jasonsmith

Recommend a permanent low sheen sealer

@fredk I suspect some of the people here are truly perplexed about his stubbornness in the face of so many good experiences and proof with M&G and his refusal to even consider it while others  just enjoy needling him a bit. 

Ok, I’m going to bite, I’m getting low on resolene so next weekend when I go to town I’m going to get some mop and glow. So is there more then just one kind of this stuff or is there different mixes? Also, I’m kind of hooked on using an airbrush so I assume this stuff will flow thru an airbrush ok? And, what’s the standard mix? 50/50 with water? Once I get this wonder juice I’ll try it out and post back here. Might be a couple weeks. Worse comes to worse, I’m only out a few bucks and a little time.

1 hour ago, SUP said:

@fredk I suspect some of the people here are truly perplexed about his stubbornness in the face of so many good experiences and proof with M&G and his refusal to even consider it while others  just enjoy needling him a bit. 

Well, technically, aren't I already using Mop and Glo by some other's logic? I already have a new bottle of Eco Flo Satin Sheen, same as I used last time, which some say is just rebranded Mop and Glo. So, haven't I been using Mop and Glo the entire time then? I do plan to do a test where I cut Eco Flo Satin Sheen with 50/50 distilled and see what that does. Though I usually see people recommending the cutting with Resolene.

I'm thinking of getting a 3oz empty flip top bottle from Walmart. And use a syringe to remove 1oz of Eco Flo Satin Sheen and inject it into the empty bottle along with 1oz of distilled water. Shake it and run some tests to compared to Eco Flo Satin Sheet full strength.

I may also buy a bottle of Angelus Matte Finisher and try out a 50/50 distilled water mix with that too.

Has anyone done a 50/50 distilled water mix with Eco Flo Satin Sheen or Angelus Matte Finisher?

I assume it wouldn't be any different than when people do a 50/50 mix of Resolene and water?

I was searching around the forum and saw someone mention a company called Alpha 6.

They sell a few different types of sealers that are "matte". I'll probably contact them to figure out what the differences are between their different matte topcoats and may order one to try. If it is a true "matte" and not kind of glossy like Angelus Matte Finisher.

AlphaKrylik Matte Topcoat 8oz ⋆ Alpha 6 Corporation

AlphaFlex Matte Topcoat 8oz ⋆ Alpha 6 Corporation

3 hours ago, jasonsmith said:

Well, technically, aren't I already using Mop and Glo by some other's logic? 

You finally figured out what everyone was telling you Congrats!!!  

Just now, chuck123wapati said:

You finally figured out what everyone was telling you Congrats!!!  

Then what exactly is the problem if I use Eco Flo Satin Sheen since you believe it's Mop and Glo in disguise?

5 minutes ago, jasonsmith said:

Then what exactly is the problem if I use Eco Flo Satin Sheen since you believe it's Mop and Glo in disguise?

I have no idea only you can tell us that, it isn't my thread nor was it my question. I don't understand why you are so defensive about everything? folks have just been trying to help you. You argued you don't want to waste 25 bucks on leather but will happily waste it on a brand name sealer. Spend two or three days now arguing the point and being vehemently against the thought then realize you are using it anyway. Anyway back on topic. 

I have some eco sheen its ok and you can dilute as you wish, its an acrylic sealer, I have some pledge future acrylic floor wax its ok too absolutely no difference between the two. I use them only as a resist for staining my tooling when i need to. All the rest of the time I don't use any of the crap on my stuff. I like more natural finishes on my work as do my customers. You may want to rethink the whole process or even if acrylic is what you need for your project if your goodie flexes it will most likely crack at some point using an acrylic sealer. As we don't know what you projects are we cant help with that.

7 hours ago, Wepster said:

Is this the correct product (there seems to be a couple variants, and some discussion about some versions have been discontinued)?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mop-Glo-Multi-Surface-Floor-Cleaner-32oz-Shines-Protects-Floors/31953097?fulfillmentIntent=In-store&athbdg=L1200&from=/search

That's the one.  I mix it 50/50 with water to thin it.  

9 hours ago, jasonsmith said:

I'm not using Mop and Glo just like how you don't use Resolene. It's a choice I made and a choice you have made. I don't care what you say about Mop and Glo, I'M CHOOSING NOT TO USE IT. I'm only sticking with sealers that are traditional leather sealers, you don't have to agree with it. Also, a little bottle of leather sealer goes a long way. I only spread a thin layer on top of the leather. 

You still refuse to quite get it when you try to make snarky points.  I don't use resolene for the SAME REASON you don't want to use it.  It's creates that plastic look.  

I do use M&G for the opposite reason, because it DOES NOT produce the plastic look that you also don't want.  Which was one of your reasons for looking at other sealers.  

The differences in the two are a feature for me, not a bug.  I don't care what it's sold for.  it does exactly what I want it too.  You care too much what it's sold for, even if it DOES NOT do what you want it too.  

Your belligerent nature in sticking to your guns is impressive though.  

6 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

I have no idea only you can tell us that, it isn't my thread nor was it my question. I don't understand why you are so defensive about everything? folks have just been trying to help you. You argued you don't want to waste 25 bucks on leather but will happily waste it on a brand name sealer. Spend two or three days now arguing the point and being vehemently against the thought then realize you are using it anyway. Anyway back on topic. 

