Shorts

Anyone Give You The Look Of Horror...

This past week I traveled back home for a little vacation time to relax. I bumped into a few parents of friends at church and as we were catching up the conversation turns to "What are you doing now?" As I tell them I see their face contort to a look of horror and question as they try to remain understanding and supportive. This wasn't the first time this happened and I don't suspect it will be the last. I find it somewhat humorous as people are faced with the conundrum of "guns are bad!" and "she's a nice person".

Had any similar moments?

Thats funny and sad at the same time Monica.... I can't understand it. Wonder what they would have said if you told them that you "own your own business and that you build functional leather "safety equipment" for Law Enforcement and other professionals"? Guns are tools and leather work is an art form (especially when done to the level I routinely see shown on these pages by yourself and many others). Where is the "shame" in handcrafting stylish, functional and well built holsters and accessories?

I am a full time LEO and I am my department's Range Master/Lead Firearms Instructor and in charge of our armory. Everyone who knows me knows that "guns" are a part of my life, my job and my hobbies. When I tell them that I also make holsters most find it interesting and I get alot of "well that makes sense" types of comments. I don't follow the train of thought that would make my holster making hobby any more odd if I had another career... School teacher or the like.

If these folks want to feel better about themselves and live in a dreamworld by thinking that "guns are bad", then they obviously have never had the need for one and have no perspective of what the "real world" is.

(Soap box Rant Mode: OFF)

-Tac

I agree with Tac, myself I am in the military so guns are just a way of life both at work and off work. I find it sad that the general public in areas are like this.

Guns are neither good nor bad, they are a inanimate object. Now people can be good, bad, and ugly or a combination of the three.

In my personal experience anyone who finds out that I do leather work (usually when they see something I made) the first response is wow you made that, which is generally followed by can you make me this ...... . Half the time it is a holster they ask about as soon as they find out I make them occasionally. If I could make them as good as you do Shorts I probably wouldnt get to do anything else lol.

"THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH GUNS

GUNS DONT HURT PEOPLE....PEOPLE HURT PEOPLE..........

THATS MY STORY AND I'M STICKING TO IT....................

Edited by Luke Hatley

Well, you have to live in a community and own the local gun shop/gunsmith/hunting/fishing store. You have no idea how quickly you can become the black sheep of the community. I had a CC permit in MARYLAND for ghod sakes, driven snow was dirtier than I was. Local Leos knew I was ok, let me speed and everything, I always knew when the wife or kids got a ticket, even warnings (almost always warnings). Worst ones were the church folks. They just don't like firearms. You know, it never stopped them from coming into the shop when they needed something for the church or uniforms for the little league.

Art

This past week I traveled back home for a little vacation time to relax. I bumped into a few parents of friends at church and as we were catching up the conversation turns to "What are you doing now?" As I tell them I see their face contort to a look of horror and question as they try to remain understanding and supportive. This wasn't the first time this happened and I don't suspect it will be the last. I find it somewhat humorous as people are faced with the conundrum of "guns are bad!" and "she's a nice person".

Had any similar moments?

I was just a school kid when all that "gun control" stuff was going big. Saw a sign I never forgot ... "If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns".

Nuthin' wrong with a cold beer on a hot day, neither :)

Neither should be given to a fool, and not both on the same day. Other than that, yer good.

I'm a full time high school history teacher. Many of the people I work with are anti-gun. They don't understand why I make gun leather and do cowboy action shooting every weekend. In Tennessee it's legal to bring firearms into school for educational purposes. I take real pleasure in bringing in guns as often as possible for history class. We've even fired my flintlock and percussion Hawken's rifle on the football field. I'm greeted with horrified looks every time a bring a rifle case into the teachers' lounge. Those looks make my day!

I actually found it all odd but not really surprising. I'm from South Texas, where most guys are farmers and ranchers and hunting, guns and 4wds are the norm. There are lots of women who, although their men will do those things, they don't like it. The area in general is very conservative.

I'm sure there are some really antigun folks, to others it might just be a surprise that I do in fact like firearms and all the goes with them. I would venture to guess that I'm in a transition phase in life where I'm an adult and learning to live as my own person. I was there until I graduated college and got married. The time in between is a mystery to them as to who I've grown into.

