Thought I’d show off a few of my beginner attempts, any advice appreciated as I know I have a long way to go before I produce  anything like the standard of work I see on here.

I’m still very much a beginner as I only started with leatherwork a few months ago and only seem to manage 2/3 hours or so a week so my progress is somewhat slow.  I’m learning all the time from my mistakes and fortunately I seem to manage to make several mistakes on everything I’ve made so far.

The advice on here has been incredibly useful (thank you) as has the numerous you tube videos especially Ian Atkinson, Armitage Leather, Uk Saddlery, Kinnari Leather & Makesupply to name a few.

I’ve very recently progressed from using leather from Le Prevo’s scrap bin to buying their veg tan goat and dying the leather myself. I must admit that move has been very gratifying I am enjoying making things so much more now as the sense of satisfaction is so much more having started with a goat hide and ending up with a functioning item.

From my beginning a few months ago of  wanting to make a strop for my straight razor I then did a few watch straps but there are only so many watch straps I can make for myself. I then thought what the hell I’ll give wallets a go.

I do this purely as a hobby therefore I’ve been donating what I’ve made to a local care home where my mother resides that caters for people with dementia. They sell them to raise funds for activities for the residents this gives me the momentum to carry on as I seem to have run out of friends who need new wallets, because of this I’m thinking of having a go at some keyring fobs just for a change.

Who knows I may one day end up making a messenger bag but I think I’m quite some way from doing that yet but one day I’ll get there.

This is my first attempt at making a wallet

l3bNiuu.jpg

This is probably my 4th belt I made this one for my nephew

exzzfTQ.jpg

These were the first thing I made where I dyed the leather myself

T7XjVt6.jpg

My 5th sketchbook cover but the first where I dyed the leather myself

hKFERQj.jpg

My most recent finished wallet with work in progress on another in the background

AUtwNr1.jpg

Edited by stormcrow
faulty link to image

My modest workspace, lots more stuff on shelves above its surprising how much stuff you can acquire if you are that way inclined J

9nCwNcg.jpg

Just found this photo of my first ever attempt at leatherwork

e9idKZO.jpg

Edited by stormcrow
photo added

Looking good so far!  You'll have no problem with a messenger bag if you decide to go there.  Your sewing looks pretty good, but be prepared for some sore hands with a messenger bag, LOL.  

Bill

Nice work there!! You seem to be on the right track.

And yes, I have to agree with Bill on the sore hands thing... a pair of gardening gloves (the ones with sticky rubber fingers) help in reducing the strength required to pull the needles through the holes and also help to avoid your fingers get cut by the thread when putting some tension in the stitches.

Great job. Keep up the good work.

Wow, awesome stuff there.  Especially the stitching.  But the coolest part was the part about giving them away to raise funds for dementia patients.  As a son of a late father that had suffered severe dementia, I applaud you!

Thanks for the kind comments everyone, I'll keep on plodding on till I get to the messenger bag one day.

I've managed to managed to make another good learning mistake with my current wallet but spotted it this time before I began the final stitching so that's a sign of improvement. :lol:

If that's what you have done after a few months, I cant wait to see what you are putting out after one year. I wouldn't put off making a messenger bag for too long you could make one easily with your talent.

Your stitching is perfect, and your edges are amazing, congrats and keep up the great work.   

Every thing looks good keep up the good work

Nice work, the fiber structure of goat hides is quite dense and makes leather with excellent tear strength, may be a little harder to work vs similar thickness cowhide, items should hold up very well!

I like your use of contrasting colors.  What did you use to dye your orange sketch book cover?  would like to see photos of the inside, too!  Keep up the nice work.

YinTx

On 01/12/2016 at 0:13 AM, YinTx said:

I like your use of contrasting colors.  What did you use to dye your orange sketch book cover?  would like to see photos of the inside, too!  Keep up the nice work.

YinTx

Thanks, it was dyed with diluted feibings pro oil red, probably more like salmon colour than orange in real life. I'll have to have a look to see if I have a photo of the inside as I've given this away so I no longer have it.

These are the only other photos of the sketch book cover I have they are not great at showing the inside but it was very basic just 2 pockets for the cover to slide in, one of which had a slot cut for the elastic.

f0EJ8jK.jpg

KUEXkdU.jpg

VdRM5GX.jpg

This was one of my first goes at a watch strap, its a bit chunky but the watch is quite a heavy beast so it doesn't seem to me to be too bad.

SmMdFbY.jpg

I've been thinking of having a go at a simple key ring fob and I saw one on pinterest of a heart that I thought I'd be able to do, so this is my attempt.

3NAk5Yu.jpg

3q4tRPe.jpg

LFI8rpT.jpg

I'd say you were able to!  Came out nice!

And thanks for posting the inside photos, well done, I like it.

YinTx

Just finished my latest wallet, it’s probably the best one I’ve done so far i.e. not as many mistakes as usual although I still managed  a few.

Made with .9mm goat and dyed with Fiebings Pro Dye. The outer is lined to a thickness of 2mm with bright pink leather I found it in Le Prevos scrap bin. I should probably get into the habit of asking them to identify the scraps I find just for future reference.  

tEk2AXc.jpg

8HqS01l.jpg

K1hlV7V.jpg

blPOd4R.jpg

Edited by stormcrow
adding image

Nice job! You've got the skills. Keep on posting new stuff I like it.

Very nice work.  You are way too hard on your self.