Found an old belt that got stuck behind something. These days I look at worn out belts and think "Hardware!" but in this instance I paid attention to the snaps holding the keeper and buckle flap in place. Last year I had bought some cheap snaps, and when I used them on a belt, the rims on the inside part of the post and socket created a gap. These snaps didn't. They're segma type snaps, but sit perfectly flush. The socket doesn't even have a rim, just a series of splits in the side to hold the socket in place, with the post fitting inside, maybe all the way into the cap. The belt snaps were also smaller diameter than I remember.

Is is possible to find a snap that allows a flush fit? The segma line snaps at Tandy seem to have a thin rim. Would that give the same flush fit?

I think this is what you are looking for. They have a couple different styles. Just make sure the post lengths are sufficient. 

phpJ2i3syAM.jpg

Belts can get pressure applied to them . . . and snaps can come apart.

I quit using snaps on belts some 20 years ago . . . I only use Chicago Screws now

With a dab of blue locktite or fingernail polish . . . they do not come loose.

Only way I go now.

May God bless,

Dwight

I'm also with Dwight on this one. I only use chicago screws on my belts. 

Also you can get designer Chicago screws. Flower shapes, starburst shapes, sunflower shapes if you want some more flair. 

Another vote for Chicago Screws. Far superior to snaps.

Ditto on the Chicago screws 

Thanks, all. I hadn't considered Chicago screws. The whole point of snaps is to allow changing the buckle, and Chicago screws would do that just fine. Last year I first used rivets, but was getting dye from somewhere in the buckle end and ended up boring them out and dunking in M&G. Went back with snaps.

I did have a problem with the snaps coming loose, but attributed it to them being cheap snaps. Ended up fiddling with the wire in the socket that grabs the stud and that helped. 

3 hours ago, Gosut said:

Thanks, all. I hadn't considered Chicago screws. The whole point of snaps is to allow changing the buckle, and Chicago screws would do that just fine. Last year I first used rivets, but was getting dye from somewhere in the buckle end and ended up boring them out and dunking in M&G. Went back with snaps.

I did have a problem with the snaps coming loose, but attributed it to them being cheap snaps. Ended up fiddling with the wire in the socket that grabs the stud and that helped. 

If you are dead set on using snaps . . . there are "one way" snaps available.  

You would put them on so that you would have to separate the two pieces of leather starting at the buckle and working your way back.

Pulling on the end would not allow the snap to come undone . . . and while I very seldom use them . . . I do have them . . . and they do work.

May God bless,

Dwight

I was going to take a photo of the snaps on the old belt, then found them on the Tandy Leather site. Their Segma snaps are exactly the same. Weaver Leather Supply has a similar Segma snap. Not trying to make any converts here, just pointing them out for anyone curious to what was on that old belt.

I like the idea of Chicago screws. It would serve the same purpose of allowing to change the buckle.

It's perhaps worth noting that I can only find snaps on my oldest belts. The later ones sew the flap down.