A little while ago I started being diplomatic and gentle in explaining what I do, "I do leatherwork." But then they press, "Oh like vests and purses and stuff". So I had to say, "Well, no, more like pouches and belts and holsters. From there they say "Like for guns?". Me, "Yes." and I'd ramble on about our shooters group and judges and cops :evillaugh: Their reaction to that told me if they were truly interested or just being polite. The truly interested will give a story about someone they know with a gun and how they wanted to learn and if I could make them some for their friend/spouse/dad etc. The polite ones will say "Ohh! Wow. That's interesting. And how long have you been doing this?" :lol:

Anyway, I guess I'd been making note of introductions and exchanges. With guns being a volatile topic I find it a bit ornery that this straight laced girl will put that right out there by making it a legitimate pursuit. I hope it makes folks think twice about firearms and the people who own them.

Of course, at a lunch with a bunch of ladies, including the Pastor's wife, I did order a beer with my meal

Edited by Shorts

Hey, Shorts, . . . if they get real bad on you, . . . just tell em you know where there is a church that had at one time over 50% of the congregation that had their CHL's, . . . (a batch of new members diluted it down to about 33% or so now).

At least one of the elders carrys every day including during services, dinners, business meetings, . . . the pastor very rarely goes anywhere without his handgun (except during services, then he leaves that chore to the rest of the CHL's), . . . and they even hosted a CHL licensing class in their fellowship hall a few years back.

Yep, . . . that's the one I go to.

Hmmm, . . . now if I could just get em all to buy holsters, .....................

May God bless,

Dwight

Interesting topic, Shorts, and I've got my own little anecdote that pairs nicely with it.....but I won't hijack your thread!:)

I guess I'm just lucky in that my job has me away from home so much that I don't have a lot of really close friends. Anyway, when I'm home and my wife gets tired of me being in the way, she sends me down to the gun shop/range. It's my hangout, as well as my 'selling ground'. I've been introduced to quite a few judges, LEOs, and others. So, almost all my friends and acquaintances are part of the 'gun crowd'. When folks find out I make holsters, the next question is "Can you make one for _________", followed by, "How much?". I don't deal a lot with people that DON'T own guns.....like I said, lucky. And the neatest part about it is that in a gun store, where most people are carrying (concealed or otherwise), EVERYBODY IS NICE!

Also, since I am a firearm enthusiast, my political views, which shall not upon be ranted, tend to make me an unwelcome participant to the conversations of the non-enthusiasts. They generally just migrate away from me. :D..............either that or my deodorant gave out early :head_hurts_kr:

With over thirty years of building gun leather and such I am happy to report that in most parts of Texas there are more of us than them..... Life is good don't give it up without a fight.....

I've gotten a fair amount of those looks when I tell people what I'm going to pursue now that I'm home after I've had a real summer with my girls, most are less than enthusiastic. It's kind of amusing watching them scope out my waist for a bulge when they realize I am probably using some of my own work at that moment too :) Then they usually transition to a perplexed "But where is it?" expression...followed by the question "Are you...umm, you know, right now?" I always say "You tell me." and leave it at that.

Anyway, I guess I'd been making note of introductions and exchanges. With guns being a volatile topic I find it a bit ornery that this straight laced girl will put that right out there by making it a legitimate pursuit. I hope it makes folks think twice about firearms and the people who own them.

Of course, at a lunch with a bunch of ladies, including the Pastor's wife, I did order a beer with my meal

Monica... If I wasn't married, I would ask if you had a sister and what part of the Lone Star State would I have to move to in order to meet her..... wub.gif

Monica... If I wasn't married, I would ask if you had a sister and what part of the Lone Star State would I have to move to in order to meet her..... wub.gif

Two in fact- both married :P

When I lived in Georgia I felt very safe. If some maniac was going to start shooting people in the mall, several people would probably take aim and fire at the nut, I'm sure. The citizens (I don't want to use the term "rednecks", but you know what I mean!) grew up picking squirrels of off telephone lines. One day an odd man came into the Tandy. I knew there were at least six armed men in the store, one a retired GBI agent, a Marine, a hunter, two bikers and a cop. I threw the man out without worrying. Not knowing who is carrying is a deterrent to crime. We built holsters for .357s in little blue haired ladies' purses. Good luck raping grandma, punk! When I visit Texas, I get that same feeling. If I need help, a good samaritan will come to my aid, with a gun if needed. It's not like that here in Ohio. Only the bad guys seem to carry their guns around.

