kgg

Sewing thread polyester vs bonded nylon

I am going to be sewing upholstery weight leather, dog leads, dog collars, leather rifle cases, thick fabric Sherpa type fabric and sunbrella type materials for dog related items. I am now going to be using a Juki 1541s flatbed sewing machine. I have had no problems using bonded nylon in the past with other machines that I have owned but need more thread so my question before I order more is what are the pros and cons to using bonded nylon thread verses polyester.

Any information, comments or advice is appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

kgg

Visually and sewing with them, they are difficult to tell apart.  The polyester thread should be used if your product is going to be in the sun a lot as it resists uv damage better.

First off: I have absolutely no connection with the company in the address I am going to give you. This is an excellent article for just what you are wanting to know.

https://www.sailrite.com/Selecting-the-Right-Thread-Material

Ferg

kgg,

I have mostly bonded polyester thread myself, as my commercial sewing experience began with Sunbrella fabric, canopy covers, awnings, patio furniture, that type of thing, all for outdoor use. I'm going to be experimenting with nylon thread myself, as I'm moving into leather work too. I say experiment! get a couple small cones and see what you think of the bonded poly. With sunbrella fabric and the ideas you have for your dog collars (which may be outdoors quite a bit?) I say you probably will like using bonded poly thread. However,  how long the threads can withstand the outdoors will also have to do with what part of the country the products you make are used in. In other words, do these Sunbrella dog collars and sch get exposed to the Arizona sun? For how long? All things to consider.

Perhaps the items that you make are just for yourself and you will only have to think of the climate/temps in the area where you live, whatever that is, and how many hours a day the items will be outdoors in the hot sun. However, if you are making these items for others and sending them to different climates, I would consider going with a bonded poly for sure. Just my opinion.

If your products would be subjected to extreme heat you may even want to consider kevlar thread - which is quite expensive. I have had Customers request it, then change their mind when they find out how much you have to add to your "Materials" fee. I have only had to use that a handfull of times and have just one cone of it, in black. LOL.

By the way, Ferg recommended a great website (sailrite.com) for information on threads.

Good luck!

I could be corrected and welcome it. Saying that I, understand they intended to make or keep a strength type specification when making a specific size thread. 

The one recomendation I will push is, buy new thread from a company. Another tip is keep these out of the sun in your particular storage. 

I found it pretty darn easy to get any brand name and any of their special threads “ if “ My size stayed under 138. Something I think is noticeable and weather it changes a decision or not its progress or invention, this has influenced threads for sewing. 

Good day

Floyd

Thank you all,

What I have gathered is if the thread is going to be exposed to a lot of UV then use poly otherwise bonded nylon. Most of the items I make except for the leather dog collars / leads will be used indoors so I guess I will stick with the bonded nylon and just pickup a cone of poly.

kgg

The Thread Exchange also has very good information on thread pro's and con's

http://www.thethreadexchange.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=TTE&Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Information

Here is the most information I've seen between the two, and I'm even more confused after reading and studying both.

Polyester Thread Information.doc

Nylon Thread Information.doc

Nylon threads are strong, inexpensive, and easy to use with leather. I like to use them when I work with belts. As was said by other members, nylon is better for products that are not going to be outdoors (for a long time). Polyester is a better choice for anything used outdoors because of its sunlight (UV) and mildew resistance. I think you can try polyester because you are going to sew rifle cases and dog leads. You can read more about nylon and polyester threads here https://www.superiorthreads.com/education-thread-for-sewing-on-leather and if you will choose polyester you can find more about brands here https://sewingland.org/best-sewing-thread/. As for me, I'm using HAITRAL polyester threads when it is needed.

7 hours ago, Alectia said:

Nylon threads are strong, inexpensive, and easy to use with leather. I like to use them when I work with belts. As was said by other members, nylon is better for products that are not going to be outdoors (for a long time). Polyester is a better choice for anything used outdoors because of its sunlight (UV) and mildew resistance. I think you can try polyester because you are going to sew rifle cases and dog leads. You can read more about nylon and polyester threads here https://www.superiorthreads.com/education-thread-for-sewing-on-leather and if you will choose polyester you can find more about brands here https://sewingland.org/best-sewing-thread/. As for me, I'm using HAITRAL polyester threads when it is needed.

