Well this turned out kind of clunky, but it's the best I could come up with for this blade. My first sheath, for my niece the archeologist.  She does underground imaging of old and new objects and sometimes bushwhacks her way to work.  I sharpened the blade so she will also be ready for a zombie apocalypse.  

untitled-1.thumb.jpg.2894346dcfae0c59314a5afa215404cf.jpg

untitled-5.thumb.jpg.7ca3781a6311642ca877b16b95deaf24.jpg

untitled-7.thumb.jpg.f7ebd53871a948cd92d2f115c911258f.jpg

untitled-8.thumb.jpg.e7cc3db8490e40ae98c2c5e30b828d52.jpg

Edited by TomE

Very nice work!

Looks very practical and considering it's probably going to get the stuffing knocked out of it in use should be more than adequate.

Looks great! Nice work. Should last her for years. 

yep job well done, she'll love it.:yes:

I see no clunkage. Looks great!

4 hours ago, TomE said:

and sometimes bushwhacks her way to work

Heck of a commute!

Very nice work too, I'm sure it will last.

That looks very good!

3 hours ago, TXBob said:

Very nice work!

3 hours ago, dikman said:

Looks very practical and considering it's probably going to get the stuffing knocked out of it in use should be more than adequate.

3 hours ago, DieselTech said:

Looks great! Nice work. Should last her for years. 

1 hour ago, Bert03241 said:

yep job well done, she'll love it.:yes:

1 hour ago, BigBore said:

I see no clunkage. Looks great!

10 minutes ago, bladegrinder said:

That looks very good!

Thank you all for your kind comments.  My neice says she uses the machete often and the sheath will keep her safer than the nylon cover she had been using.  She ties the machete to her pack when not in use.

I love machetes and have several. A couple of my sheaths look crappie  but I had to put something on the blade because I'm accident prone. I like yours better than mine. 

Lately I picked up some cheap 4/5 suede and made a bunch of sheaths to get me by until I can make something better. 

My idea would be to put mole style  straps down the back side si I can strap it to my pack down the length? I'm still trying to brain storm on the subject. 

I have a lot of ideas that I haven't master yet but yours looks great !

Now if it were saddle tan . . . full basket weave . . . with maple leaves . . . antiqued . . . 

Just kidding . . . it's great the way it is . . . and I'm much more into practical leather anyway . . . and that certainly will meet that requirement.

May God bless,

Dwight

3 hours ago, Thadrick said:

I love machetes and have several. A couple of my sheaths look crappie  but I had to put something on the blade because I'm accident prone. I like yours better than mine. 

Lately I picked up some cheap 4/5 suede and made a bunch of sheaths to get me by until I can make something better. 

My idea would be to put mole style  straps down the back side si I can strap it to my pack down the length? I'm still trying to brain storm on the subject. 

I have a lot of ideas that I haven't master yet but yours looks great !

Thanks.  I think I should have added more attachment points for a pack because my niece won't be wearing this from her belt.

2 hours ago, Dwight said:

Now if it were saddle tan . . . full basket weave . . . with maple leaves . . . antiqued . . . 

Just kidding . . . it's great the way it is . . . and I'm much more into practical leather anyway . . . and that certainly will meet that requirement.

May God bless,

Dwight

I have avoided leather tooling since returning to the craft, although my Tandy tools from the 1970s are sitting in my shop.  Was never very good at it and decided to instead focus on cutting and sewing for a while.  This sheath is made from the leftover belly of a bridle side.  The machete and sheath only recently arrived at my niece's house, a full month after mailing the package.  The Saint Louis mail sorting facility swallowed the package for a few weeks.  Then there was a problem with the zip code at the destination and it took several weeks to reroute the package to a neighboring post office.  All's well that ends well.  

Yeah, The one I built with a belt loop didnt make me happy. I put it on a walked around the house and almost every step it stabbed me in the calf.  Im sure if I was outbacking it sooner or later it would trip me up. 

On 3/10/2024 at 7:31 PM, Thadrick said:

If you have Molle 'holes?' on your pack, you could cut corresponding holes and weave the straps in and out, like it was meant to be that way...

On 2/4/2024 at 3:58 PM, TomE said:

Well this turned out kind of clunky, but it's the best I could come up with for this blade.

It looks kind of like a nata blade (to me). Love the sheath, no clunky in there at all!