johnnydb

Don't You Hate It When.....

You decide you need to do this one little touch-up on your nearly completed project, and can't be bothered taking your usual precautions with the leather dye...

You can guess what comes next, I'm sure! :rolleyes2:

54 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Now the entire project is black, dark brown or in the case of my granddaughter, red.

On 9/2/2023 at 12:39 PM, tsunkasapa said:

Now the entire project is black, dark brown or in the case of my granddaughter, red.

Let's not forget your work table, the floor and in this particular case, one of my sneakers... :rolleyes2:

19 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Let's not forget your work table, the floor and in this particular case, one of my sneakers... :rolleyes2:

Yeah....

I have learned to wear latex gloves and cover everything with garbage bags (including myself) when doing even the smallest project.   

I still ended up dying a spot on my new kitchen table....

On 9/2/2023 at 11:43 PM, Sheilajeanne said:

You can guess what comes next, I'm sure! 

off topic>>  I did a simple task on my old tractor at the weekend.......in my fave  nice- clean- white- T shirt.  What was I thinking?? When I finished, there was a big black smudge on the front.....DOH !! took 2 days to clean it. 

My dying bench is well away from  the other benches to avoid any' mistooks'  ...and any  potential  cursing  &  swearing . 

HS

Okay, pet peeve time... we work with dye when colouring leather. That means we are DYEING it. The other spelling (dying) means you're about to leave this world! :)

On 9/2/2023 at 12:43 PM, Sheilajeanne said:

You decide you need to do this one little touch-up on your nearly completed project, and can't be bothered taking your usual precautions with the leather dye...

This is the worst. Failing to take dye precautions!   Ah the projects that have gotten the ol, 'i guess it's all black dye for you' after painstaking hand painting a decorative scenery.

I've got these heavy bulbous votive candle holders that fit plastic shot glasses perfect, me or the cats can't knock it over. There's a fellow on etsy who 3d prints 4 oz dye bottle holders(weighted i think) too. 

I used to sometimes use to big of brushed for hand painting, the get more done faster...but...they like to pick up too much dye and sometimes drip, even after a quick blotting on paper before, the horror. I use smaller brushes now.

Edited by SpruceMoose

39 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Okay, pet peeve time... we work with dye when colouring leather. That means we are DYEING it. The other spelling (dying) means you're about to leave this world! :)

When dyeing I die a little on the inside so dying is applicable :rofl:

9 hours ago, johnnydb said:

I have learned to wear latex gloves and cover everything with garbage bags (including myself) when doing even the smallest project.   

I was very fortunate the dye missed my clothing in this particular case. I keep a box of gloves on a shelf above my bench, and a roll of paper towels is always in a nearby holder. And I use glass shot glasses for large dye projects, and Tandy's little plastic painter's pallet for smaller ones. Maybe I need to make a holder for the shot glasses and/or my dye bottles. Have yet to spill a shot glass, though, as they are bottom heavy.  Oh, and I have a box of 1 ml. syringes for measuring dye, plus some larger 3 and 10 ml syringes for larger amounts. Once the dye is measured out, the neck of the dye bottle and the cap are carefully wiped down before recapping to make sure I get a good seal, and to make sure I can get the cap off the next time I need that particular dye! 

. . . . . when you stamp something to find you've done it up side down?

9 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

I was very fortunate the dye missed my clothing in this particular case. I keep a box of gloves on a shelf above my bench, and a roll of paper towels is always in a nearby holder. And I use glass shot glasses for large dye projects, and Tandy's little plastic painter's pallet for smaller ones. Maybe I need to make a holder for the shot glasses and/or my dye bottles. Have yet to spill a shot glass, though, as they are bottom heavy.  Oh, and I have a box of 1 ml. syringes for measuring dye, plus some larger 3 and 10 ml syringes for larger amounts. Once the dye is measured out, the neck of the dye bottle and the cap are carefully wiped down before recapping to make sure I get a good seal, and to make sure I can get the cap off the next time I need that particular dye! 

I am fortunate enough to have a nationally known fish egg company here in my home town. Even MORE fortunate my dad and the founder were great friends. So I just swing by the plant and pick up a dozen or so of those low profile jars they pack the eggs in. They are almost impossible to tip over.

4 hours ago, fredk said:

. . . . . when you stamp something to find you've done it up side down?

or misspelling when doing monograms  etc.  The air goes rather ' blue' .:mad:

HS

yup, dun that two

Colin turned out Golin,   Andy became Amdy,   left out a T in Kitty,   spelt Gemma Jemma

11 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

colouring

Now I'm really confused because the spelling didn't look right but I see it both ways or is it one of those that can be spelled either way?

US spelling = coloring,  vs British spelling = colouring

6 hours ago, fredk said:

yup, dun that two

I might share a little trick I use in the event I stuff up on a belt  . I'll put it in the ' How Do I Do That ' thread. 

HS

I’m in the middle of an oops right now. Working on a chest rig holster for a handgun hunter. On MY order form that I created, one question asks what color do you want the leather dyed. The answer from this customer was ‘black’. That word ‘black’ sits right on top of the next question which is ‘what color thread’. His answer was white thread. I was moving too fast I guess and read this to be a black holster with black thread. Completely missed the ‘white thread’ part. You can guess the rest…

Wow! you have an order form? and you give people choices as well   :blink:

Has anyone managed to pour dye from a Feibings bottle without spilling any? You would've thought they would have helped us out by now with a pour able design. I don't think it's rocket science.

When did you last have tea in a caff? sure those teapots they have are impossible to pour from with out making a puddle on the table!  :rolleyes2: 

12 hours ago, fredk said:

Wow! you have an order form? and you give people choices as well   :blink:

I'll tell them what they want!

11 hours ago, toxo said:

Has anyone managed to pour dye from a Feibings bottle without spilling any? 

I can hear the Mission Impossible theme :lol:

14 hours ago, toxo said:

Has anyone managed to pour dye from a Feibings bottle without spilling any?

Try doing that with a 4ltr tin of acetone,pouring into a smaller tin . Even with a funnel, the acetone just runs down the side of the tin and not into the funnel making a dangerous and ex$y mess all over my bench. I can't even find a pouring attachment for the tin at any hardware shop. 

@fredk in my case, it will be a scene from ' Bullet' Steve McQueen, when the petrol station blows up . 

HS

Edited by Handstitched

Or over the phone the customer repeats the name of his son Ephan . . . E P H A N

You confirm . . . yes . . . E P H A N

Customer comes to pick up order . . . That name is misspelled . . . its E T HAN

Still have a little black belt . . . about a 28 inch . . . waiting for EPHAN to show up needing a belt.

May God bless,

Dwight