chrisash

Smell of Leather

If you buy a new car with leather seats you open the door and get that nice smell of the leather, some other leather items have this smell.

The Veg Tan and Chrome leather i get never seems to have that smell in fact no smell at all

Is this a leather conditioner that causes this smell or a special way of tanning leather, whatever causes it does seem to portray a sense of quality just by the smell

The smell you think is the smell of leather in new cars is actually the smell of organic compounds off gassing. Plastic, vinyl, foam etc.

I don't know the answer to your question, but in my 30+ years of buying leather, I have found the stronger the smell, the cheaper the leather.  A roll of saddle skirting fresh from one of our US tanneries doesn't have very much of a smell, although others coming in the shop can smell it better than I can.  I do think sometimes when people come in and take that big deep breath and comment on how good it smells, that they are actually sniffing dye and glue fumes, rather than the smell of leather.  The "new car smell" could be dye and glue.

I find that once I work with something long enough, I don't smell the material any longer. I have definitely found that to be the case with leather. If I stick my nose right against it, I can still smell it.

I kind of miss it.

Jeff

I can smell bridle leather much easier than the various others I use. There's a fair bit of dubbin in bridle (wax, oil and tallow), which has a scent of its own that I associate with leather, but is not necessarily the leather itself. I think it's the oils oxidising. Smells like the better  shoe shops did when I was a kid.

I agree with some of the other posters above; unless I put my nose right up against the leather, or I've just opened a new package, I can barely smell it any more. Russian calf (treated with birch oil) has a scent of its own -- just ask Coco Chanel ;-) !

When people come into the workshop the "leather smell" they go doolally over is primarily glue solvent, alcohol dye and scorched dust from the belt sander. And the coffee machine.

Don't know about new cars (full-time leatherworker), my car smells... distinctive. Don't think anyone's going to want to bottle that particular scent.

Thanks guys

Sorry Matt I think i will wait awhile before asking Coco as she is dead and may have her own distinctive smell by now:lol:

3 hours ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

I have found the stronger the smell, the cheaper the leather

I am curious about this (what leathers have you seen this with?), since I have found the opposite.  Example, Barenia leather is quite expensive, and the treatment they use is odiferous.  Same goes for the Sedgwick's leather I have, very significant smell, they use a lot of oils in their leather, and some of it is fish oil, I believe.  The mimosa used to tan the Chevre Chagrin gives even the goat leather a very unique pleasant smell.  Even some of the US leathers like Horween's Dublin has its own odor.  All of them cause people to go "oooooooo I smell leather!" Some of the cheaper oil tanned and chrome tanned leathers I purchased a few years ago tanned in Asia do not have much of any odor at all.  

As far as veg tanned, most of the South American tanned leathers I have seen don't have much odor at all, but the Hermann Oak leather has a smell that I enjoy.  Wickett and Craig seems pretty neutral for me.  This and a bright pink hide I got on the cheap (which smelled like fish 3 years ago, and still smells like fish today, hence why I haven't used it yet) have been the exceptions to the rule for me.

YinTx

This reminds me on going to Petticoat Lane market in London years ago to buy a leather jacket. I found the smell of the leather really overpowering in the warehouse section of the market that sold the jackets. I was told later , by someone in the know, that they sprayed the jackets with gas canisters at the start of the day to give that ‘leather’ smell 

6 hours ago, chrisash said:

If you buy a new car with leather seats you open the door and get that nice smell of the leather, some other leather items have this smell.

. . .

Is this a leather conditioner that causes this smell or a special way of tanning leather, whatever causes it does seem to portray a sense of quality just by the smell

In the UK you can buy a car leather upholstery cleaner which will give off a 'new leather' smell after use. Car dealers use it on both  new cars and used cars. The cleaner works on the PVC and plastic parts as well, shining them up but adding that 'leather' smell

10 hours ago, YinTx said:

I am curious about this (what leathers have you seen this with?), since I have found the opposite.  Example, Barenia leather is quite expensive, and the treatment they use is odiferous.  Same goes for the Sedgwick's leather I have, very significant smell, they use a lot of oils in their leather, and some of it is fish oil, I believe.  The mimosa used to tan the Chevre Chagrin gives even the goat leather a very unique pleasant smell.  Even some of the US leathers like Horween's Dublin has its own odor.  All of them cause people to go "oooooooo I smell leather!" Some of the cheaper oil tanned and chrome tanned leathers I purchased a few years ago tanned in Asia do not have much of any odor at all.  

