Aven

Moving Machines

Moving day is getting close.  I have two machines I need to transport halfway across the country, a Singer 31-15 and and Adler 167 in a Uhaul truck and I don't want to mess them up.  Is there something I need to do to prep them for shipping?  

Thanks. 

If you don´t trust the shipping co´s take the machine heads of the stand and transport them in your own car. If that's not an option I´d probably secure the machine heads with tie down straps as good as possible

Edited by Constabulary

Put a large plastic bag around the entire head to protect from moisture and catch small parts that can fall off from vibration in a truck or trailer, like thread tension assemblies. I know from bring home one of my first machines. I assume you are moving it yourself by your U-Haul reference. I would place the heads, wrapped in plastic, in boxes with styrofoam or other padding. Remove the top thread guide pins if you can. Use blue painters tape to secure adjustment screws.

Good luck and have a safe move.

Thank you gentlemen.  No moving company, just me.

Thank you JJN  I appreciate the advice and the well wishes.  So, tape, boxes, foam and they ride up front with me.  Got it. 

I like to strip all the pieces off the top of the deck(thread stands, bobbin winders, lights) and slide it top side down into the truck (on a moving blanket. Machine heads ride separately, usually laying on their backs  (everything in a low energy state). Good luck with all .. lift with your knees.

Hi  I have moved machines 100's of times .I set up at MC shows selling and installing

patches and selling our leather products. The table goes in upside down ( we screwed thru

the table to the floor.) The head goes into a purpose built box with rigid foam insulation. I've

seen fellow vendors arrive with the legs thru the floor and heads with broken take-ups.and

bent flywheels, especially shoe-patchers.  You can't be too careful.  tx Lynn

Servo can stay on as there's not much weight in them, just make sure it's secure and can't wobble around. Table upside down is a good idea if possible and definitely remove the head and pack separately. That is where the weight is and the real potential for damage.

You can never use to much bubble wrap especially the larger bubble ones, cheap and clean and vibration free

If you prefer not to remove the head, just lay the whole thing down on the floor of the truck.  If it's already lying down, it can't fall over and get damaged.  Machines are quite top-heavy and can fall easily in turns.  Tie the head down so that it cannot swing out on it's hinges.