I have some eco sheen its ok and you can dilute as you wish, its an acrylic sealer, I have some pledge future acrylic floor wax its ok too absolutely no difference between the two. I use them only as a resist for staining my tooling when i need to. All the rest of the time I don't use any of the crap on my stuff. I like more natural finishes on my work as do my customers. You may want to rethink the whole process or even if acrylic is what you need for your project if your goodie flexes it will most likely crack at some point using an acrylic sealer. As we don't know what you projects are we cant help with that.

I'm not being defensive when I'm forced to repeat myself over and over again that I'm not going to use Mop and Glo when people keep talking about it after I said I'm not going to use it 3rd post into this thread. I think some here are treating Mop and Glo like a religion.

And I don't have a reason to believe something like Eco Flo Satin Sheen is the same thing as Mop and Glo. Because they aren't really the same product as they are made up of different chemicals for different purposes. Just because both have acrylic in it doesn't mean they're the same thing.

What "natural finish" do you use, or do you mean you don't put a finish on it? My products are arm and shoulder gauntlets that you tie off via paracord through grommets and have spots and spikes and other things on them.

27 minutes ago, chiefjason said:

You still refuse to quite get it when you try to make snarky points.  I don't use resolene for the SAME REASON you don't want to use it.  It's creates that plastic look.  

I do use M&G for the opposite reason, because it DOES NOT produce the plastic look that you also don't want.  Which was one of your reasons for looking at other sealers.  

The differences in the two are a feature for me, not a bug.  I don't care what it's sold for.  it does exactly what I want it too.  You care too much what it's sold for, even if it DOES NOT do what you want it too.  

Your belligerent nature in sticking to your guns is impressive though.  

I don’t think I’ve been belligerent. I just don’t know how many ways I can politely decline to use a particular product that has nothing to do with this thread. Mop and Glo seems to be treated as a religion though. People are free to use it if they want.

6 minutes ago, jasonsmith said:

And I don't have a reason to believe something like Eco Flo Satin Sheen is the same thing as Mop and Glo.

What "natural finish" do you use, or do you mean you don't put a finish on it? My products are arm and shoulder gauntlets that you tie off via paracord through grommets and have spots and spikes and other things on them.

lol  Your still being defensive just look at what you just wrote my friend no one here is against you or anything you want to try or believe.

lol On the other hand you don't have a reason to believe they aren't the same thing either my friend. 

Most of my products are for outdoor use so they get finishes that are more designed for that criteria. More like you would apply to boots for example.

Sounds like roll playing gear? I don't know how well hot sweaty skin would react to an acrylic sealer or if allergies might be a problem. if they are made to flex or get beaten on I doubt you will be happy in the long run with acrylic either. If they are going to be hard like armor then you may want to look into boiled leather I doubt it would need much sealer besides maybe some beeswax or some such natural finish. 

6 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

lol  Your still being defensive just look at what you just wrote my friend no one here is against you or anything you want to try or believe.

lol On the other hand you don't have a reason to believe they aren't the same thing either my friend. 

Most of my products are for outdoor use so they get finishes that are more designed for that criteria. More like you would apply to boots for example.

Sounds like roll playing gear? I don't know how well hot sweaty skin would react to an acrylic sealer or if allergies might be a problem. if they are made to flex or get beaten on I doubt you will be happy in the long run with acrylic either. If they are going to be hard like armor then you may want to look into boiled leather I doubt it would need much sealer besides maybe some beeswax or some such natural finish. 

It’s not armor. Just leather prop replicas with spots and some spikes. I’ve already used eco Flo satin sheen that worked fine 10 years on. Will experiment cutting it 50/50 with water. I use pro dye, so less chance of dye rub off.

Mop and glo - the god’s elixir! :yes:

After reading all this im beginning to think we found a cure for the common cold, ha ha.

1 hour ago, chiefjason said:

That's the one.  I mix it 50/50 with water to thin it.  

Thank you.

2 minutes ago, bladegrinder said:

Mop and glo - the god’s elixir! :yes:

Things you learn as you get older... Never put the preparation h on the same shelf as the tooth paste. Never brush your teeth before coffee!!

On 12/9/2023 at 9:57 AM, Klara said:

Don't worry, German grammar school art teachers 45 years ago also recommended hair spray, but the brand was probably Schwarzkopf or Gard.  

Sadly I always forget to look in the aisle with house cleaning and grooming products and so I still don't know whether something similar to Mop 'nd Glo exists in France :(

I have managed to get Loctite - is it okay for Sam Brown studs or should I buy a special product for them? ;)

lol my knowledge was also from my art teacher.

On 12/9/2023 at 10:33 AM, Mablung said:

You should call Johnson & Johnson to let them know that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OdzRCOR9OM

The world would be a much better place with flavored ky.

Hey, did you guys know men can get pregnant now, I'm actually just being an ignorant ass!! I hope this hits the right spot 

Edited by Doc Reaper

9 hours ago, Doc Reaper said:

Hey, did you guys know men can get pregnant now, I'm actually just being an ignorant ass!! I hope this hits the right spot 

Confirmed :thumbsup: 

A case of beer and box of fried chicken  did it for me  once upon a time  . What I '"gave birth" to the next day  will only get deleted , lol  :) 

10 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

Never brush your teeth before coffee!!

and never have a beer straight after using mouth wash :( 

Meanwhile, back at the Fiebings  sea....er... resole....er.. mop n glo....that shiny stuff :whistle:

HS