As far as veg tanned, most of the South American tanned leathers I have seen don't have much odor at all, but the Hermann Oak leather has a smell that I enjoy.  Wickett and Craig seems pretty neutral for me.  This and a bright pink hide I got on the cheap (which smelled like fish 3 years ago, and still smells like fish today, hence why I haven't used it yet) have been the exceptions to the rule for me.

YinTx

My experience has been primarily with the saddlery and harness leathers from the two vegetable tanneries left in this country, plus a few that have closed since I started, vs the cheaper leather from South America, Mexico and finished equine products made from leather tanned in Asia.  I don't use a lot of chrome tanned leather, and rarely know where it's coming from when I do buy it.  If it stinks, I'm probably going to send it back to the supplier.

Both Hermann Oak and Wickett's leather has a pleasant smell, although not overly strong.  I honestly have to put my nose right up to a fresh side to smell it.  However, I guarantee that if there was a new side of saddle skirting from Brazil in the shop (it's been 30 years since there has, and it's not ever going to happen again), I would be able to smell it the second I walk in the door.  This is even more true of the harness and strap goods made in Asia.  That stuff stinks, and I can smell it from across the shop.  I hate to even have any of it sitting waiting for repairs to be done, because it makes the whole shop stink.  The leather from Brazil and the leather from Asia that I'm referring to do not smell the same, or even similar.  Some of the leather from Brazil smells a bit like 2,4-D weed spray.  The Asian-tanned leather that I'm talking about smells like. . . a cross between horse urine and something I can't even describe.  Leather tanned in Mexico has gotten less offensive, and I have used some Chahin leather, although I avoid it for the most part.  It has a less pleasant, less "leathery" smell than either Hermann or Wickett. 

I have not used Barenia leather, that I know of.  Nor have I used Sedgwicks, since I do very little English work. 

Edit to add: I forgot about the tanneries that have closed.  Muir McDonald skirting had the most peculiar smell, almost like cinnamon, quite pleasant.  I only got 2 or 3 sides from them when I was first starting out, but wish now I had gotten more. I like the way it aged.  Moser skirting had a less pleasant smell, not offensive necessarily, just not a smell that made you want to keep sniffing it.  I used some Westan skirting before they closed, and don't remember anything in particular about the odor, but did like the way it worked.

Edited by Big Sioux Saddlery

1 hour ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

Both Hermann Oak and Wickett's leather has a pleasant smell, although not overly strong.  I honestly have to put my nose right up to a fresh side to smell it.  However, I guarantee that if there was a new side of saddle skirting from Brazil in the shop (it's been 30 years since there has, and it's not ever going to happen again), I would be able to smell it the second I walk in the door.  This is even more true of the harness and strap goods made in Asia.  That stuff stinks, and I can smell it from across the shop.  I hate to even have any of it sitting waiting for repairs to be done, because it makes the whole shop stink.  The leather from Brazil and the leather from Asia that I'm referring to do not smell the same, or even similar.  Some of the leather from Brazil smells a bit like 2,4-D weed spray.  The Asian-tanned leather that I'm talking about smells like. . . a cross between horse urine and something I can't even describe.  Leather tanned in Mexico has gotten less offensive, and I have used some Chahin leather, although I avoid it for the most part.  It has a less pleasant, less "leathery" smell than either Hermann or Wickett. 

I have not used Barenia leather, that I know of.  Nor have I used Sedgwicks, since I do very little English work. 

All that you say makes sense.  And the Hermann Oak smell really comes out for me when I case it - particularly the older leather I have.  And the veg tan that stinks---I have some of that crap!  I thought it had been ruined by a cat or dog or something - I tried to clean with Oaxalic acid, etc - helps, but wow!  Nice to know it is just the tannery formulas doing that.  I haven't used it for anything but prototyping it smelled so bad.

If you are curious, I can always send a bit of the Barenia and Sedgwicks for you to see/feel/smell.  Beautiful stuff for sure.  I don't do "English" work per se, but I like to use this leather when I can.  I have quite a bit of the Sedgwicks now, and can't wait to use it on something.

YinTx

12 hours ago, YinTx said:

All that you say makes sense.  And the Hermann Oak smell really comes out for me when I case it - particularly the older leather I have.  And the veg tan that stinks---I have some of that crap!  I thought it had been ruined by a cat or dog or something - I tried to clean with Oaxalic acid, etc - helps, but wow!  Nice to know it is just the tannery formulas doing that.  I haven't used it for anything but prototyping it smelled so bad.

