johnnydb

Don't You Hate It When.....

Dwight, we me being hearing impaired, orders like that would NOT be taken over the phone. An e-mail or letter would have to be involved! :o

Then the customer has no one to blame but him/herself!

a diversion, a wee story.

When I did freelance photogs & journ, when doing groups of people I use to get one of them to write down everyone's name because we have so many weirdly spelled Oirish names.

After getting the list I was checking them over with the person who got them and wrote them down for me. When I got to one name she says 'thats me'. I says, 'you spell your name with a (x)'. 'No!' she says,' thats wrong'. 'But its your name and you wrote it down' says I. (pause) then she says 'I'm so used to other people mis-spelling my name I mis-spelt it too!'

I once did a book cover thingy. Wrong spelling of name. I did the name on another scrap piece of leather, fancied it up then glued and riveted it over the mis-spelt name. Job was a good un, person thought it was 'really nice' !

A very handy way of covering up those wee mistakes

11 hours ago, fredk said:

:17: 

On 9/7/2023 at 10:34 AM, fredk said:

a diversion, a wee story.

When I did freelance photogs & journ, when doing groups of people I use to get one of them to write down everyone's name because we have so many weirdly spelled Oirish names.

After getting the list I was checking them over with the person who got them and wrote them down for me. When I got to one name she says 'thats me'. I says, 'you spell your name with a (x)'. 'No!' she says,' thats wrong'. 'But its your name and you wrote it down' says I. (pause) then she says 'I'm so used to other people mis-spelling my name I mis-spelt it too!'

I once did a book cover thingy. Wrong spelling of name. I did the name on another scrap piece of leather, fancied it up then glued and riveted it over the mis-spelt name. Job was a good un, person thought it was 'really nice' !

When using a hot foil stamping machine I got the temperature wrong and made a mess of my wife's name.  (On red leather)

So....

I made several black "name tags" and stamped her name into those and sewed one on.  I told her that she was a brand name now.   

Just after sharpening and stropping my knife, I've slipped while cutting and the knife bounced off my hand without cutting me. I'm simultaneously relieved to be uninjured and disappointed my knife didn't do a better job.

Cutting a piece of leather with a ruler, my fingers were ever so slightly over the line , cutting away, I just caught the very tips of my fingers with my knife, no blood  thankfully ... however the tips of my fingers were nice and straight  :whistle: As ' Agent 86' would say, " missed it by that >> <<  much" .

HS

On 9/15/2023 at 5:32 AM, MedusaOblongata said:

Just after sharpening and stropping my knife, I've slipped while cutting and the knife bounced off my hand without cutting me. I'm simultaneously relieved to be uninjured and disappointed my knife didn't do a better job.

I've been doing some skiving and I know the feeling well.   Been after the edge with some Arkansas stones....but I can't find my jeweler's loupe to really see what is going on with the edge.  Something about looking at the edge at 60x really helps me fine tune the edge.  

Remember to keep those finger tips away from the rulers edge. I dodged a bullet :rofl:

20230925_120148.thumb.jpg.87c370b654cb27e90496035a62f6362c.jpg

On 9/15/2023 at 5:32 AM, MedusaOblongata said:

:rofl: 

Reminds me of this funny story: Guy was cutting the grass, wearing sneakers, and managed to run over his foot with the lawn mower. A trip to the E.R. followed. After the doctor had removed his shoe and what was left of his sock. the patient asked, "What d'ya think, Doc?"
"Well," the doctor replied, "offhand, I'd say your mower blade needs sharpening. You've still got all your toes!"

On 9/26/2023 at 12:04 AM, BlackDragon said:

Remember to keep those finger tips away from the rulers edge. I dodged a bullet 

Yup, done that, just at the very tips of my fingers, my tips were very straight.

What I hate, is when I'd be dying or sealing  a case or whatever, and I drop it on the floor....I pick it up, and drop something else....3-4 times. I get the ' dropsies' . DOH !! 

HS

When you put a temporary board extension to your work bench and forget to clamp it down tight?

Then you set an opened bottle of dye on the board and its enuf to tip the board and spill the dye

Not too much dye spilt, its the clean up I hate doing. No mess on anything except the bottoms of some containers

When.... you put something down on the bench , you go back to it....and ' poof' , its gone, like my bench suddenly  turns into the ' Bermuda Triangle '  . You spent the next 20-30mins looking for it . I had a full roll of masking tape , I only bought it last week . I need it for a job, ..do you think I can find it???........NUP !! :crazy:

Perhaps its in the same place where missing socks go. Certainly not 'where  all the calculators go ' ;)

I'll have to get another roll , doh!! 

