Scoutmom103

Pfaff 138-6 Looking for price and parts help

Found a Pfaff 138-6 for sale, head only,  I've added some pics below from the seller.   The Seller is asking me what am I willing to pay for the machine .   I'm not sure what would be a fair price (seller bought it as part as a large lot)?    And what it might cost to purchase replacement parts (if they are available)?    

561930121.jpg

561939534.jpg

IMG_6446.jpg

IMG_6450.jpg

IMG_6462.jpg

561930104.jpg

IMG_6448.jpg

IMG_6464.jpg

£50.00 or $75.00

Lots of rust, even on the hook and presser foot bar. Lots of unusual scratches behind the hook  - seems someone tried "something". Often the ZZ mechanism is gummed up on Pfaff 138´s and you need patients to free it (heat gun and oiling until it works again). 20 bucks if you like restoring machines and hunting for spare parts. Better look for a nicer one.

Edited by Constabulary

I'm with R8R. If you must pay something $5 and salvage whatever parts you can (screws etc). That is bad.

It can be salvaged but it means a lot of work on your part.   

glenn

Thank you.    Does anyone know if parts are still available, or are they pretty difficult to track down?

Parts for this machine are nearly impossible to buy from suppliers. I have two of these machines, a 6mm and a 4.5mm zigzag. Both were running machines when I bought them. I needed a few parts and was successful getting them at reasonable prices from a guy on Ebay (Germany) who parts out old sewing machines. I really think you will be better off finding a working Pfaff 138 in much better condition. I bought mine off Craigslist at or under $200 each with table and clutch motor. I see them often in the $600 to $800 range.

pfaff138-1.jpg

Thank you for that information JJN and everyone else.  I really appreciate that so many are willing to share their experience and knowledge on this site.

Edited by Scoutmom103

Those deep scratches in front of the needle plate are strange.  It’s also odd that one of the screws holding the needle plate isn’t flush.  The tension unit nut is cross threaded and the hook is dull at best.  I’m guessing someone ended up with it and they used poor judgement maintaining it until it quit working.  If there is a 50/50 chance of it being an easy fix, and it’s worth $100 running, then in this condition it’s worth half of the $100.  Those bizarre serrations in the bed reduce the value by half - I’d have no idea how to even explain them to a buyer - half of $100 is $50 so I’d have to agree with the others that as a fixer upper it’s not worth much.  

You've got a good eye, Don. When I looked closer the take-up spring looks a bit funny too and, strangely enough, most of the red paint marking oiling points appears to be intact. I suppose if you don't put oil down them then the paint won't be affected!

I would say that the needle plate screw isn't original and is just a countersunk screw with a slightly larger head. The other one appears to be slightly domed, whereas this one is flat. And there appears to be another knurled nut just behind the cross-threaded tension nut?

On 10/24/2018 at 10:42 AM, Constabulary said:

Lots of rust, even on the hook and presser foot bar. Lots of unusual scratches behind the hook  - seems someone tried "something". Often the ZZ mechanism is gummed up on Pfaff 138´s and you need patients to free it (heat gun and oiling until it works again). 20 bucks if you like restoring machines and hunting for spare parts. Better look for a nicer one.

I know this is an old post - but I am now dealing with a gummed up ZZ mechanism. 

If possible - would like to figure out a way to live chat (maybe with video) sometime.

Thank you!!!!!

Stephen

Moderator, Vintage Industrial Sewing Machines