After much investigating, reading technical specs and my own testing I have mostly converted to 1lb cones of Coats Dubond Bonded Polyseter and for Bonded Nylon I use A&E thread. The cheap Chinese stuff, particularly black bonded nylon in 8 oz cones, doesn't hold a candle too either. It is a little more expensive but much, much better quality.

kgg

I've been told that the Polyester thread is made from many short strands,so if you use it where it rubs against something like the inside of a belt it pulls some of the strands off the thread giving a fuzzy look after a while.Nylon doesn't do this since the strands are alot longer & stiffer.

I keep bonded polyester thread in stock in black and white, in sizes 92, 138 and 207. I use it when I make or repair outdoor projects, like motorcycle seats. I get bike seats and tarps in where the nylon thread gave up from exposure to the elements. Other than that, it costs a couple bucks more per spool than nylon.

None of these compare to what I spent on one pound spools of Barbour's Irish Linen thread for Union Lockstitch machines.

Even though this is an 2½ year old thread, I think it will be in order to revive it, because I know most people above giving information is still active in this forum.

I have read the good references given above. I like to add, that in my impression that, nylon can be harder to color, and the amount of colors to buy are more limited with polyester thread.

I guess, that the main advantage of nylon thread is, that it stretch more with the same tensile load. Nylon have got a lower youngs module than Polyester. If you get a concentrated tensile load on a seam, then nylon will be able to spread the load to more stitches than polyester. If you get one thread broken one place in a seam, the seam will slowly start to unravel from this position in the further use of the sewn product. Nylon do not seem to have a significantly higher tensile strength, than polyester got. I have noticed, that the thread brand, Amann recommends the use of nylon thread in high strength webbing applications for lifting purposes, that require high safety issues as well.

However I discovered yesterday a video from Dr. Bob from Superior Threads. He mention, that nylon got a problem of being brittle over time, and got a low heat tolerance. I know, that the melting point of nylon and polyester got about the same melting temperature, but it do not mean, that a lower temperature may affect the thread. I know that Superior Threads do also sell nylon threads for leather. His audience in this video is garment home sewers - it may also be an issue here. But do Dr. Bob got a point here?

Edited by Gymnast

7 hours ago, Gymnast said:

Even though this is an 2½ year old thread, I think it will be in order to revive it, because I know most people above giving information is still active in this forum.

I have read the good references given above. I like to add, that in my impression that, nylon can be harder to color, and the amount of colors to buy are more limited with polyester thread.

I guess, that the main advantage of nylon thread is, that it stretch more with the same tensile load. Nylon have got a lower youngs module than Polyester. If you get a concentrated tensile load on a seam, then nylon will be able to spread the load to more stitches than polyester. If you get one thread broken one place in a seam, the seam will slowly start to unravel from this position in the further use of the sewn product. Nylon do not seem to have a significantly higher tensile strength, than polyester got. I have noticed, that the thread brand, Amann recommends the use of nylon thread in high strength webbing applications for lifting purposes, that require high safety issues as well.

However I discovered yesterday a video from Dr. Bob from Superior Threads. He mention, that nylon got a problem of being brittle over time, and got a low heat tolerance. I know, that the melting point of nylon and polyester got about the same melting temperature, but it do not mean, that a lower temperature may affect the thread. I know that Superior Threads do also sell nylon threads for leather. His audience in this video is garment home sewers - it may also be an issue here. But do Dr. Bob got a point here?

I used to buy a lot of Nylon #69 and some #227 off Superior Thread Co.  . I liked the quality of there nylon they sold, it was always nice and smooth thread and came of the rolls nice to.  They used to have and mail-out, a specific color sample and thread size chart/card, they would send you for only Nylon/poly thread buying.
Nylon is strong good for abrasion, and also in the terms of for specific application of static and dynamic, stretch is specified as very good thing.

Looks like in this Vid. , Dr. Bob is a pedaling his goods for sale, to the neighborhood Quilting Bee . but.. Not making fun of quilting, as my Mom can kick my ass when sewing Quilts and crochet an Afghan.