HS

18 hours ago, Handstitched said:

When.... you put something down on the bench , you go back to it....and ' poof' , its gone, like my bench suddenly  turns into the ' Bermuda Triangle '  . You spent the next 20-30mins looking for it . I had a full roll of masking tape , I only bought it last week . I need it for a job, ..do you think I can find it???........NUP !! :crazy:

Perhaps its in the same place where missing socks go. Certainly not 'where  all the calculators go ' ;)

I'll have to get another roll , doh!! 

HS

I spend half my life looking for stuff. I normally put it down to the poltergeist but I've recently worked out that if what I'm looking for is even partially covered by something else it becomes invisible to me. Needless to say I'll find it when looking for something else.

7 hours ago, toxo said:

I spend half my life looking for stuff.

Do you know what makes this  worse? , I went  grocery shopping today in another town, , went to  a  major hardware.....bought plants etc... and I still forgot the damn masking tape ...arrrgh!!! :bawling:

I'll have to go to our local hardware here  tomorrow  ..doh !!! 

HS

When I keep something very safely in a place that seems obvious at that time but when I want it again the next day, I can never find it. Lost a whole huge roll of drawing paper I bought for patterns. Also  6 yards of canvas; big items; still cannot find them. Had to buy new and hubby kept them away. Says he cannot trust I will keep them carelessly enough to find them, since my 'safe' means 'lost'!

1 hour ago, SUP said:

When I keep something very safely in a place that seems obvious at that time but when I want it again the next day, I can never find it. Lost a whole huge roll of drawing paper I bought for patterns. Also  6 yards of canvas; big items; still cannot find them. Had to buy new and hubby kept them away. Says he cannot trust I will keep them carelessly enough to find them, since my 'safe' means 'lost'!

If it's lost, it's safe.  Even from you.

- Bill

4 hours ago, Handstitched said:

Do you know what makes this  worse? , I went  grocery shopping today in another town, , went to  a  major hardware.....bought plants etc... and I still forgot the damn masking tape ...arrrgh!!! :bawling:

Made I larf that did.

@billybopp  that's so true! But never fear, I will find it when looking for something else, then say, "Oh!. Here it is.  I will remember next time I need it!" I never do.

@toxo familiar. Need tea leaves for 2 weeks now and forget every time. Make do with tea bags which I dislike.:(

Ahh. The trials and tribulations of old age.... not. Been the same as long as I can remember.

2 minutes ago, SUP said:

@billybopp  that's so true! But never fear, I will find it when looking for something else, then say, "Oh!. Here it is.  I will remember next time I need it!" I never do.

@toxo familiar. Need tea leaves for 2 weeks now and forget every time. Make do with tea bags which I dislike.:(

Ahh. The trials and tribulations of old age.... not. Been the same as long as I can remember.

They say that as we get older, memory is the second thing to go.

I'd tell you what the first thing is, but I can't remember.

- Bill

2 minutes ago, billybopp said:

They say that as we get older, memory is the second thing to go.

I'd tell you what the first thing is, but I can't remember.

LOL.  That is another one like the madness thing... hair on the palm is the 2nd sign of madness...

Edited by SUP

As for forgetfulness - hands up if you've ever bought a duplicate leather working tool because you forgot you already had that particular tool! 

Just found out I had 2 plastic gizmos for drawing circles and corners...one is still in the package, so I'm wondering if Tandy might take it back!  :rolleyes2:

21 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

As for forgetfulness - hands up if you've ever bought a duplicate leather working tool because you forgot you already had that particular tool! 

Me too!

35 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Its  also called ' domestic blindness' . It happens to men...mostly...apparently;) . Trying to look for something and its right in front of you .

1 hour ago, SUP said:

hair on the palm is the 2nd sign of madness

....the third is looking for them :crazy:

3 hours ago, Handstitched said:
5 hours ago, SUP said:

hair on the palm is the 2nd sign of madness

....the third is looking for them :crazy:

Actually, that is the first!

Edited by SUP

13 hours ago, toxo said:

Made I larf that did.

Looking for something else...what did I find? the masking tape , just as I was about to get another one , it wasn't even IN the damn workshop :whistle:  But I bought another one anyway...

I put it down to aliens lol