Johanna

When I lived in Georgia I felt very safe. If some maniac was going to start shooting people in the mall, several people would probably take aim and fire at the nut, I'm sure. The citizens (I don't want to use the term "rednecks", but you know what I mean!) grew up picking squirrels of off telephone lines. One day an odd man came into the Tandy. I knew there were at least six armed men in the store, one a retired GBI agent, a Marine, a hunter, two bikers and a cop. I threw the man out without worrying. Not knowing who is carrying is a deterrent to crime. We built holsters for .357s in little blue haired ladies' purses. Good luck raping grandma, punk! When I visit Texas, I get that same feeling. If I need help, a good samaritan will come to my aid, with a gun if needed. It's not like that here in Ohio. Only the bad guys seem to carry their guns around.

Johanna

We Buckeyes are just better at hiding them.

Johanna

Last count I heard was over 155,000 legal CHL's in Ohio, . . . which puts about 1761 in each of the 88 counties.

C'mon Johanna, . . ................................... cowboy.gifwave.gifyes.gif

May God bless,

Dwight

Most of the people in my life know of my interest in guns but it's always interesting when I run into a co-worker or somebody who doesn't know me that well and they see a full sized 1911 hanging off my hip (I often open carry). As of yet I've had zero negative responses.

Bronson

Johanna

Pardon my ignorance, but is Ohio one of the few states without concealed carry? I know Wisconsin is one of the few, and I CAN'T WAIT till our idiot Governor leaves! I just hope the next guy is a little less narrow minded.

We do have concealed carry, but in my area, not too many people actually carry, or as Denster pointed out, they hide them well. LOL I live in a rural county, pop. 44,000. In the cities like Dayton and Toledo, I'm sure the carry stats would be higher. We are fortunate to have unlocked doors and pretty benign Police logs in New Knoxville, but I'd lay money every farm house has a shotgun or two.

I feel safer in a community where the law abiding citizens have guns, be it Texas or Georgia or Ohio. When people from other parts of the world seem surprised about how casual firearms are in the US, I wonder how scary it would be without them?

Johanna

Pardon my ignorance, but is Ohio one of the few states without concealed carry? I know Wisconsin is one of the few, and I CAN'T WAIT till our idiot Governor leaves! I just hope the next guy is a little less narrow minded.

Ohio has both CC and OC. I feel for Wisconsin. You are one of the few, lumped in with Illinois & DC....ewwww :whistle:

You ought to try being mayor of your town and see the reaction of people when they find out you live with a 357mag. snubbie. Most people think it's pretty cool. I prefer concealed carry........

We do have concealed carry, but in my area, not too many people actually carry, or as Denster pointed out, they hide them well. LOL I live in a rural county, pop. 44,000. In the cities like Dayton and Toledo, I'm sure the carry stats would be higher. We are fortunate to have unlocked doors and pretty benign Police logs in New Knoxville, but I'd lay money every farm house has a shotgun or two.

I feel safer in a community where the law abiding citizens have guns, be it Texas or Georgia or Ohio. When people from other parts of the world seem surprised about how casual firearms are in the US, I wonder how scary it would be without them?

Johanna

:16:

Ohio has both CC and OC. I feel for Wisconsin. You are one of the few, lumped in with Illinois & DC....ewwww :whistle:

Mean people suck. :innocent:

Had any similar moments?

Interesting that you bring this up Shorts. I occassionally get similar reactions here in L.A. but to the even broader, simple answer of "I do leatherworking as a hobby". Here you sometimes will get a reaction from that seemingly simple statement. "You cut and carve up the skins of defenseless animals for fun?!?" Yeah, the PETAites and wannabe do-gooders here can be and are very hypocritical in certain areas. Even when you point out that their Nike runners, Itailian leather BMW seats or their monogrammed briefcases were all made the same way, they still act shocked and appalled. One gallery buyer that I used to deal with for woodturning turned me down for potential leatherworking pieces due to the fact that "they refuse to sell animal flesh". Needless to say I pulled all my work from the gallery and told them to pucker up and K.M.A.