Yetibelle

Adler Paint Polling

So I am starting the Adler restoration, here is the poll.

keep GREY?      OR      go  BLACK

You can also tell me I'm crazy and no one cares.

adler20.thumb.JPG.86a395bfeecada69d2bc60d0fab81105.JPG

So I am starting the Adler restoration, here is the poll.

keep GREY?      OR      go  BLACK

You can also tell me I'm crazy and no one cares.

adler20.thumb.JPG.86a395bfeecada69d2bc60d0fab81105.JPG

Grey, looks like the actual macine. If it was me, I would only clean it and keep the antique look, and value of and old tool.

Grey

Green?

Blue?

DSC_0005.JPG

Blue 29C71.jpg

What kind of paint are you going to use? I would definitely go with quality automotive paint. That said you could go black with gold metallic, maybe some red trim?

Darren - thats indeed a "special color" I guess a customer wanted it that way? Its a Chinese panther, right?

@Yetibelle

Agree with TacticallySharp - definitely light Grey - sells better "if" you sell it one day because of the more modern appearance.

Grey.  That was probably the original color.  I always try to match the originally color when restoring a machine.

glenn

Depends on what happens after its restored

a; for sale onwards - then original grey

b; for personal use - dark green or dark blue would be my choices

I just like doing machines a bit different as the factory colours are bloody boring

3 hours ago, Darren Brosowski said:

I just like doing machines a bit different as the factory colours are bloody boring

Next you'll be airbrushing flames and skulls on them.;)

6 hours ago, Darren Brosowski said:

As I have found out through vintage cars there are three catagories of old machinery buyers

1. Collectors; they want the machine in the exact colour and shade it came out of the factory in

2. Users; don't care too much about the colour as long as it works well

3. Collector users; want it to work well and preferably be in a factory colour, exact shade not too important and they'll accept a non-factory colour if its nice

I would love to see one in gray hammer paint with black details. <3 Make sure you post PLENTY of pictures during the process :)    

1 hour ago, VanRhodes said:

I would love to see one in gray hammer paint with black details. <3 Make sure you post PLENTY of pictures during the process :)    

that always looks good - thats my preferred combination too but the closer it looks to the original the higher the possible resale value is. Odd looking machines is something I would not buy. Avoid over painted screws and parts. This is something that tells you (or a buyer) the restorer did not care very much...

Actually, mate, any colour would be an improvement over how it looks at the moment!:lol:

I really like the grey, but I like things factory original, or close as possible.  

Thanks for the input.  I decided keeping it close to original.  I am missing the model plate.  I'm not even sure what model it is?  It is built like a Class 7-31, with the long hook shuttle and the head parts.  If one of you know the exact model I can make a plate for it. Thanks

adlerpnt1.jpg.2ffebf14ea4f52d06196363eba587cb5.jpg

When you are past the 50 ties like me you appreciate white to get more light. But original is always the best choice, looking beutiful. 

About the possible subclass: It's a bit difficult to see by the picture, but it looks like it has alternating pressers. If that's the case it might also have 16 mm foot lift and one needle, needle system 794. That's the spec of an Adler 20-19. The class 20-8 and 20-8a both have a spring loaded (jump foot) and very high foot lift;  30 and 40 mm. These are also easily recognized by a gear speed reduser on the handwheel. The needle system on these are the1000 u and they are both one needles.  The class 20-200 o has  upper transport and two needles, system 794. The rest of the machines has bottom feed only (part from one with puller feed and a couple with special attachments for sewing buffing wheels). But of course there are always special versions and custom builts. But these are the serial produced machines for the export marked who is recorded. So if it fits the first "profile" with two pressers that alternates, it's most likely a Kochs Adler 20-19. The class 20 was replaces by the newer class 120 in 1975. Who was made until 1993.  The Adler 120-30 is still made today on license by SL sewing machines Germany and cost a small fortune. 

Tor

I took it apart for cleaning but I will looks for a picture before that. Yes it has the outside foot and the toe-foot and has a 794 single needle.  I can't tell the head setup is any different from the 7-31.  Maybe it was a 20-19 at one point and then rebuilt as a 7-31?  Can that be possible? 

Singer class 7 and Adler 20 are about the same machine with many interchangeable part. Is there any Simanco parts on it that gives you that idea. I know they uses the same hook.

Tor

Me, I would have gone for black, with gold lettering, or that amazing blue.   But the colour you've used is fairly nifty too.

I love to see old machines rising out of the 'soon be heading for the scrap' pile.

Meant to add, there is someone out there ressurecting Singer domestics, and painting them seriously interesting colours (including polka dots).

Edited by LumpenDoodle2

I have to get the head-parts clean so I can read the numbers but they look like Simanco parts to me.

Adler_Head_Before.thumb.jpg.ed1c3352856bbcd9201a96f22b6a29ed.jpg

That looks like an Adler 20-20 with a standard lift. High lift machines has an extra spacer in between where the head is mounted to the base of the machine. I don't know if you disassembled it or if you're just missing a few parts for your thread tension mechanism. 

I agree it's an Adler 20-20, the last picture gave some more details. The highlift machines has in addition to spacers between the head and the base a extra gear wheel beside the hand wheel (a gear reducer) and the one with 40 mm lift a built up top bearing for the presser foot bar (top front). They are easily reconized. I do not understand the talk about the Singer kl 7. This is a original Adler machine, the Singer 7 is a black machine. The Singer 7-31 has a different casting in the head too, the base for the leaf spring fixture and the base for the thread spool is casted on the head. Singer 7-31 has a different hand wheel too. If it has any Singer parts they are often stamped "Simanco" but that does not make it a Singer machine. The only way to achieve that is to change the entire head, I do not understand why you would want too, you should be happy it's an Adler. Singer machines are popular in USA, the UK and by our member Constabulary, the rest of the world will choose the Adler machines ( that's my opinion anyway :) ) Most of the mainland European used machine dealer don't  want the Singer machines (unless they are very special and do not have counterparts). I cannot speak for the hole world of course, this is something I use to joke about...and my own opinion.  

Tor 

Here is a couple of highlift Adler 20-8 (or 8A, not sure) I could get for free some four year ago. The have a monster lift of 40 mm and used as garden ornaments. To bad really, these are expensive machines for the ones who need them.adler20hagepynt.jpgadler20hagep..jpg