they have much better ways to deal with bad behavior.;)

5 hours ago, fredk said:

4. we do have self-defence laws but it draws the line at killing anyone Only 'reasonable' force may be used

5. In the bad old days of our civil disorder the old police force, the Royal Ulster Constabulary  used two versions of a 'sap' on rioters. One was an egg shape on a short piece of spring steel, the other was a short long thin tube shape attached to a wood handle. One for close up and one for long-reach. When the police had to give these up they changed to 'knuckle-duster' gloves

Growing up the guys of the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary who walked a bet use to carry a Billy Knocker as well as a slap. The dirt bags use to make what we called Black Jacks by running 3/8 chain through a 4 inch length of copper pipe that was filled with lead and attaching it to another 4 inch of copper pipe also lead filled to form a "T". The Black Jacks could be used as a slap or held in the palm the same way a roll pennies could be used.  I don't know which I would rather be on the receiving end, one good strike and it's lights out.

We that said if you are defending oneself I still think it would be better to be judged by twelve then carried by six.

kgg

Think about it, if your in range to hit someone on the head or body, you are to dam close, a heavy walking stick would be a far better item, nobody states it must be wood

On 10/1/2023 at 7:15 AM, chuck123wapati said:

oh yes you can they are illegal because its very easy to kill some one with one. your whacking the thing that holds their grey matter. a decent roundhouse to the temple area and they are toast. When you get one done try it out on a melon or some such you will be surprised at the power.

Very true. But it's not just the impact of the sap. It's the impact of the whatever they hit on the way to the ground...including the ground!