Rossr

Custom Bowie and Sheath

This is a custom Bowie knive I just finished. Stock removal knife out if O-1 elk antler and wood handle.  Leathe sheath with Bowie tie hold down and removable belt loop.  As always open to constructive comments!  

Ross

20191017_185923.jpg

20191017_185842.jpg

20191017_185827.jpg

20191017_185930.jpg

20191009_152849.jpg

20191017_190653.jpg

20191009_152911.jpg

20191017_190423.jpg

Excellent work. That handle looks like a great fit in the hand. In fact that knife is sliding nowhere, no matter how wet or bloody. Good job.

Both knife and sheath are absolutely beautiful. I really like the removable belt loop. I've been wanting to do something like that for myself. I have to ask about the red foot prints. Does that have some special meaning? Seems like a random design to put on a rugged looking outdoorsman's rig. It looks like you've inlaid that behind the face of the sheath?

Ross, what a nice Bowie.

I have seen your antler/handle work before, which is of course, very nice.

This time you stunned me with the overall shape, design and finish of the blade and hand-guard. Wow! Love that hand-guard.

I have never seen anything like that "sling" attachment. Quite unusual, and cool. Is that your own design?

nick

1 hour ago, toxo said:

Excellent work. That handle looks like a great fit in the hand. In fact that knife is sliding nowhere, no matter how wet or bloody. Good job.

It does fit the hand nicely. I've had several comments about that and everyone who has held it agrees Thank you 

1 hour ago, TargetRockLeather said:

Both knife and sheath are absolutely beautiful. I really like the removable belt loop. I've been wanting to do something like that for myself. I have to ask about the red foot prints. Does that have some special meaning? Seems like a random design to put on a rugged looking outdoorsman's rig. It looks like you've inlaid that behind the face of the sheath?

The footprints have special meaning to the new owner. Kinda a trademark of sorts. I have to remember to ask why they are important to him as I believe there is some meaning behind it.  Yes I actually ran the leather through the splitter then cut out the foot prints and the put red leather behind it.  Glued it back together and sewed around the foot prints.   Here I realize next time I will run the red leather the whole way so I dont have a bump around the foot prints.  I did skive around the red but it's still noticable. Although it's ok imo.  I think if I went o the edgea and skiver there it might have been better. 

1 hour ago, wizard of tragacanth said:

Ross, what a nice Bowie.

I have seen your antler/handle work before, which is of course, very nice.

This time you stunned me with the overall shape, design and finish of the blade and hand-guard. Wow! Love that hand-guard.

I have never seen anything like that "sling" attachment. Quite unusual, and cool. Is that your own design?

nick

Nick,

No it's not my design I've seen them before on some knives.  Just my take on it.  The brass button or knob if u will. I turned on a lathe so its bigger which I liked.  My thought on it was with such a large knife if you wanted to just keep it in a pack you can juse the sheath and bow tie strap.  If you want it on your belt you can put the belt loop on it.  The other issue I had was the large guard.  If I looped the back piece around I felt it would have been very large towards the top and would have needed a large wedge.  I thought that would look funny at best and not fit great either.   Hope that makes sense

Thanks for the nice thoughts. 

Ross

I like the sheath a lot, but I like the knife even more!  That is a nice piece of work!

Both knife and scabbard are very nice indeed!   I love the way you did the removable belt hanger too.  Great idea!

- Bill

15 hours ago, Sofaspud said:

I like the sheath a lot, but I like the knife even more!  That is a nice piece of work!

Appreciate that. Thank you.

4 minutes ago, billybopp said:

Both knife and scabbard are very nice indeed!   I love the way you did the removable belt hanger too.  Great idea!

- Bill

Not my idea but something I've seen I am happy with the results for sure. Thanks Bill

That whole rig is awesome ! Totally needs to be in a movie

3 hours ago, kiwican said:

That whole rig is awesome ! Totally needs to be in a movie

Wouldnt that be something! Thanks 

Yep, I'd be proud to carry that.  'Cept ya kant, here in the great state of Texas...

YinTx

8 hours ago, YinTx said:

Yep, I'd be proud to carry that.  'Cept ya kant, here in the great state of Texas...

YinTx

That surprises me. Size the issue?

On 10/29/2019 at 5:49 AM, Rossr said:

That surprises me. Size the issue?

Not sure.  Texas penal code 46.02 prohibits the carrying of prohibited weapons unless in your own premises or en-route to your own vehicle or watercraft.  You can own them, make them, sell them apparently, but can't carry em.  46.01(6) defines an illegal knife as a blade over 5 1/2 inches, something designed to cut or stab by being thrown, a dagger, a bowie knife, a sword, and a spear amongst other things.  

It seems to be called out by name specifically, no idea why.  May have something to do with being pointy, or having two edges sharp?

A switchblade knife however, that does not meet definitions of other prohibited weapons, is a-ok it seems.  :dunno:

YinTx

Awesome work on both!!!! 

4 hours ago, YinTx said:

Not sure.  Texas penal code 46.02 prohibits the carrying of prohibited weapons unless in your own premises or en-route to your own vehicle or watercraft.  You can own them, make them, sell them apparently, but can't carry em.  46.01(6) defines an illegal knife as a blade over 5 1/2 inches, something designed to cut or stab by being thrown, a dagger, a bowie knife, a sword, and a spear amongst other things.  

It seems to be called out by name specifically, no idea why.  May have something to do with being pointy, or having two edges sharp?

A switchblade knife however, that does not meet definitions of other prohibited weapons, is a-ok it seems.  :dunno:

YinTx

Go figure!

12 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

Awesome work on both!!!! 

Thank you sir!

Awesome Knife Sheath design.. Convertible style! 

Great job!

Vikefan

4 hours ago, Vikefan said:

Awesome Knife Sheath design.. Convertible style! 

Great job!

Vikefan

Thanks.  I do wonder if it will ever get used without the belt loop but it still has benefits ifnthe owner chooses...

I like everything about that set-up @Rossr. I'm usually not a fan of antler handles due to lack of ambidexterity but one cannot argue with the overall aesthetic of that knife and its pants. Beautiful all the way around.

On 11/1/2019 at 9:14 AM, battlemunky said:

I like everything about that set-up @Rossr. I'm usually not a fan of antler handles due to lack of ambidexterity but one cannot argue with the overall aesthetic of that knife and its pants. Beautiful all the way around.

Thanks battlemunky.  I appreciate the nice thoughts.  

Rossr,  I like all your knives but have to say the is one of your top knife designs. A lot of the Bowie's that i see are not balanced, ( at least to my eye) to big in the blade and to small in the handle. This one is well balanced with both blade and enough handle for a great grip wet or dry. nicely done.

11 hours ago, cardinal leather said:

Rossr,  I like all your knives but have to say the is one of your top knife designs. A lot of the Bowie's that i see are not balanced, ( at least to my eye) to big in the blade and to small in the handle. This one is well balanced with both blade and enough handle for a great grip wet or dry. nicely done.

Cardinal,

Thanks for the compliment.   I do my best to achieve balance when I make any knife. Sometimes I get it right sometimes I don't.   I always shoot for comfort and usability and I want the weight balance to be correct as well. Meaning not too heavy in front or back but a nice middle range if that makes sense.   I  was tickled how well this one came out in that regard.  Thanks for mentioning it!

Ross