When I buy my   VT shoulders or butts,  theres often a branding mark .  I do try to chose my leathers to purchase  carefully, I  sometimes used to reject the hides with marks on them( depending where the mark is) .  I use these leathers for belts and I used to  work or cut  around them for plain belts, or, depending on the project ,  they might  be  able to be stamped or carved  over. Not any more .  With the advent  of crap  CNN ( Cheap N Nasty)  "leather" belts on the market, and  so many people keep asking me  if they are  real leather  at my stall (they  also sniff them, bend em'  etc) . , I've decided to keep them in as proof its the real  thing. And as  far as I know , you don't get branding marks on synthetic belts. 

Of course, you wouldn't keep a branding mark on  a bag or case etc or on   a large coverage . , or  especially on a clients order. But on a plain belt ?? 

Thoughts ?? 

HS

3 minutes ago, Handstitched said:

Of course, you wouldn't keep a branding mark on  a bag or case etc or on   a large coverage . , or  especially on a clients order. 

oh no? At one time I used to make shoulder bags out of upholstery leather. I'd bought several Kgs of it as off-cuts 

Anyway, a woman asked me to make a shoulder bag for her. I rootled through my stock looking for some nice stuff when she spotted a nice coloured piece with a large scar on it, The scar was about 6 inches long with a real ugly edge to it. She wanted that piece as the front of the bag. After finding out what it was, in her opinion, 1. it was unique,  and 2. only real leather would have it

Here in ranch country, I get asked to put all that into the project. Folks that raise cattle know how those get there.

I would definitely put a big brand on the front or back of a bag or brief case if the customer liked it. I love the character!

As far as your belts, as long as the brand doesn't create a weak spot, I see no reason at all that you shouldn't include the brands. 

1 hour ago, ArkieNewbie said:

I would definitely put a big brand on the front or back of a bag or brief case if the customer liked it. I love the character!

As far as your belts, as long as the brand doesn't create a weak spot, I see no reason at all that you shouldn't include the brands. 

I agree completely. ^^^^^^^
On raw everyday wear, just plain old nothing fancy belts, or even non fancy wallets or bags, I think it adds a bit of ‘intrigue’ to the item,,,and as the OP eludes….
       A bit of authenticity verifying real leather.

Joel

Edited by GrampaJoel

I stand corrected :specool:  and so they stay  well and truly in :)

14 hours ago, fredk said:

1. it was unique,  and 2. only real leather would have it

Agreed  :)

HS

On 9/14/2023 at 6:58 AM, Handstitched said:

you wouldn't keep a branding mark on  a bag or case etc or on   a large coverage

actually, yes, you can keep it - it gives the item a special character that it wouldn't otherwise have. Aaron of Maker's Leather Supply frequently uses them as accents for a bag he is making. It is all about how you view them, tbh.. you can view them as undesirable, or you can view them as an asset, something totally unique to that particular bag.

I have a side right now that has not just one, but TWO different branding marks - one on the hind quarters, one on the shoulder... just need to decide how i want to use them.

1 hour ago, Heartless said:

I have a side right now that has not just one, but TWO different branding marks - one on the hind quarters, one on the shoulder... just need to decide how i want to use them.

Sounds like a bit of cattle rustling went on  :lol:

32 minutes ago, fredk said:

I have a "horse of a different colour" as the old saying goes.  When I was a teenager, I bought a horse from the Blood Reserve (natives).  He had a lazy B on the right shoulder as that was an identifier for the Blood Reserve, and a 121 on the right hip signifying the native who had owned it.

So 2 brands, but only 1 previous owner.  I would also guess that sometimes cattle were re-branded when sold to a different ranch/owner, though I hadn't seen any such cases in my few years around cattle, farms, and ranches as a teen.

i use em folks like the look here. 

I like them.  I have several, personal items that feature brands.  Some companies feature them, Colonel Littleton, for example.  

front view of a two tone branded leather pillow - sold

Edited by Tugadude

Why do they still brand cattle, whilst in Europe they use Ear Pierced tags

40 minutes ago, chrisash said:

Many ranchers and feed lot operators here use ear tags too.  But when cattle are rustled and ear tags cut off, it's hard to identify the owner.  Has been some big thefts in this area in the last couple months.  Costing owners thousands $.  They pull into a pasture or leased grazing area with a couple large cattle liners, load up and off they go!  Many of these locations do not have any homes within miles/kilometres.

The more up to date use a form of tattooing, some with a type of infrared ink. Those folks understand the cost of leather per square inch. Your Mexican leather has branding marks that are all over the hide, usually done by a sadistic employee that needs termination at the least.

I use the branding marks to make saddle bag, travel  bags, and other carry alls. Some folks are brainwashed to think leather items should be spotless and that a bug would never bite a cow. Those that brand cattle need less time cooking skin and realize that it's a better brand that doesn't damage the hide and is more comfortable for the cattle. That's where tattooing comes in. In most cases it can't be seen with the naked eye. 

1 hour ago, chrisash said:

Simple and easy to identify from a distance. We live in an area that still has some big remote pastures and forest service leases. cattle can get through fences onto the neighbors. Being able to sort these cattle on horseback and get them back through is easier than driving them to a corral and sorting by tags that may be lost or tattoos. Cattle get brand inspections when transported very far or sold to prove ownership. Some will get rebranded if they are going to be turned out. Hides are a byproduct and obvious proof of ownership is more important to the producer than hide damage that may or may not be docked for at sale time. Packers that buy western origin beef cattle expect brands and that is just a fact of their business. 

2 hours ago, chrisash said:

because you can cut off an ear tag a steal the cow

Just now, chuck123wapati said:

because you can cut off an ear tag a steal the cow

sn also what Bruce said.

Brands, cuts and bruises all give leather a certain character which some people admire., while others abhor.  To each his own, utilize the scars to good effect and you will come closer to pleasing most of them.

Chrisash, ear tags have been used in N. America for decades.  And branding has not been totally abolished in Europe.  Tatooing inside the lip is also used here, as well as RFID chips,  especially on high value stock.  Ear notching is still used on some stock, as well.  

A lot of interesting insights from all sides . ' Cattle rustling' is something you  might hear out of the ol'  ' wild west' , but it still happens . Happens here with sheep. 

They use ear tags on sheep here , obviously .  After reading all the comments, I now have a better appreciation  of branding marks  on leather :specool: Unless I'm told otherwise, they're staying in .

HS

Edited by Handstitched

Can you still buy the books which list brands?

A copy would be handy for when we add some brands to our leather for that 'unique' look,  :lol:

I mean, like, one brand per hide ain't enuf, we need more  ;) 

3 hours ago, fredk said:

Can you still buy the books which list brands?

A copy would be handy for when we add some brands to our leather for that 'unique' look,  :lol:

I mean, like, one brand per hide ain't enuf, we need more  ;) 

Many old brand books are available online for several US states and western Canada provinces.

https://lis-ab.com/brands/brand-books/ for example.

On 9/15/2023 at 9:05 AM, fredk said:

not necessarily, as others have already said..  it happens a lot more frequently than you would think