In another thread  . . . we discussed using a vacuum pump and a vacuum bag to form holsters.

One of the folks asked for some pictures of my "system".

Here is a short video of what I do . . . and how I do it.

https://youtu.be/3KS1hAQ5c3U

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight,

Thank you!!

God bless

excellent video!!!! short and to the point!

Does the leather get thinner also or does it come back to original thickness after the vacuum is let off? Darn now i have another project to work on, a bag for my pump.

Edited by chuck123wapati

Great Video and thanks for talking about how you made the plastic bag and seal it up.

Ditto. Great video and thanks for sharing.

Great video. I thought you might leave the holster under vacuum till it partially dried like manual wet forming. 

9 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

excellent video!!!! short and to the point!

Does the leather get thinner also or does it come back to original thickness after the vacuum is let off? Darn now i have another project to work on, a bag for my pump.

Truthfully . . . I don't think so . . . but I've never taken a micrometer to it to find out.

I pretty much know what size I'm planning on using for what gun and what holster . . . and I just form it . . . sew it . . . finish it . . . and send it.

The bag is easy . . . getting that piece off ebay to suck the air out of the bag was the hardest thing of all . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

4 hours ago, 327fed said:

Great video. I thought you might leave the holster under vacuum till it partially dried like manual wet forming. 

It's a good idea . . . but actually I was surprised the first time I used it . . . the vacuum sucks a bunch of water out of it . . .  but it kinda gets to a certain plateau and it doesn't seem to get much more out.  The pieces dry really quick though.

I started out not having any one to ask . . . had to play "try and see" . . . my basic process is what you saw . . . as most all of the holsters I make are flat backed . . . even the pancakes.  I found the regular pancake holster to be far, far less comfortable than a flat backed one . . .  and the flat backed ones still have good retention.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Thanks. Got any idea what the connector off eBay is called?

I believe that is it. Thanks. I found an article in Wood magazine where they used a liner to go under a shower stall pan and the connector to connect a feeder line into the bottom of a toilet tank. 

https://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-tips/editorial-extras/shop-made-vacuum-press-bag?

Edited by 327fed

I only paid like 7 or 8 bucks for mine . . . 

I could not find the exact one I bought years ago . . .  but this is the nearest I found . . . https://www.ebay.com/itm/391876111610?hash=item5b3da2ecfa:g:gKcAAOSwkklZpdPd

I didn't read all the description, etc.  . . .  but I think this would work.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks

Dwight,

How did you slot the PVC pipe for the closure? I have done that on a table saw before but it really dulled the blade. 

11 hours ago, 327fed said:

Dwight,

How did you slot the PVC pipe for the closure? I have done that on a table saw before but it really dulled the blade. 

I anchored the PVC on top of my wooden work bench . . . took an angle grinder straight down the middle . . . I would have used a table saw . . . but don't own one at the moment.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks