This here is my second project, and as usual, I bit off more than I could (easily) chew, but I think it turned out OK in the end.

I needed a travel camera bag. I wanted it to fit my camera and 2 additional lenses, filters, extra batteries, along with regular city necessities, all in bag that didn't just scream "camera bag". As far as my design choices,  I wanted something to push my abilities, (or in this case push my patience). I met wet forming in my first project with success, so I wanted to incorporate that into my bag somewhere. I also wondered why all the bags I saw were either stitched and turned inside out so thread doesn't show, or the leather was sewn back to back. I wanted to make something in between, and find out why it's not  all that common. I found out :) I also wanted some sort of pattern to keep things from being so blah. Stamp work isn't really my thing, so I was looking around at various leatherwork I have around me for inspiration.  I noticed the broguing on my boots; that line of holes and stitching has a fantastic ability to dress up a normal pair of work boots to the point of being nice enough to go out on the town in, but it will prevent a pair of dress shoes from being "fancy" enough to be worn to formal occasions. I have hole punches, calipers and time. 

Man, stitching this took FOREVER!!!! It went fairly well while everything was out in the open, but once it was wrapped up, I was making every half of every stitch completely blind. I easily have 15-20 hours in stitching alone. I really like how it turned out, but holy cow did it take a long time to make this bag!

On to the pics, 'cause that's what clicked on my oh-so-clever title for, right?

P2010687.jpg

Wet forming one of the sides

P2060691.jpg

So. Many. Holes.

P2110712.jpg

We lost power one night so I ended up stitching by candlelight for a few hours.

P2160788.jpg

The the casual viewer may notice that the handle attachment points aren't level. The keen observer would point out that the cuts on the flap aren't perfectly symmetrical. Ehh... Oops? This was before I cut the excessive strap and stitched it. I wanted this usable before my 3 week, 16000 mile trip, which I completed the bag for with a comfortable 5 hours to spare. :blink:

P2160791.jpg

The difference between the leather colors is due to the fact that I worked on the main flap outside in the sun. I liked the slight contrast so I brought the leather for the strap attachment outside to tan too. I wanted to peen those rivets better before I left, but my friend totally flaked out on letting me borrow her ball peen hammer, so I peened them out using my father-in-laws (after these pictures were taken). I'm also chapped because I ended up marking the leather because all I had was a claw hammer - now I know not to depend on her for anything. Also, I I had to make those D-Rings by hand - we just don't have brass hardware on island.

P2160786.jpg

Those splotches are sweat stains. I used a towel to try to protect the piece while I was working on it, but when it's 85F and 85% humidity, sweat just pours off of me, errant drips are inevitable.

P2160787.jpg

On the inside I put a button stud at each strap attachment point. I have a plastic mock up for a camera and lens hanger so the camera is always held at the top so it's easy to reach, and so the lens isn't at the bottom of the bag, making room for another lens or just general stuff when I don't need 2 additional lenses. I want to make this out of leather eventually, my plastic version worked for my trip, but isn't going to last forever.  I thought I had some pics of the inside, but I can't find them, and I'm recovering from the flu, so mustering the energy to take some pics is asking alot :) .

Comments, critiques, and any helpful pointers are welcome. My stitching is better this go around, but still needs practice (at least the visible stitches look decent!) I'm going to reburnish the strap and the flap when I get the energy up; I came down with influenza the day after I got home, so there's work I still want to do, I'm just too exhausted to do it.

Edited by Deemer

Deemer, I think you did a great job on your bag.  I like the red thread!  Only critique I have is maybe you should glue and sew the ends of the straps so they don’t stick out.  Nice job!

Gary

Shoot, it's a cool bag. The red thread and the punched hole features draw so much attention. No layman will ever notice the small flaws.

Cheers.

Gary: I've stitched the strap  since those pictures were taken - the rivets are nice and mushrooms now too. I've been sick for nearly a week, but I've been going stir crazy so I thought I'd post the pics from a month ago right before I left. 

Bikermutt: I have to admit, I intentionally did something a bit flashy to serve as a distraction from the inevitable mistake or two I was going to make. Unfortunately, flashy doesn't distract me, we are our own worst critics after all. Side note - this was the project I thought I'd try to use your bushing idea for an articulated rivet. Somehow, I found what must have been the last piece of 1/4" brass stock on island and got to work pounding out a couple of d rings. I'll be keeping the bushing idea in mind though, should be useful someday.

Retswerb: I was hoping the inward pull of the strap would help the bag keep it's shape, but it's not and one side is bowing out more than I'd like after some use. The side with the plastic camera holster keeps that side nice and right, so I may have to do something similar on the other side. Doing the wet molded sides would work well on a smaller bag, but trying to locate stitch holes by feel when you're nearly elbow deep into a bag is maddening, even when you use an awl from the outside to locate the hole. And of course I set out to do two rows of stitches from the get-go. What was I thinking???

Edited by Deemer

I think its very attractive nicely made bag

Ball peen hammers are fairly cheap, buy one a save your friendship :-)

It's a great looking bag.  I would expect you to get some orders from it.  The brogue holes and stitching really set it off.

Say what you will. You don't have Dee rings. We don't have islands. You win. 

Tell you what, I've got a bunch of Dee rings. I'll trade you for some island.

And, we've got two pairs of neighbors, both recently returned from trips. Next door, and across the street. Off to New Orleans and Florida. They are all horribly sick. Airline travel these days will cause you distress!

Jeff

very sharp bag

An idea/thought on peening rivets; long forgotten, just remembered. Last used a long time ago when I worked more with wood. Place a disc of thick card board around the rivet head, allow the head and washer room. Use thick compressed card, like the stuff on card envelopes, the ones that say 'do not bend'. When you start tapping with the hammer and you miss, you ding the card and not your wood or leather surface

I'm new here. Can someone please explain how I can view the images in this post?  I get the name of a file, for example P2170686.jpg as a link, but clicking that brings  up the suggestion and opportunity to install a program (PDF Pro Document converter).  I did that, to no avail. Photos in other posts are immediately visible.

2 hours ago, JoDee said:

I'm new here. Can someone please explain how I can view the images in this post?  I get the name of a file, for example P2170686.jpg as a link, but clicking that brings  up the suggestion and opportunity to install a program (PDF Pro Document converter).  I did that, to no avail. Photos in other posts are immediately visible.

This is what happens when 3rd party hosing is used and the files are moved or permissions are changed.  There is plenty of room on the server to accommodate storing your photos here.  If they are too large, reduce the file size.  When pictures disappear from a thread, it becomes useless to all.

@Deemer Please upload your photos.  Thanks.

Tom

I'm sure it's great, but unless and until you upload the photos, I can't see them .  I get either non opening or "Safari can't find the server"

Paul

Yeah, I'm unable to see them too.