If you are curious, I can always send a bit of the Barenia and Sedgwicks for you to see/feel/smell.  Beautiful stuff for sure.  I don't do "English" work per se, but I like to use this leather when I can.  I have quite a bit of the Sedgwicks now, and can't wait to use it on something.

YinTx

YinTx, that would be fantastic if you could send me some samples!  Mighty neighborly of you!  I don't see a location listed for you but I'm assuming you are in the states. . .Tx perhaps. Lol.  Do you acquire your Sedgwick's from overseas or is there a distributor in the states.  There may be an opportunity for me to start creating more English work.  The bridle leather from our domestic tanneries are just fair, and I know the high end English work made from real English bridle leather is far superior to anything tanned and made in the US.  I will PM you may address if you are willing to do that.  It is very much appreciated!!

6 hours ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

YinTx, that would be fantastic if you could send me some samples!  Mighty neighborly of you!  I don't see a location listed for you but I'm assuming you are in the states. . .Tx perhaps. Lol.  Do you acquire your Sedgwick's from overseas or is there a distributor in the states.  There may be an opportunity for me to start creating more English work.  The bridle leather from our domestic tanneries are just fair, and I know the high end English work made from real English bridle leather is far superior to anything tanned and made in the US.  I will PM you may address if you are willing to do that.  It is very much appreciated!!

Yes, States, and yes, Texas. :spoton: Got most of my Sedwick's from overseas, but some from here:  Tandy sells it now, it is pretty expensive.  Local store has a hard time moving it I think due to price.  Barenia is from France, but sold here in the States also.  It is considered by some the quintessential Hermes leather since that is what they started making their saddles with.

YinTx

The tanning formula is one of the main factors as to how a leather will smell.  A tanning run that has been done here in the U.S. using the traditional Oak tanning formula will have a smell but it won't be overly prominent.  I don't even smell the leather any more in my shop because I have stuck with the same sources since I started with leather.  However, I have tried some of the cheaper leathers just for giggles and have found that when you have leather that has been tanned in Asia, Mexico, Central and South America, and many other countries where their base materials are of lesser quality and not quality tanning products that you get leather that has a distinct aroma, somewhat Ammonia like, and that is due to the fact that (and this actually true information) the pH of the water used has a negative impact, the fact that the base formula is not of Oak but of other lesser quality barks and oils, and several of these countries actually include animal urine in the blend to help break down the cell structure of the raw hide.  All of this leads to a totally different and often disliked smell and when a piece of leather comes into my shop, whether I brought it in or someone comes in with an item that has been made with such leather, I get that smell immediately.  So, for those who think that the higher price does not always mean quality, I would suggest that you dabble with a range of leathers and see for yourself which one's are offensive or not, and which one's tool, dye, burnish, and shape well and you will find that the leathers here in the U.S. and some select tanneries in the U.K., France, and Italy have the finest leather there is and they all have the same things in common:  they use quality Oak based vegetable formula, high quality water (whether filtered or natural spring), and they use the same formula and processes as have been used since the founding of that tannery.  Yes, they do cost more than some of these other leathers like Tandy and other retailers but if you are serious about making quality leather goods you need to be serious about using quality leather and that will cost you a bit more do so.  

G'day,

So many people come to my workshop or stall , walk in , and say " *sniiiffff* " mmmmmm  I love the smell of leather"  

I can't smell it at all , with the exception of first thing in the morning when I open my workshop door. But after about 1/2 hour or less, it smells ' normal'.  I get used to it.  But my cuppa-soup  & toast at lunch  seems to cut through it   quite well though  :P

I used to make fibreglass pools in another life, thats another story, but  I  soon became impervious to that smell  :nuke: 

HS 

My brother brought some leather back with him from Morocco recently and man does that have a smell! Seems like they must use urine in the mix. It's decent leather but the back on the cowhide is so marked by fleshing knives that it needs to be lined. :o

I used to shop in Allen's Boots in Austin for years, and walking in there was a dream of leather smells.  Most of the leather I've used has a faint smell but never had any that stunk.  Of course I don't have the volume of leather experience most of you do.  I will say though, I did time years ago at a Ford dealership selling new trucks and those King Ranch packages with all the saddle leather interior were something to smell!  Reminded me of the boot shop.

I didn't realize there were so many types of tanning etc.  Very interesting.