Ceejay

Altering flat bed accessory for cylinder arm

I have a new cylinder arm machine and the flat bed accessory purchased at the same time. The table doesn’t fit very well and I’m afraid of ruining it completely if I start cutting on it. It’s hard to get a good photo of the fit issues, but can you see anything obvious that I’m missing? I know I need to cut off the back side near the belt, because it’s actually touching the belt. The left-most bolt in the front interferes with the knee lift. There are a couple places  near the point where the arm joins the body of the machine that there is a cutout that doesn’t follow the contour of the machine. I guess I looked and lusted after Uwe’s tables too much, but I really expected this one to be more useable than it is. Any tips and observations appreciated before I left my husband start cutting on it tomorrow. 

I think I’ll have to add each photo separately. This one is the back of the machine, where the belt rubs on the table. 

51D66191-B432-4499-931F-D08853B7BEA7.jpeg

Hi, I would talk with the seller before you cut up the table and get a refund?? It looks like it could be for another type of machine and not yours.

Edited by jimi

I had to move one of the bolt holes in the table of my CB4500.  Wasn’t a problem, but still a little annoying.  Worked fine afterward.  I would also contact the seller - looks like you may have a defective table.

Gary

That is a very shoddy workmanship for a flatbed table attachment.  I would send it back and make my own.  I would be embarrassed to sell that attachment.  Bush league!!!!

glenn

Was this a new factory table attachment, its clear it has some really rough contour. 

As you mentioned, in other words, an after market quality attachment, by Uwe would be nice. 

Here though, there are few but still comparisons with Uwes table attacments and these other factory brands. I believe its they are for sew machines, thats about all. :lol:

Good day

Floyd

ps: i also have a factory table attachment. It mounts fine and is totally useable. It came with a used machine purchase of mine.  With these respectfully,  I now understand the newer options available, they look Great! 

Sometime it is better not to sell an item than to sell a crappy made item.

However - can you post pictures of the hole thing + machine? What kind of machine is it? I never have seen a foot lifter in this position on a cylinder machine :blink:

Edited by Constabulary

The knee lifter arm looks like it has a bit of adjustment left where it can slide further into it's clamp, will there be enough to clear the bolt?

I agree, however that it's a very poorly made item, particularly if it's supposed to be made for that machine.

I would as Jimi said talk to the seller as from the photo's the flatbed attachment is of poor workmanship, looks like someone's first rough cut. Also I don't think the main table is the correct table for that machine as it looks as if the front of the base is slightly over hanging the edge. Overall it looks like someone had a regular flatbed K frame sewing table that they hacked out the middle and tried to reuse the scrap.  What machine is this, I think it is a clone of the Juki LS 1341.

kgg

Blimey who made that table, a boy scout with a blunt pocket knife and a bottle of Red Bull?

Na if it was made in Canada probably boy scout, blunt pocket knife, a bottle of Red Bull in one hand and a toke in the other.

kgg

Take a good look at Uwe's tables.  I replaced the dealer supplied table with Uwe's and am very happy with the change. You will love the magnetically held plate for seeing what you are doing when changing the bobbin.

I would be trying to return the one you have... very poorly done or for a different machine.

It’s obviously a low cost table - better than nothing, but not worth saving.

At my day job as a wood worker when something like this comes up I’ll use what you have as a template to massage into what you want.  Cut it, fit it, add wood, remove wood, fix the attachment points....and definitely use it enough to know what else you’d want to change....make the second or third round of changes until the fit and function meet your expectations then duplicate it with new material.

edit:  Um, since you ordered the table for a different machine knowing it wouldn’t fit, but willing to adapt it what I said above can be disregarded. Good luck - just keep at it and you’ll figure it out.

Edited by DonInReno

My intent here was not at all to insult the seller.  He will take the table back, if I want to send it,  He did not have the machine I wanted but was willing to order it for me and there was not a table specifically for it.  This is what there was, and I would like to make it work.  I have neither the tools nor the skill set to build one, I just need to make this one work.  I’m really oping that some of you here have adapted your tables in some way that might help me with ideas. To dicman, the was a bit of room with the knee lift, as was also suggested by the seller, and I’ve since made that adjustment. I’ve have one suggestion to attach legs to the table, maybe pieces of pvc, so it will slide on and not have to be attached exactly at the points where holes are in the table. I’ll still have to do a little cutting and sanding on it, but I don’t see any reason YET that it wouldn’t work that way. My embroidery machine has a table that slides on in a similar way. I’m still open to other constructive suggestions, and if my leg idea works I’ll post the results back here. 

we still don´t know what machine you have so we cannot make suggestions w/ know / seeing it. Please post pictures of your machine and the model / brand / name of the machine

With the photos, I can say it has exactly the same casting features of a 1341, that Im staring at.  Looking at the first photo,  a view at the back of the machine head. 

I recall seeing that mounting style of the knee / presser foot riser rod before. Seems different tables can possibly benefit with it I guess, and confident its a factory placement. Possibly the pedestal stands as the class 4, the 4500’s and 441 typically use. 

I had made a slotted hole directly under that machine connection. So to have the bumper rod traveling down and then toward the needle or cylinder end. Im using an existing corner of a bigger sew table. 

In all our setups, these parts can and should be to better our performance or comfort.  With that, I still used the blue flame to get the particular bends in the steel rod just right. 

Good day

Floyd

If it doesn't fit, and the workmanship is that shoddy, why even send it out to a customer?

One vendor comes to mind as I look at these pics...

5 hours ago, Ceejay said:

I have neither the tools nor the skill set to build one, I just need to make this one work.

But a good sewing machine vendor would (should) have all the tools and know how required to make the part or accessory fit properly before shipping it out. If not, why even sell it? For example my Juki dealer stocks blank table tops and custom routs them for every machine/motor combo.

In my opinion this was just sloppy.

Don probably has the right idea, adding and removing bits to make it fit properly, but that still requires some woodworking tools and basic skills. Another way might be to make a thin top piece that is cut correctly and glue it on top. I think you'll be struggling to make it usable.

All joking aside, I do think that you are going to have a uphill struggle with a lot of work to try and make the table as well as the table top look acceptable, properly balance the weight of the machine (I think would be in the 80 lb plus range) and must importantly work properly / safely. Unless you have the equipment and skill to make the necessary changes I would return it to the seller and wait the double of weeks for the proper one that will safely fit your machine.

kgg