Mjolnir

One Maul to Rule Them All

New maul to play with. My new Russian. Elvish is a pain! and yes I am crazy, and constantly flit between projects! Just a thought but would a black velvet painting of Elvish Presley be cool or what!?

Suggestions on how I can make this permanent on the poly are welcome. ( I'm thinking an engraving tool then gold leaf.) 20180320_184058_resized_1.jpg

20180320_192936_resized_1.jpg

Did you make this?

You could get it engraved on a big metal ring and then mount it onto the maul.
Just watch out for Smeagol trying to make off with his precious, though...

20 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Did you make this?

No I got this on Etsy from Russia for $62 total. This was an inspirational purchase. It had a lord of the rings feel to it.

19 hours ago, DJole said:

You could get it engraved on a big metal ring and then mount it onto the maul.
Just watch out for Smeagol trying to make off with his precious, though...

Might be my best bet. wood burner melts poly (not enough control) , engraver is difficult on the small scale (again a control problem) . Sharpies and paint work but not permanently. My next experiment will be a clear coat over ink, and paint to see how it holds up. If that doesn't work I'm going to print the runes on shrinky dink plastic and glue it!

Edited by Mjolnir
typo

How about laser cutting the letters out and then filling them with a dark wax? :unsure:

On ‎22‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 0:18 PM, JMcC said:

How about laser cutting the letters out and then filling them with a dark wax? :unsure:

I think cutting this type of plastic with a laser will release noxious gases, like cyanide and possibly formaldehyde. The gases may also can leave a coating on the surface of the laser lens and disable your laser.

I would use a fine sharpie then a real heat gun to calmly melt it in. Bam!

The Maul tattoo

hey it just a wild thought :rockon:

Good day

Floyd

11 hours ago, brmax said:

I would use a fine sharpie then a real heat gun to calmly melt it in. Bam!

The Maul tattoo

hey it just a wild thought :rockon:

Good day

Floyd

That is Crazy! I love it and am going to try it when I buy a heat gun ( it's on my list... high on my list).

I bought an electric metal engraver today. Great results so far. It's a very mild impression. The engraver has embedded some of the graphite from the pencil and leaves a shadow of the writing. I also got some gold leaf and a polyacrylic sealer. I have some leather dyed green (waiting for it to dry) for the handle. I think I will name it Sting, a nerdy homage and a tribute to a Dark Star.

My understanding is that Mjolnir has a 'personality' in Norse Mythology, and with Jörmungandr thrown into the mix, won't the Green Eyed God of Jealousy flare now you have 'The One Maul'?

Edited by hwinbermuda

I never really finish a project. A Persian rug always has one knot tied wrong because nothing can be perfect. I hope, at best, to amuse the leather gods with my inept attempts to mix it up! Today I know that that Bombay ink is a vivid dye. You can engrave Poly. Liquid leaf is permanent on poly and leather.

10 minutes ago, hwinbermuda said:

My understanding is that Mjolnir has a 'personality' in Norse Mythology, and with Jörmungandr thrown into the mix, won't the Green Eyed God of Jealousy flair now you have 'The One Maul'?

PS did I mention I never finish a project? I also bought copper sheet today. With my new engraver maybe I can get closer to done with Mjolnir :)

You started to mention that you never finished a proj

But I can't remember the outcome

"A Persian rug always has one knot tied wrong because nothing can be perfect."

You do know that that is also a Navajo thing, too, right?

1 hour ago, alpha2 said:

"A Persian rug always has one knot tied wrong because nothing can be perfect."

You do know that that is also a Navajo thing, too, right?

nope, i'm wondering where I even heard that. it was pre facebook so no fake news or collusion.

I grew up "knowing" that all Islamic art would contain an imperfection; mother's knee "knowing".

But I did search corroborative proof, as I quite like to think it would be true, and found very little to support it, particularly from Islamic Art sites.

I love the concept of deliberate imperfection. If your finished piece is perfect, but for a deliberate mistake, isn't it still perfect? And that debate just goes round and round.

If it was perfect but for your mistake, I think any God would be able to call you on your attempt to appease...

At the Gates, "hey Harry, that wallet with the error in the pictish border; saw that one ... "

H

Edited by hwinbermuda

Ok and now i can comment...i like to wait to see how you work things out brother! (Just like on the swivel knives) the embellishment looks great man fantastic job yet again! Very nice way to add personality and some feeling to your tools! I think it's funny how you went on the side of a big old heavy Maul, and I went the exact opposite direction! I will explain and show pictures later! Although mine is a whole lot less embellished! Again man great job!

I had heard the error story about Amish quilts.  Perhaps a bit of a story about a group we don't know enough about.  

My opinion on the intentional mistake is that it is almost an insult.  That the person making it thought they were so good they had to put an intentional mistake.  That otherwise they could make something that was flawless.

A previous boss was from Beijing China.  I mentioned that when we were growing up we were told not to waste food, there are children in China that are starving.  She said when she was young she was told not to waste food, there are children in America that are starving. 

drifting. my stupid modifications are for my own fun. My comment about a legend I cannot confirm, yet has been repeated in several contexts was never meant to be an insult. nor was it meant to detract from my stupid project. But thank you for bringing my stupid fun project into comparison to starving children. I have nothing more to say about it. peace.

afair the Native Americans leave a knot undone so that the blanket does not keep evil in it, the evil has an escape route. Maybe thats a myth too.

Edited by fredk

G'Day, Here are my ' mauls' 

The one on the right I  found  in a discount shop in the toy section.  I think it was meant to be for a child, like a childs toy tool kit, but it's just the right size & weight .

Its been  repaired a few times , as you can see. When I  use it, my hand is around the handle close to the rubber bit.

The one on the left ( I got from a discount hardware shop for a few $ ) its a bit heavier, around 9oz in your lingo,   I use for bigger stamps like 3D .  Despite their  ugly appearance , they work perfect and suit my needs. 

On 3/25/2018 at 3:59 AM, Mjolnir said:

A Persian rug always has one knot tied wrong because nothing can be perfect.

A bit off topic, I  was  machine stitching  a gun belt a few years back,  and a few stitches were a bit wonky , a friend spotted it and said to  me " thats a  ' humanity stitch '  .........It just reminds us that we are human"  . 

I quite liked that, and has stuck in my head ever since.

HS :) 

Maul Pics 002.jpg

On 26/03/2018 at 2:19 AM, baroness said:

My opinion on the intentional mistake is that it is almost an insult.  That the person making it thought they were so good they had to put an intentional mistake.  That otherwise they could make something that was flawless.

I have known many crafts people that make flawless, stunning work, so I am assuming this is a deliberate flaw in your argument.

Its not they "thought they were so good", most were or are stunningly modest. On this forum are many that would fit that description. The flaw part was comment on various belief structures, not crafts folk boasting.

I feel it is bizarre that you then felt you had to lob in the weird link to starving kids.

On 27/03/2018 at 0:22 AM, Mjolnir said:

drifting. my stupid modifications are for my own fun.

And loads of us read and marvel at the finished article. Great maul, following the excellent mallet to Thor's hammer. Linked to a gentle humour, I look out for your posts.

Thanks Mjolnir.